My car has no long term memory!

firebits

A4 Avant Sport 1.4 TFSI
Reaction score
My car has memory issues. Every few days or so the odometer and the long term trip computer resets itself to zero. It's a pain, it hasn't been able to tell me how much I have got to a full tank yet. But I'm more worried it maybe indicative of a more serious problem. Has anyone else had this issue?

Are you sure your not pressing down on the left hand steering wheel wheel control as that resets everything.

Are you sure your not pressing down on the left hand steering wheel wheel control as that resets everything.

Yes. Last night I finished a 300 mile journey and it was showing 50.4 Mpg. Today, when I started the car the odometer had reset to 0 miles and short and long term counters where reset to zero.

I know that there were two short term trip counters on the B8.5 and one would reset itself each time the car was turned off for a certain amount of time, is that maybe what it is? The other trip and the overall odometer were unaffected though.

My long-term trip logger has also reset itself randomly a couple of times (definitely no buttons pressed). Sounds exactly the same as you firebits, to be honest I'm not too bothered, was just going to mention it first time I need to go back to the dealer.

Mine has been doing the same. Again haven't been able to see how many miles I get on a tank. I just assumed I was accidentally pressing the reset button somehow...

Sigh, a common fault. That is depressing and probably never getting fixed :-(

All cars have their 'foibles', they be very uninteresting and we'd have nothing to talk about if they didn't...

It isn't a common fault as like I said, mine doesn't reset unless I physically reset it!

It doesn't take hardly any pressure to push down on the left hand wheel to reset everything and would be very easy to do when driving along or turning the steering wheel.

I've got the opposite, it refuses to reset

Plus one on mine too. Journey to Scotland today and it reset long and short term and trip at 3rd stop we had.

Mine reset again yesterday. Really annoying as I was trying to keep track of my total journeys this week. There's no way I'm resetting it by accident - the button is on the dash board on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

Obviously a bug in the software, this might take some sorting out but Audi head office need to know this is happening so keep pressurising your dealerships...

I can confirm that the car is doing this and no one else. I had my suspicions that it may be a keen 4 year old that was responsible however it's happened twice in two days last week with no children having been in the car.

When you say odometer, do you mean the actual main odometer (bottom left) or just the long/short and trip in bottom right corner?

Bottom right, bottom left would make for a very dodgy Autotrader advert

Yeah that's what I was getting at. So whilst annoying it's not actually causing a "problem". Still sucks though

Yeah, knowing your MPG is good for really dull small talk but it's still a bought and paid for feature of the car that most other cars manage to do quite successfully for far less money.

I have the same problem. It occurs when you switch the engine off and listen the music for about 10-15 min. I think the voltage goes down and the counters are being resetting (permanent and also temporary).

Somebody solved the problem at dealer/service?

I thought I had posted on this - but perhaps it was a similar thread? How are you 'switching off' the engine?

I found the first couple of times driving the car if I did not use the engine start button to stop the car, it would reset the settings when I locked the car. Then had to go through configuring again!

I thought I had posted on this - but perhaps it was a similar thread? How are you 'switching off' the engine?

I found the first couple of times driving the car if I did not use the engine start button to stop the car, it would reset the settings when I locked the car. Then had to go through configuring again!

1. I Switched of the engine on start/stop.
2. I closed the doors.
3. I went back to open the doors, turned on button to play music.
4. Waiting 10-15min.
5. Counters reset.

"it would reset the settings when I locked the car" - interesting case - I will go to check, now :)

Hi All

I eventually (hopefully) got this sorted after involving Audi customer care. There is a tpi for this and it appears to be resolved with a software update to the dash.

Reactions: s10gler
Hi All

I eventually (hopefully) got this sorted after involving Audi customer care. There is a tpi for this and it appears to be resolved with a software update to the dash.

So you resolved this issue? In which service, country? Could you give the address?
Do you have this TPI number?

I think it has resolved the issue, I'm over 300 miles in since the update was applied and it hasn't reset itself yet. I don't have a TPI number I'm afraid. I contacted Audi UK customer support who were already aware of the issue and were surprised that the dealer wasn't. They sent instructions to the dealer on test procedures.

I think it has resolved the issue, I'm over 300 miles in since the update was applied and it hasn't reset itself yet. I don't have a TPI number I'm afraid. I contacted Audi UK customer support who were already aware of the issue and were surprised that the dealer wasn't. They sent instructions to the dealer on test procedures.

I will go to service in few days. We will see. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: firebits

I have gone to local dealer and explained everything. They say that I have actual version of software driver of dash (indicators).
Could you send me the address of your dealer? I will ask about this (and also your vin number would be helpful)

Last edited:
You would be better opening a case with Audi Customer Support as they will liaise with the dealer for you on this. It was Lookers Audi in Hamilton I was dealing with.

Did it reset the odometer? If so can I have an upload!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this happen to 5 times in as many weeks, after the first 10,000 miles passed without issue. Spookily it was after the service recall in sept/oct. decided to take it on over Christmas and a slight delay caused by the software reset wanting to take 8!!! Hours, it was unplugged overnight, redone in 30 minutes the following day and has so far behaved itself for the last 1500.
Had this for a courtesy car (asked for it as wife looking at new car this year) 140 horses in a car 2/3 the weight of an a4, around town great and hard not to boot it everywhere!
IMG 0932

After previously being a little smug that this issue hadn't hit my A4, it finally did a few weeks ago. I know exactly what caused it though- I stalled the car! Fits with the previous comments re "not turning it off properly".

@Phil73, we had an A1 back in 2011 and loved it, great nippy little car. Only downside now is that there is a new one coming out next year.