My DIY door blade/rear bumper insert carbon fiber wrap.

Shane-Ireland

Reaction score
So last week tried my hand a DIY carbon fibre wrapping the door blades and rear bumper insert.

The door blades are easy to take off (good to clean in behind them anyway) and to do the rear bumper insert i had to remove the bumper and unclip the insert.

The process was to wrap them with some self adhesive (faux) carbon fibre - it's not a race car and i'm not looking to save weight :D

After wrapping i gave them 3 coats of lacquer and then wet sanded them with 1000/2000 grit and then brought them back up with some compound and finally applied a layer of Hi - Def wax.

Not every ones cup of tae but i think it freshens it up a little,the door blades were looking a little tired after 12 years.

Some pics....

IMG_8949.jpg

IMG_8950.jpg

IMG_8951.jpg

IMG_8953.jpg

IMG_8955.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8962.jpg

Not 100% happy with some of the folds and tucks that are out of sight anyway,so might re do one or two of them,also plan to tackle the front bumper insert minus the grills/spot lights of course.

Thoughts??

I like the rear bumper insert alot not so sure about the door blades but either way you have done a very good job with the wrapping so well done :)

Looks cool man. nice job!

do you reckon with enough laquer build up and flatting you could get them to a glossy smooth finish and make it look like real laquered carbon?

I like the rear bumper insert alot not so sure about the door blades but either way you have done a very good job with the wrapping so well done :)

Thanks.

Impressive, must of took alot of time and patience !!

I've plenty of patience,didn't really take that long - waiting for lacquer to dry was main hold up lol

Looks cool man. nice job!

do you reckon with enough laquer build up and flatting you could get them to a glossy smooth finish and make it look like real laquered carbon?

Maybe so prawn,my main problem was i didn't have a rotary to hand.might be getting access to a mates soon if so i'll clean them up and apply a few more coats of lacquer and try again.