1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

My DIY guide for Retro fitting Puddle Lights

RobinA3 Jul 19, 2008

1. e9_mustii

e9_mustii Registered User

No i can take it apart and rotate it but i cant be asked as when i initially bought then they where meant to say "S3" so they've sent me the wrong ones. They'll be sending me the correct ones at no extra cost so don't see the point in remove and taking apart to rotate lense as im just going to remove them and they'll gather dust somewhere

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DrSasso

DrSasso Registered User

Ahhhhh fair one :D

4. Muzzy

Muzzy Registered User

Hi I’m trying to fit puddle lights into an A3 2014 version and have noticed 18 & 19 have no pins in the connector. Does anyone know how I should wire these up???

Attached Files:

5. e9_mustii

Bro 18 and 19nisnfor facelift 2009-2013 if you in a 8v it may be different your in the wrong section of the forum, but if im.weong and it is a 8p the 18 and 19 where empty on mine to you just push them into the connecter 18 is + 19 is - if im not wrong

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. RobinA3

RobinA3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

^^^ correct, 8V’s uses different pins.

7. martinivw

martinivw :)

Fitted mine today ........ bought the looms in 2010!! Lol

RobinA3 and DrSasso like this.
  8. Muzzy

Muzzy Registered User

Pin 12 is the feed and 13 is Earth but u need to share the earth.

9. Panos_RR

Panos_RR Registered User

I did mine as a weekend project last week in my A1 2014. I had to do some tests to find the right pin , I used the common pin between driver and passenger side . After switch on from VCDS i measured the voltage on the pins and the behavior with the door open and closed. Pin 16 is the one for mine, works perfect on with the status of the door (open closed) you still need to share the earth (pin 5) in my case at least.

10. John_A5

John_A5 Registered User

Hi guys

I am completely new to the audi scene and would like to add the warning lights and puddle lights to my A5. I'm confident with the wiring but not sure about the program side on VCDS.
    My question is why is this required? Surely as long as the lights get a earth and live feed they will just light up if we're "piggy backing" off existing loom?
    Apologies for my lack of knowledge around this

John

11. John_A5

John_A5 Registered User

Hi guys

I am completely new to the world of Audis and VCDS. I would love to install the warning lights and puddle lights to my A5. Think I'm okay with the wiring but not to sure on the programming side. Can I ask why coding is required? Surely if you're just "piggy backing" off an existing power and earth feed then it will work?
    Sorry for the lack of knowledge here

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. John_A5

John_A5 Registered User

Hi guys

I am completely new to the world of Audis and VCDS. I would love to install the warning lights and puddle lights to my A5. Think I'm okay with the wiring but not to sure on the programming side. Can I ask why coding is required? Surely if you're just "piggy backing" off an existing power and earth feed then it will work?

14. John_A5

John_A5 Registered User

Hi guys

15. RobinA3

You’re not piggy backing off an existing power supply, the puddle lights get supply off a certain pin on the door controller and the door controller needs to be coded so that it gives that particular pin 12v.

16. George Kost

George Kost Registered User

Hello all,

I have an 5-door A3 facelift (09/2009 build. Plate 59 I think).
    I will do the fitting this weekend.

On VCDS I need to code both front and rear doors (42, 52, 62, 72)?
    Or only front (42-Door Elect. Driver and 52-Door Elect. Pass)?

Best regards,
    George

17. Daniel James

Daniel James Registered User

tried looking through this complete thread but cant see anywhere to see what bulb the standard puddle lights are ? I have puddle lights as standard but want to upgrade them to LED but the only ones I can see on ebay are a complete unit instead of just the bulb

(sorry if ive missed it in this thread)

18. henkkeumus

henkkeumus Dutch Retrofitfanatic

You need to code all doors seperatly yes.

LED doesn't use a bulb but ... LED :D.
    If you want LED you need to swap the whole light unit, so just order new ones from eBay or the Chinese website and make sure the connector is the same you should be good :).

Few examples; https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1000...8811IsZPXYYzpXWXgWRoCL4QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_53

George Kost likes this.
  19. Daniel James

Daniel James Registered User

Yeah that’s what I meant but like .... for example old side lights are 501 bulbs so the led equivalent if you know what I mean

20. e9_mustii

If you have the wiring then no coding should be required simple.replace modules, my car didnt have it so i had to install the loops and make the cut outs in the door cards aswell as code it to work

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

21. badscorpion

badscorpion Registered User

Thanks nice help:Black B7:

22. RobinA3

Have a look at EMtuning website for replacement bulbs, he supplies with replacement LED bulbs for my kits.

23. George Kost

Quick question:
    do the warning and puddle lights go off after some time?
    I installed them this weekend. Super happy.
    But noticed that they do still work if I disable the lights from the cluster in the roof.

Best regards,
    George

Attached Files:

24. RobinA3

Yes they go off when you close the doors.

25. George Kost

No I mean if they go off after some time with the doors open. If there is a timer or something.

26. e9_mustii

No

27. e9_mustii

The only timer will be a flat battery

George Kost and Bryant1998 like this.
  28. RobinA3

ah ok, yes they will switch off after about 10 mins automatically.

29. milkyjoe01

milkyjoe01 Registered User

Hi Robin. I think it's molex pins you use to connect the loom to the door connector. Can you tell me what the part number is please for the pins? Thanks.

30. RobinA3

No.

I don't have the part number for them, I don't buy them from Audi otherwise it would cost me a lot more than the £15 a harness that I charge.

I buy all my terminals and connectors directly from the manufacturer to be able to offer them for £15 per harness. If you are to buy all the terminals and connectors from Audi then you'll be looking at about £20 just to make 1 harness.

I know that we have spoken via ebay but if you look at the kit you were messaging me about if you bought all the bits to make that kit via Audi then you'll be spending a lot more than what I sell the kits for.

31. milkyjoe01

I have most of the items needed, I only require the molex pins from molex & just need the part no. that you used when you purchased your pins if you wouldn't mind sharing the info. Thanks,.

32. George Kost

You mean the small pins?
    They are called MQS terminals.

Attached Files:

33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. milkyjoe01

Yes, the small terminals that pluig into the door connector. What size are they & where do I purchase them from?

35. George Kost

Google “MQS terminal connectors”.
    You can find them on eBay, AliExpress or more serious suppliers like te, mouser.

36. milkyjoe01

What size do I need? There seems to be quite a few different sizes. Thx

37. RobinA3

George Kost likes this.