My dream is over

lol it just annoys me at times mate, people don't see how others less fortunate live and don't understand how hard they have it! It's easy for most of us on here to say "It's only £50 for some car wax" and buy it, but some struggle to find £5 for their kids lunch :)

Lunch *** whats that...lol l take a "Asda" "Bag for life" too work with some soup bread and a few bits of this n that too work with me, Nuke it in Micro.....and jobs a Good Un...lol.....no flannel with me...............biggest drain on my resources are my Boys................and l dont grudge a single penny..lol then there's ****** HER.................man............. shes a ungrateful female.......Perma Tan Avril as she's known as...................via muggins and if you think car prices have gone up check holidays........Elon Musk.....needs to invent a battery powered plane.........lol

Reactions: Jcbmally, Tom.H and DW81
So you can afford to buy a car worth £30k+, but you can't afford £1.23 a day in road tax? As already stated, maybe over stretching to buy the car in the first place was the wrong thing to do. What happens if you need tyres? Just not bother?

Plus, it may be £450 a year, but it's only a couple hundred quid (less than 3 tanks of fuel) more than it was before the new VED bands.

If you were stretching that much, then maybe go for a 2 or 3 year old S3, or look at the S1. Cracking cars by all accounts.

Daughter had an S1 from new, what a machine that is, proper pocket rocket and with added Quattro is some motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
Great THREAD this......going the same route as the PCP one...................lol...............Aye roll on the lighter Nights....Cabin fever is what's to blame/SADS...........lol

Reactions: MattSedg, richinsoton, Tom.H and 4 others
I was lucky and found a facelift 17 plate s3 sb with enough options on just under the 40k

Its £140 roadtax

£310 extra if it was over £40k list with options (there is confusion with Audi re the on the road costs and whether they are included in that 40k, they arent, DVLA confirmed this)

You can pay in installments monthly, but your best bet is to try and find a car under 40k list with the right options

The salesguy that sold me the car thought it was £450 but I rang DVLA and they checked it, so it was a bonus as I was up for paying it if I had to !

Correct me if I am wrong but what you are saying is that it is the list price of the car, not the on the road price.
If that’s correct there are loads of S3 owners in my neck of the woods all getting stung by our local Audi dealer.

If you want SB may be consider the Golf R, pretty the same car but some very good deals out there.

Prior to my my FL S3 I had a fully loaded MK7 Golf R from new.
One amazing motor, with road handling that is 2nd to none.

Tbh my S3 cannot touch the R for road handling, especially on the little twisty country back roads.

lol it just annoys me at times mate, people don't see how others less fortunate live and don't understand how hard they have it! It's easy for most of us on here to say "It's only £50 for some car wax" and buy it, but some struggle to find £5 for their kids lunch :)
Surely if someone is struggling financially they dont consider buying a £40k+ car.

Reactions: DW81
ah but plenty do.....
and they 'deserve' expensive holidays.....
in my day..... nah, you don't want to hear :smile:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and richinsoton
Daughter had an S1 from new, what a machine that is, proper pocket rocket and with added Quattro is some motor.

Very different beast to an S3

Correct me if I am wrong but what you are saying is that it is the list price of the car, not the on the road price.
If that’s correct there are loads of S3 owners in my neck of the woods all getting stung by our local Audi dealer.

The main dealer I bought from thought it was £450 too so I was preparing myself for that, but I did some checks as I do, checked the list price of the car on the configurator and rang DVLA who confirmed it was just under 40k list with options and that it was £140 which is what Ive paid. The dealer doesnt pocket the road tax its the Gov. Just to clarify my car is a 17 plate facelift sportback s3 black edition 1st registered in June 2017 and I bought it last week.

It seems to be a little unclear with the dealers whether the tax is with or without on the road charges, such as delivery and number plates and the £200 first year emiisions charge at registration for being 150 g/km, which they surely cannot charge you and then put your car into the 40k bracket and charge you again.

It would be worth them (your S3 mates) checking to see if the main dealer they bought from has entered the car incorrectly with DVLA as someone must have to send the details to them at the time of first registration.

PS I just looked at the OTR on the road cost which is £885 on the S3 SB black edition, £55 is a gov charge to register, £200 first year tax for 150g/km so that leaves £630 for delivery and number plates inc vat....as I said I dont see how the gov could charge the £255 if they do.....I cant see that they do because my car would then be over 40k as it was very close on the list with options at 1st reg.

Im presuming these cars may have gone up slightly also in the last 6 months.

Last edited:
Surely if someone is struggling financially they dont consider buying a £40k+ car.
You are missing the point, it doesn't just have to be when you are buying a £40k car, read my other posts in this thread. It's easy to say "Pay the extra" when you have nothing else to spend your money on. If everyone said "Oh I'll just pay the extra" everyone would have RS3's and be having their homes reposed when they find they have spent too much on a car and not worked to a budget of what they can 'comfortably' afford. So who has the right to tell someone to pay the extra when they don't know their financial position?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and richinsoton

This is the response I had from DVLA when I asked the question as I wasn't sure how it worked.

Helen from DVLA said:
Hi Tom,

If your new car is registered on or after the 1 April 2017 it will fall under the new car tax rules.

The list price is the manufacturers quoted price for the vehicle the day before the vehicle is first registered. It is not the list price at the point of ordering.

It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence.

It's important to note that the manufacturers list price is the price before any incentives or discounts so may not be what is paid for the vehicle.

I hope that helps let me know if you need any more information

Helen
Helen Jones
Service Designer - First Registration & VED Reform Project

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
l know too well mate but my 718 Boxster was far more expensive something like £53k,besides that its a one off,wont but wont do it again
I am looking at a Cayman, but having read reviews about the new engine, not sure it's going to be that much different in terms of enjoyment from the engine than the S3.

Gatekeeper alert.

I earn just under £200,000 a year, and can lease practically any car I want. If this S3 had been 50 quid a month more than it was, I'd have walked away because it would've been too expensive.

The reality is that the S3 isn't a particularly brilliant car, and it's completely understandable that someone would have a hard limit on what they were prepared to spend for a small hatchback. It's not an Aston Martin.

Deciding that it's not worth the money doesn't equate to struggling financially.

Reactions: Jassyo06, richinsoton, daytonamart and 2 others
Jealous of that salary CROCOP. Got any other beauties in the garage?!

Christ no, Tim, a second car would cost 500 quid a year for a second parking permit in my name. Wife drives a £140 a month Golf TDI, and she earns about the same. I explicitly promised myself I'd never live to my means - I can remember vividly what it's like to be broke.

Did begin my search for a new car with an RS6 in mind, but took it for an extended test drive and got 10mpg in traffic. Sod that. It was also the size of an oil tanker. I was a little obsessed with getting it for a few months, it's an undeniable status symbol. London is full of Ferraris and Lambos, but the RS6 always turns my head. I was devastated when I realised I couldn't get it, but you've got to be brutal, because the money rarely lasts if you spend with your heart.

Reactions: Jassyo06, richinsoton, Tom.H and 1 other person
Christ no, Tim, a second car would cost 500 quid a year for a second parking permit in my name. Wife drives a £140 a month Golf TDI, and she earns about the same. I explicitly promised myself I'd never live to my means - I can remember vividly what it's like to be broke.

Did begin my search for a new car with an RS6 in mind, but took it for an extended test drive and got 10mpg in traffic. Sod that. It was also the size of an oil tanker. I was a little obsessed with getting it for a few months, it's an undeniable status symbol. London is full of Ferraris and Lambos, but the RS6 always turns my head. I was devastated when I realised I couldn't get it, but you've got to be brutal, because the money rarely lasts if you spend with your heart.
I too work in London and see more supercars than I do any rs audi. Since I bought my rs3 last August I’ve seen more Porsche’s and r8’s than I have of the rs3. A very exclusive club yet costs the fraction of the price of some of these cars:sunglasses:

The disparity in earnings between the rest of the UK and London is enormous.
£50k is a relatively less than middle management IT salary down south, as an example client facing IT helpdesk is >£30k in our company.

Like CROCOP i am doing alright and very nearly bought a new RS6 cash a couple of years back, part of the reason I didn't was the Audi salesman told me it was the quickest way to lose money within the Audi range! I for one, despite having a few quid, hate the idea of losing too much cash and have to justify to myself every significant purchase hence the S3 bought as an interim. I still have it and feel that most of the time it does exactly what I want it to do and has only lost £5k a year.

Never judge wealth/affordability/success by the car that is driven.

Last edited:
Reactions: daytonamart and Jassyo06
The disparity in earnings between the rest of the UK and London is enormous.
£50k is a relatively less than middle management IT salary down south, as an example client facing IT helpdesk is >£30k in our company.

Like CROCOP i am doing alright and very nearly bought a new RS6 cash a couple of years back, part of the reason I didn't was the Audi salesman told me it was the quickest way to lose money within the Audi range! I for one, despite having a few quid, hate the idea of losing too much cash and have to justify to myself every significant purchase hence the S3 bought as an interim. I still have it and feel that most of the time it does exactly what I want it to do and has only lost £5k a year.

Never judge wealth/affordability/success by the car that is driven.

Well even the rich don't buy there cars out right, my sons best mate is the general manager of Bentley Glasgow and most of them are on pcp as are most Maclarens

Reactions: Tom.H
^^ good point.
Most 'rich' people have rich people's liabilities..........at the start of the crash remember the numbers of cars and houses being repossessed from 'supposed' rich people. The depreciation on a Mclaren is pretty steep also so would never buy one, nor would I ever want to buy a Maclaren.....hehe

p.s. when I was 18 I had a credit card txn declined due to insufficient funds, since then I have hated the concept of liability thus try and avoid it at all costs. Partly Scottish me ;)

Last edited:
Well even the rich don't buy there cars out right, my sons best mate is the general manager of Bentley Glasgow and most of them are on pcp as are most Maclarens

It's like the more money you got the more "sensible" choices you make (sort of). My girlfriend's cousin is a partner at Goldman Sachs and lives in the middle of London. He got rid of his Lamborghini because he couldn't fit a childseat in it and now he doesn't even own a car because there is too much traffic in London...

It's like the more money you got the more "sensible" choices you make (sort of). My girlfriend's cousin is a partner at Goldman Sachs and lives in the middle of London. He got rid of his Lamborghini because he couldn't fit a childseat in it and now he doesn't even own a car because there is too much traffic in London...
My hearts breaking for em lol

I will never forget what the Hungarian taxi driver told me that picked me up from the airport last October on my collection day, he lived in the Heathrow area in a 2 bedroom flat he rented and paid £1200@month rent, up in Glasgow that would get you a 4 bedroom detached house with multiple ensuit bathrooms with a double garage etc etc London is **** hole lol

Reactions: BarryG79 and Tom.H
It's okay saying well it's only another fiver a week, therefore you can't afford the car, but I could afford the car & I certainly would begrudge giving the tax man another £5 per week when I could spend it better elsewhere. £450 for each of the 1st 5 yrs no way Jose!! :)

Reactions: KyleS3, ACWKGYTO and LeeDaviesS3
My hearts breaking for em lol

I will never forget what the Hungarian taxi driver told me that picked me up from the airport last October on my collection day, he lived in the Heathrow area in a 2 bedroom flat he rented and paid £1200@month rent, up in Glasgow that would get you a 4 bedroom detached house with multiple ensuit bathrooms with a double garage etc etc London is **** hole lol

For info I work with a guy who pays >£2500 per month rent on a two bed flat in Paddington............nuts.
London is a cool place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
But that guy in Paddington probably also makes double what he would working outside of London.

London is overpriced, don't get me wrong, but this is where you come to make it happen financially. From my perspective, I'm a photographer, and I charge between 2800-3500 a day for a commercial shoot. This is the only part of the country where I can get anywhere near that. If I was in Manchester, I'd be charging around 850.

If you move to London, and you get a "job", you're doing it wrong. You move to London with a career goal and you smash the s**t out of it 24/7 until you break. Then you sell your flat for 1mil+ and you move to somewhere nice. I feel sorry for anyone who has to rent in this place, because that's when you're truly screwed - I've got friends who've been renting small flats in nice areas at 2500 a month for 15 years+. It's a trap.

Between 2014 and 2016, I had to rent a second flat in a catchment area for a good school. We hadn't sold our previous flat yet, and along with nursery fees of 1700 a month, our monthly outgoings, for two years, came to over £7000. Wasn't earning anywhere near what I earn now, either.

But we made it work. When you win in London, you win big.

Reactions: Tom.H and daytonamart
Gatekeeper alert.

I earn just under £200,000 a year, and can lease practically any car I want. If this S3 had been 50 quid a month more than it was, I'd have walked away because it would've been too expensive.

The reality is that the S3 isn't a particularly brilliant car, and it's completely understandable that someone would have a hard limit on what they were prepared to spend for a small hatchback. It's not an Aston Martin.

Deciding that it's not worth the money doesn't equate to struggling financially.
I don't see what this has to do with my response to a previous post talking about people struggling financially but looking at buy £40k+ cars!

I don't see what this has to do with my response to a previous post talking about people struggling financially but looking at buy £40k+ cars!

So he can let us all know he earns £200k a year, and so does his wife !!

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, LeeDaviesS3 and Audi Bairn

I actually read your post completely wrong, but by the time I had cottoned on, I'd already been replied to by someone else. My bad, I'm not the most observant of people, and tend to skim when I should be concentrating.

Reactions: Flowrider99
So he can let us all know he earns £200k a year, and so does his wife !!

Most adults can freely discuss their income without it being a willy-waving contest. You need to work on your self-esteem.

Reactions: richinsoton and Lehn
Most adults can freely discuss their income without it being a willy-waving contest. You need to work on your self-esteem.

Funny, as I always think it's the other way round. Those on average salaries, or minimum wage, are usually the ones more happy to say what they earn.

Once people get above say £45/50k tend to keep more quite about how much they earn. Maybe because we live in a liberal society where everyone is supposed to be equal, and openly discussing you earn more than others is frowned upon, as `They` don't earn what you do, so you shouldn't either.

You're equating economic models with social systems. For some reason.

No, I'm simply stating a fact of the times we live in these days, where success in the UK is seen as bad, or that your are showing off. While elsewhere in the world, it's seen by others as something to work hard at and achieve the same.

I wasn't having a go at your salary. far from it. If you earn that, then good on you. It was a tongue in cheek comment. But the missing :sm4: probably made it not come across that way.

Cool man, apologies if I came off as a ****, I misread your post in that case. All good.

I love London, but again I wouldn't live there - unless I had £20mil to spend on a house out of the way with a nice garden etc.

Travelling past Blackfriars near on every day, I looked up the apartments being built next to the railway (One Blackfriars), the cheapest one on the site I found was £1,300,000 for a 1 bedroom, going up to £13,250,000 for a 3 bedroom!

I second this.
I have a friend who has a brand new Lamborghini Huracan on finance.
£80,000 deposit and around £2,000 per month payments :O :O :O:wtf::racer::haudrauf:

Reactions: Mythos
It does seem very common for the rich to do finance. When my dad worked at BMW Sunningdale he sold some cars to very wealthy people (houses costing several million), some pay cash, some pay finance, some buy the cars without even a test drive! What a life to live :)

It does seem very common for the rich to do finance. When my dad worked at BMW Sunningdale he sold some cars to very wealthy people (houses costing several million), some pay cash, some pay finance, some buy the cars without even a test drive! What a life to live :)
Some people have too much money! I looked at a BMW Z4 a few years back, the sales guy said that he'd had a customer in that bought a top spec one and wanted to pay cash for it. He tried to explain to him that if he bought it on finance he would get the finance contribution and save about £4,000 then wait a few weeks and pay it off in full. The customer's reply was "Oh no I don't want finance" and paid the full amount!!! :blink: As you say, it must be nice not to have to think/work it out how to save a few grand!

Reactions: PeterPatch1, oli356 and Tom.H
Not totally fair, you can’t pay VED in monthly instalments, whereas buying the car you can. Yes we could all save £20 a month (actually more like £40) but in reality that’s often easier said than done.
New car tax rates are really quite cheeky, and go against all the government rubbish about pushing towards environmentally friendly motors.
Yes you can pay it monthly

Some people have too much money! I looked at a BMW Z4 a few years back, the sales guy said that he'd had a customer in that bought a top spec one and wanted to pay cash for it. He tried to explain to him that if he bought it on finance he would get the finance contribution and save about £4,000 then wait a few weeks and pay it off in full. The customer's reply was "Oh no I don't want finance" and paid the full amount!!! :blink: As you say, it must be nice not to have to think/work it out how to save a few grand!
He probably had some money which needed cleaning.....

Reactions: Jassyo06 and S32B