My first Audi :)

lumpy_a3_140

Reaction score
Hello..A week ago I picked up my first ever Audi, I have to admit I was a bit like a kid at christmas :)Its a 61 plate ex-demo A3 2.0 TDI Sport 140 with 5k on the clock and I'm over the moon with it. Beautiful to drive and so far I'm finding the 140 engine plenty nippy enough and really economical. Did consider the 170 but to be honest this seems a lovely engine so I'm happy with the choice I made. ( thats not to say I might not consider a little remap further down the line :sly: )So I was looking around the internet this week and this looks like the place to be for Audi drivers so thought I would sign up and post a couple of photos I took quickly on my phone. I'll give it a good clean on the weekend weather permitting and put some better ones up.

Hi, welcome to ASN. Lovely car you have got there. Have a read over in the A3 section, a lot of knowledge in there. Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcome Sandra, I've been looking about and there is tons of info on here. Have the dreaded feeling it might end up giving me expensive ideas though!

Oh and apologies for the formatting on that first post for some reason it lost all the spacing and formatting that was in the preview :think:, I'm sure I must have done something wrong!

Lovely looking car:applaus:, the 140 is a great engine and even better after a remap.

Keep us informed on any updates

haha cheers, I knew the first comments would be about getting it remapped :weight_lift2:

It will be staying standard for a little while at least but a remap is definitely something I will consider. Although the stories of destroyed turbos etc. are a bit worrying! I assume that would also blow away the manufacturers warranty?

Also did I read correctly that these models can no longer be done via the normal port and the ecu has to be physically removed to remap it?

hi Lumpy welcome to the forum. i think thats correct about the ECU - mines the same albeit 1.6 TDI - but you can get a diesel chip for it. not quite the same as a remap, but 15 minute install, can be removed and doesnt show up at the dealers and doesnt give too far off power gains of a remap AFAIK.

its what i'm thinking of doing when my warranty expires, search ABYSS or DTUK on this forum and there is quite a lot of info available.

oh yeah, nice wheels BTW!

Cheers matey, yeah I had a quick look at DTUK earlier and will defo look into it more when/if I decide to go for it. Like yourself though I think I would be reluctant to before the warranty ran out.

Are there many people on here who have got nearly new or new cars remapped and had any issues with warranty claims, servicing etc?

yeh i know. i know the chips shouldn't cause any issues with the car, and i could just remove before going down to the dealers if i did need work done, but i'd just feel too guilty 'deceiving' them. which is ironic when you consider who i'd be deceiving - used car salesmen.

hi Lumpy welcome to the forum. i think thats correct about the ECU - mines the same albeit 1.6 TDI - but you can get a diesel chip for it. not quite the same as a remap, but 15 minute install, can be removed and doesnt show up at the dealers and doesnt give too far off power gains of a remap AFAIK.

its what i'm thinking of doing when my warranty expires, search ABYSS or DTUK on this forum and there is quite a lot of info available.

oh yeah, nice wheels BTW!

So a chip can be removed but a remap can't? May I also ask why your still waiting for your warranty to expire before commencing? Are you a little skeptical about the chip?

It's not a "chip" as such, it' something that goes between the ECU and sensors/actuators to fool the ECU into thinking it is producing standard power when it isn't. They can be removed, yes. But also a car can be flashed back to standard too if it has a proper remap. I've never needed to do it either, dealers just aren't interested in that kind of thing.

Rick

Hi, yeah its mainly because i have a few mods i want to do, cant decide on which one to do first, and don't really have the money for any of them right now as me and Mrs P are saving up for a holiday to disney world.

the month warranty expires is also the month the holiday will be paid off, so thats when i'll have some disposable cash and to me it just makes sense to put it on hold until then. i could be due a bonus from work end of next month, and if i get something nice in my next pay packet i may got a planned mod - but i want cruise control, lowering springs, bigger wheels (currently on 16s) , and leather interior plus the chip - and i ain't gonna get them all. I also cant decide what order to get them in.

i'm not so much skeptical about the chip as i've been on audi forums, vauxhall, fiat, even some toyota ones and read up on them and havent come across any negative reviews as yet - so i'm fairly confident the chip will be safe. and i dont intend on using the chip to push the car to its upper limits - just give me some kick when pulling out and a little more oomph between 30-50mph for overtaking etc.

i just tend to over analyse and research things before buying them. Im not an impulsive buyer.

Hi, yeah its mainly because i have a few mods i want to do, cant decide on which one to do first, and don't really have the money for any of them right now as me and Mrs P are saving up for a holiday to disney world.

the month warranty expires is also the month the holiday will be paid off, so thats when i'll have some disposable cash and to me it just makes sense to put it on hold until then. i could be due a bonus from work end of next month, and if i get something nice in my next pay packet i may got a planned mod - but i want cruise control, lowering springs, bigger wheels (currently on 16s) , and leather interior plus the chip - and i ain't gonna get them all. I also cant decide what order to get them in.

i'm not so much skeptical about the chip as i've been on audi forums, vauxhall, fiat, even some toyota ones and read up on them and havent come across any negative reviews as yet - so i'm fairly confident the chip will be safe. and i dont intend on using the chip to push the car to its upper limits - just give me some kick when pulling out and a little more oomph between 30-50mph for overtaking etc.

i just tend to over analyse and research things before buying them. Im not an impulsive buyer.

I hear you buddy. When you go Disney make sure you get a hot dog... and think of me cause i miss them and they are the best hotdogs in the world! I over analyse too, its not a bad thing when your spending alot of money.

Thing is, I don't know if I should chip my car or remap it. Heard of superchips? Thats where I was thinking of going. I'd have a 1.8TFSI so may go from 170hp tp 210hp for £450... bit apprehensive though

I wouldn't bother with power box (tuning box, chip). All it does is giving the ECU wrong temperature, air pressure values and ECU serves more fuel through the injectors.
Go for a remap.

Hi and welcome to ASN. :) Audi looks stunnings! always wanted an A3 in white but I'm happy with red for the time being!! joy to drive and dont be a stranger on here!! :) you will love this site, very helpful and full of amazing people that always try their best to help out!! :)

thats not always possible unfortunately. i've asked a couple of mappers, and they don't do one for my engine - not the more commonly used ones at least and i wouldn't want to use an unkown if the better mappers can't make me one.

also, you do have the extra cost associated with a map, which for some is an issue.

when it comes to fuel, mine is all paid for by my company, so if my MPG drops it won't cost me anything - i'd still like to keep it higher where possible though.

and as long as the chip box gives the increases i want, and doesn't contribute towards mechanical faults etc for me its a better option.

I wouldn't bother with power box (tuning box, chip). All it does is giving the ECU wrong temperature, air pressure values and ECU serves more fuel through the injectors.
Go for a remap.

Hi and welcome to ASN. :) Audi looks stunnings! always wanted an A3 in white but I'm happy with red for the time being!! joy to drive and dont be a stranger on here!! :) you will love this site, very helpful and full of amazing people that always try their best to help out!! :)

Thanks! Been having a good lurk around the forums and fair play there's some lovely cars on here, the time people must spend on them to achieve some of these results is mind boggling!

As I mentioned originally I'd like to keep it standard for a while as I'm loving the car and I think that 140 is a cracking little engine. However I must admit the more I read about a re-map the more I fancy the idea, will have to restrain myself as I'm completely skint after buying the thing in the first place :blush:

As the weather has finally allowed me to get it shiny clean a few pics! I know it might be a bit 'Standard' for a lot of you on here :)

Audi_A3-9.jpg

Audi_A3-3.jpg

Audi_A3-2.jpg

Audi_A3-11.jpg