My car ate my SIM card!

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Good evening all,

long time since I was on last, hope all are well.

I’m not sure how I managed it exactly, but I removed the SIM card from my car recently and when I put it back in, it pushed all the way in, instead of clicking into place. No idea why it allowed me to push all the way in - surely there should be something in there to stop this happening. I don’t see any way of removing it either, as the space is far too small to even get a fine pair of tweezers into. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a very expensive visit to Audi to take apart the whole control fascia.

Anyone got any experience of this kind of thing? Has it happened to anybody else or can you recommend a good place in the North West who could do this for a better price than Audi?

cheers.

Did u put a micro sim in? U need to use the big ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this, only once mind, and it was a few years ago.

Its possible to “insert” the SIM into the gap between the actual SIM carrier and the body of the MMI unit, and not realise you’ve done it till it’s too late.
That happened 3 yeas ago and it’s still in there :yum:

I went to my operators local store (Vodafone) , told them I had lost the SIM, and after providing some ID, they issued a new SIM set up with the same number and plan, free of charge, same day. Much easier than ripping the mmi apart!

I made sure I put it in the right hole 2nd time around :snowman:

John :hi:

Reactions: AlS3BE
Whereabouts in the NW?

As for John, well yes the right hole works wonders.................

Reactions: RAF_S7

Its possible to “insert” the SIM into the gap between the actual SIM carrier and the body of the MMI unit, and not realise you’ve done it till it’s too late.
That happened 3 yeas ago and it’s still in there :yum:

I went to my operators local store (Vodafone) , told them I had lost the SIM, and after providing some ID, they issued a new SIM set up with the same number and plan, free of charge, same day. Much easier than ripping the mmi apart!

It’s funny reading this as I did exactly the same thing in my a6. I managed to get the dealer to get it back out while it was getting serviced so I don’t think it’s difficult cause I never got charged for it.

That happened 3 yeas ago and it’s still in there
:yum:

I have done this exact thing myself also.
Also still in there somewhere

Reactions: RAF_S7
Well cheers fellas. That makes me feel better about doing it at the very least, knowing I’m not the only one it’s happened to.

@NHN, I’m in Clitheroe Lancs, but would travel to somewhere for a good recommendation.

It’s booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, so I could see what they say. If they do it for free like they did yours AIS3BE, it would be a bonus.

I think the SIM was out of data anyway, so I could always just buy a replacement & see if it works. I just didn’t think it would if there was one in there somewhere already.

Think I’ll buy another SIM & see if Audi can get the old one out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RAF_S7 and AlS3BE
Good evening all,

long time since I was on last, hope all are well.

I’m not sure how I managed it exactly, but I removed the SIM card from my car recently and when I put it back in, it pushed all the way in, instead of clicking into place. No idea why it allowed me to push all the way in - surely there should be something in there to stop this happening. I don’t see any way of removing it either, as the space is far too small to even get a fine pair of tweezers into. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a very expensive visit to Audi to take apart the whole control fascia.

Anyone got any experience of this kind of thing? Has it happened to anybody else or can you recommend a good place in the North West who could do this for a better price than Audi?

cheers.

Had this happening with the iPhone once. Heated up the tip of a needle, and pressed it hard into the simcard in the slot, let it cool and then I could pull it out. Didn't work the first try but in the third it came out.