My first look at the B7 RS4

japenger

Reaction score
We had an RS4 presentation at work yesterday and got to have a play with the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First impressions are great, it looks a lot fatter and meaner in real life with the flared arches and deeper side
skirts. The model we had was in Daytona grey pearl with the optional 18" 5 spoke wheels. (19" 7 arm double spoke std) The brakes really look the part as they are fooking massive and along with the alloy mirrors and integrated rear spoiler the overall look is impressive.

The interior is basically the same with some nice RS4 touches, The 2 main differences are the seats and steering wheel but there are some less noticeable changes too. The door pulls are alloy with a little slit in them and look and feel classy. The rear seats are also a different shape in the RS4 with a more pronounced bucket to them and of course the RS4 logo.

The steering wheel looks and feels the part with nice grippy thumb mouldings and that little button with a "S" on it looks so inviting! The front seats are the best I've ever sat in, in any car period. They are incredibly comfy and grip you really well. You have three rocker switches on the side that electrically adjust the lumber support and inflate the side bolsters. The side bolsters work really well and when you press the sport button on the steering wheel they tighten up on you nicely. The only down side of the whole car is the somewhat pointless starter switch. These switches are great in a car with a smart key but in the RS4 you have to insert the key conventually turn it on and then reach across for the start button.

However on pressing the start button the 50K price tag becomes understandable. The engine has a nice deep rumbling on tick over and if you press the sport button even at idle you can hear the exhaust note change to a more menacing note. Now because we where in the showroom with people on phones and customers around we weren't allowed to rev it up much however when I was moving the seat back I "accidentally" pressed the throttle pedal. All I can say is it sounds gorgeous when hitting the rev limiter at over 8000rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

rs4front.jpg

rs4front2.jpg

rs4.jpg

rs4rear.jpg

rs4r.jpg

rs4wheel.jpg

rs4frwheel.jpg

rs4seats.jpg

rs4seat.jpg

rs4dash.jpg

rs4steering.jpg

damn, another pair of perfectly good trousers ruined...

on a more serious note, I LOVE the way they've gone back to a circular chrome ring on the steering wheel, rather than that $HITE: not-quite-square crap that the rest of the new audi's have.

Stunning car, but i am in the minority, those wheels above look pony compared to the standard ones.

009__scaled_600.jpg

001__scaled_600.jpg

I much prefer the std 19's too but with the demo RS4's the dealers/press have you get what your given!

Holy mother of God.

Apart from the wheels thats the car I've got on order. So glad I chose that colour, it looks much wider than the press and brochure photos. I just can't wait. Phone call to the dealer on Monday me thinks, push for that delivery date. It really does look the muts nuts.

PaulVWG, any chance you could email those piccies to me I'll PM you with my email address.

Why don't you just save them from this page?

Some car...colour is great too and I also prefer the new style RS4 wheels on it.

How many people are actually not going to spec the 19" RS4 wheels? not many I would assume!

Yes, excellent performance too!, having just looked at ordering a S4 Cab, I hear through good authority that there may be an RS4 Cab!! Anyone have any further news on this?

Who would spoil the car with those 18" wheels, standards are far far better, having said that i can only dream of such a beast being parked on my driveway.

[ QUOTE ]
I "accidentally" pressed the throttle pedal. All I can say is it sounds gorgeous when hitting the rev limiter at over 8000rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool car and thanks for sharing... however I can't help thinking the above is a little daft (although I am guessing the engine was cold) I think this has just explained why I will never again by an Ex Demo car.