My first remap (blacksmoke)

minimadmotorman

Reaction score
Finally made my mind up to go for a blacksmoke remap.

Bought the MPPS cable and read my ecu etc, bought the file from the blacksmoke website and was all armed ready to program it. I hesitated at the last minute as the SW version on my car was later than the file supplied and I was worried about bricking my ECU.

Andrew bent over backwards to give me a solution offering to loan me an ECU while he bench flashed mine or gave me the option to buy a pre-programmed ECU (discounting me for the file I bought). In the end I decided to buy the second ECU then I can always put the car back to standard.

Replaced the ECU this morning no problems and car started fine, cleared down any fault codes with VCDS then took it for a test drive. My car is a 5spd AWX 130PD and the map allegedly gives 162bhp and about 350nm of torque.

Wish I'd done it earlier now! Car just seems to drive like what I always want it to be, OEM+ if you like! No smoke either (got missus to drive it while I followed her down to petrol station and give it some boot).

All in all for £100 I'm happy, I didn't fancy spending £300+ on a bespoke map for such an old car, not did I want an aggressive map, just a little bit extra which is exactly what this is.

Hopefully the fuel economy won't be impacted too much (got 500 mile to do next week so should get a feel for it).

Running up and down the motorway to and from hull DIS still shows ~50mpg which usually when measured tank to tank works out at about 46mpg on my car so no real change in overall fuel consumption so far.

With remaps there isn't usually any penalty on fuel consumption unless you toe it everywhere. The Blacksmoke map is a generic safe map that doesn't push the boundaries but gives a good increase in performance. And as you say makes the car a lot better to drive.

Finally made my mind up to go for a blacksmoke remap.

Bought the MPPS cable and read my ecu etc, bought the file from the blacksmoke website and was all armed ready to program it. I hesitated at the last minute as the SW version on my car was later than the file supplied and I was worried about bricking my ECU.

Andrew bent over backwards to give me a solution offering to loan me an ECU while he bench flashed mine or gave me the option to buy a pre-programmed ECU (discounting me for the file I bought). In the end I decided to buy the second ECU then I can always put the car back to standard.

Replaced the ECU this morning no problems and car started fine, cleared down any fault codes with VCDS then took it for a test drive. My car is a 5spd AWX 130PD and the map allegedly gives 162bhp and about 350nm of torque.

Wish I'd done it earlier now! Car just seems to drive like what I always want it to be, OEM+ if you like! No smoke either (got missus to drive it while I followed her down to petrol station and give it some boot).

All in all for £100 I'm happy, I didn't fancy spending £300+ on a bespoke map for such an old car, not did I want an aggressive map, just a little bit extra which is exactly what this is.

Hopefully the fuel economy won't be impacted too much (got 500 mile to do next week so should get a feel for it).
I was looking for a soft map for my AWX, could you send me a generic file thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator: