My First Audi A3 - 170 Quattro Black Edition

Dioufy21

Reaction score
I picked up my Audi A3 - 170 Quattro Black Edition last night, Looking to upgrade the head unit asap!

65zyc1.jpg

Reactions: TimWills28 and Scottyg
Lovely car! Congratulations

@NHN will be able to sort you out on all things retrofit...including the head unit if you want an Audi model.

Looks like a 2010 or newer (looking at wing mirrors) so you don't need to worry about the dreaded oil pump I seem to bang on about constantly.

Hey, It's an 11 plate. I currently have the BNS head unit which I'm not finding the best to use...

What's the issue with the oil pump then? Something I should be looking out for?

Lovely looking car.. Looks sweet. I bet you are really pleased. I got my black edition in Ibis white back in Feb and love it. Just have to reign in on the spending!!

Hey, It's an 11 plate. I currently have the BNS head unit which I'm not finding the best to use...

What's the issue with the oil pump then? Something I should be looking out for?

Anything newer than 2010 the oil pump issue was fixed by Audi so no need to worry.

Just as FYI there is a piece of hex drive (looks just like an allen key) which transmits drive into the oil pump. On 2010 and OLDER cars it is only 77mm long, wears away, rounds off and therefore drive isn't transmitted effectively, low/zero oil pressure, engine goes pop.

On 2010 and NEWER cars Audi increased the 77mm piece to 100mm and fixed the issue.

For peace of mind call your local Audi dealer and ask the length of the hex drive on your car and also for any recalls.

:)

Anything newer than 2010 the oil pump issue was fixed by Audi so no need to worry.

Just as FYI there is a piece of hex drive (looks just like an allen key) which transmits drive into the oil pump. On 2010 and OLDER cars it is only 77mm long, wears away, rounds off and therefore drive isn't transmitted effectively, low/zero oil pressure, engine goes pop.

On 2010 and NEWER cars Audi increased the 77mm piece to 100mm and fixed the issue.

For peace of mind call your local Audi dealer and ask the length of the hex drive on your car and also for any recalls.

:)[/QUOTE. Mines a 2009 can I upgrade it to the newer version to stop that happening

Reactions: Sayam
80,000 pal

They usually start to fail (purely from experience) at 120,000 and over, but it could fail at any time I guess.

You can order a new 77mm drive, the circlip and have your mechanic change it at the next service which will be good for another 80,000 miles I guess.

Alternatively you can have your balance shaft remanufactured to accept the 100mm hex key which effectively fixes the problem 'for life' although I'd still inspect it every 100,000 miles.

They usually start to fail (purely from experience) at 120,000 and over, but it could fail at any time I guess.

You can order a new 77mm drive, the circlip and have your mechanic change it at the next service which will be good for another 80,000 miles I guess.

Alternatively you can have your balance shaft remanufactured to accept the 100mm hex key which effectively fixes the problem 'for life' although I'd still inspect it every 100,000 miles.[/QUOTE. Wonder what the price quotes will be for the replacement vs the remanufactured

I don't know how you're quoting my replies mate but you're messing them up each time. Just press the 'reply' button and leave a gap before typing so I can work out what you're saying :p

Off top of my head, 77mm hex key and clip is about £7 from TPS, the remanufactured ones are about £250 to buy, you send your old one back plus the labour.