my DTM 'build' - story so far, hybrid K04 - custom FMIC

ok been a fair long while since i was on here and a lot has happened in the meantime

as mentioned dtm went to a new home and bought an rs4 (big mistake) hated the thing, big heavy, lazy and lack of boost (fun) just killed it

in an odd turn of events the door got ripped off the rs4 and is now sat waiting for insurance to collect it / decide what they are doing with it....

i sold the DTM to a friend who lives opposite me so when i hadn't seen it for a week or two i asked him where it was, turns out he took it to audi and they managed to remove the front end accidentally :0

well 3 months later and A LOT of cash out of their pockets he got it back;

full brand new front end / bumper / grills / headlights / wings

full front paint - front doors and everything in front inc side skirts

new windscreen

new tyres

refurbed wheels

new top end rebuild with uprated valves and brand new cams

new cambelt kit

replicated all mods inc joey headlights and rs6 grill mod but with black optic surround this time

so there it was opposite my house everyday looking fresher than ever, meanwhile i'm driving a 1.6 fsi touran waiting for insurance to sort the RS4 out, so i spoke to my mate and we struck a deal

i have the DTM back :D still needs mapping but it's mine once again :)

Reactions: tr7, Stanningtonglen, Ash B and 2 others
I'm glad I went DTM to B8 S4 as I looked at B7 RS4's but had a nagging feeling that I'd not really like one after a short time.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the mapping.

Reactions: Ash B
you know - i hate the RS4 not because it's a bad car but just a massive disappointment, and 12mpg average was not worth the 'power' output - DTM was faster and a lot more fun.

also no one likes you when you drive an rs4 - they look at you like you're a jumped up idiot :D

within a week of driving my touran lowered on alloys i got a thumbs up and nod on the motorway, that never happened once in the RS

I'm glad you will be getting the chance to finish it off after the amount of work you put into it first time around.
I can totally understand why you got rid though with the amount of grief it gave you.

mapper is looking at the files on wednesday :)

Reactions: Broken Byzan
haha this guy is local, he mapped my RS4 for me and he's not happy unless you're (i'm) happy.

it runs like crap at the mo, told him i just want it running properly, anything north of 360 would be nice but good running is my main concern at the mo. then in the future i can decide if i should go BT or sell this engine and fit stock cdl motor that will be easier to tune.

more interested in building my touran at the moment though :D

Reactions: Broken Byzan
Who you having map it, Bobby?

If so I believe he's pretty much a god, so you should be more than happy with it.

yes indeed, he did my RS4 and was happy with that apart from MPG but that was my fault haha

I couldn't believe you sold it tbh. The finest example of a DTM ever. Everybody knows your build inspired me to loose the plot and almost end my marriage

Jokes aside, I'll look forward to seeing what you do next. As o said to you the other week.... We could do with someone like you at C R Motorsport

Reactions: A3-Lee
Hey olethalb great to have you back on the forums again.

Very random question your RS 4 "with the door issue" it isn't white by any chance and has the details KD06 xxx

Hey olethalb great to have you back on the forums again.

Very random question your RS 4 "with the door issue" it isn't white by any chance and has the details KD06 xxx

sure is bud :D

thanks craig, you're maling me want a BT now i must stay off your FB page haha

thanks craig, you're maling me want a BT now i must stay off your FB page haha
No! You need to keep going on my Facebook page, then you can go BT, then the red car and the blue car can have a race

Reactions: A3-Lee and Broken Byzan
Hi, I've got a quick question, I've got a turbo from a s3 2010 and I've just found out that the water feeds for the turbo is m15 1.5thread and the threads for the Dtm are m14 how did you go about that and what could I do to get around it? I could get some breaded pipes made up, but what are the lengths would I need? I can't take the car to bits at the moment as I need for work . So if you could help out that would be great . Thanks

Hi, I've got a quick question, I've got a turbo from a s3 2010 and I've just found out that the water feeds for the turbo is m15 1.5thread and the threads for the Dtm are m14 how did you go about that and what could I do to get around it? I could get some breaded pipes made up, but what are the lengths would I need? I can't take the car to bits at the moment as I need for work . So if you could help out that would be great . Thanks
Both are the same M14x1.5 banjos, both have same part number also.

No there different, the water inlet and return are bigger holes on the chra on the k04 3504 9700064 the oil pipes are the m14-1.5 the same as the DTM. Just not the water, was thinking to use braided lines with m14 and m15 either side on the return but on the inlet it's just a clip attached to the pipe line running to the top of the engine. Has anyone used braided lines ? Thanks

Last edited:
How do you know it's an M15?
Because I was on the phone to turbo dynamics and they told me that in the s3 turbo I have it has m15 water inlet and return and also I checked with a m15 bolt . Because when I was explaining my turbo they told me it wouldn't fit my engine! I have to do what the lad who started this post done . That's why I was asking what he done to get round this problem!

Okay had the chra tested at the local hydronic company, G.T hydrolics . All are M12 apart from the water line M14 but just for peace of mind I'm getting braided lines done as there through my company and they will do me good . Turbo install Friday the 15th/16th along with the injectors. Mapping in June . Keep you posted :)

Okay had the chra tested at the local hydronic company, G.T hydrolics . All are M12 apart from the water line M14 but just for peace of mind I'm getting braided lines done as there through my company and they will do me good . Turbo install Friday the 15th/16th along with the injectors. Mapping in June . Keep you posted :)
Never had any problems with the banjo bolt on mine when I installed the k04 hybrid.

Are you going to make a build thread?

Never had any problems with the banjo bolt on mine when I installed the k04 hybrid.

Are you going to make a build thread?
Yeah I wil do once a I get all the work done, I've been taking pictures as I've been going . So turbo and mapping to get done then it's finished for now .

Yeah I wil do once a I get all the work done, I've been taking pictures as I've been going . So turbo and mapping to get done then it's finished for now .
It's just good to get people in the loop by posting as you go, that way people can follow your build and become more interested in your progress. Where as posting it all at once makes it less appealing. I've done 2 different ones and it makes for an interesting read

Was just about to say the water are m14 and oil m12. Same as the k03 that would have been on there
I was curious as to why I never noticed this. Thought maybe the 2010 was a different turbo for a second.
I even used the k03 piping for my k04

Just a quick question where did you manage to get the diverted valve flange as my new turbo doesn't have the valve flange on the housing!! Need to relocate it and I need the parts by Thursday as it's going for the turbo upgrade and I need the valve on the car so I don't damage the turbo . Cheers

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I see this motor around my area all the time. I try to drive down the road it is parked on just to have a oogle at it. Love it!! Keep up the work if it is still yours, if not, put your hard work into something else!!

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I see this motor around my area all the time. I try to drive down the road it is parked on just to have a oogle at it. Love it!! Keep up the work if it is still yours, if not, put your hard work into something else!!
When you last see it? pretty sure it was written off by the new owner and parted out quite recently unless I missed something.
Such a shame.

Reactions: mattmanwrx
When you last see it? pretty sure it was written off by the new owner and parted out quite recently unless I missed something.
Such a shame.

Going by the reg, which could easily have been sold on. Saw it yesterday. I'll look closer to see if front mount is there. It is low and got carbon and lovely wheels etc. Just looks lovely and thought I'd saw the plate before, which I had! Is very local to me either way, and has that plate on it.

Going by the reg, which could easily have been sold on. Saw it yesterday. I'll look closer to see if front mount is there. It is low and got carbon and lovely wheels etc. Just looks lovely and thought I'd saw the plate before, which I had! Is very local to me either way, and has that plate on it.
Brought back from the dead perhaps :)

Fingers crossed. Would be a shame to see it off the road!! If I'm working in the area today I'll have a look. Could have all gone to another DTM though

Reactions: DrStrange
Its different DTM but parts from the old one, and in new owners hand.

Reactions: mattmanwrx
as i was gearing up for the K04 swap i spoke to MRC who advised FMIC - the kits i had seen weren't too impressive, either required bumper chopping or losing the crash bar, neither was an option

i measured up and went for a core intended for another audi

A4DTM21812007.jpg

A4DTM21812008.jpg

then set about mocking up custom hard boost pipes with a variety of ally bends

a4DTM26812b004.jpg

A4DTM21812004.jpg

A4DTM21812005.jpg

A4DTM21812009.jpg

mocked them all up to size and correct path making no contact and gave them to my ally welder

also decided to weld the s3 dv flange to the boost pipe

a4DTM26812b001.jpg

A4DTM28812003.jpg

A4DTM29812001.jpg

A4DTM29812008.jpg

A4DTM29812005.jpg

painted and fitted

A4DTM29812010.jpg

A4DTM29812009.jpg

A4DTM29812014.jpg

A4DTM29812024.jpg

A4DTM29812019.jpg
HI awesome car and build thread, if you don't mind me asking what intercooler did you fit and did you have any issues with it?
Thanks Gareth