My Black Cherry Pearl S3 Thread

naughts4187

Reaction score
After 5 months of being totally addicted to this forum and passing the time yesterday I picked up my exclusive S3.

I found the whole exclusive colour ordering process completely rubbish, not one dealer I called had a book of colours, and only had the odd colour swatch on site. I initially ordered Merlin Purple however had a change of heart. After weeks of scouring around Google I decided on Black Cherry Pearl and took a gamble as I hadn't ever seen it in the flesh!

So yesterday I made my way over to York, in typical fashion I was about 20 minutes late! My car was parked up in the handover bay, no cover and not prepped (my request as I don't trust Audi valeters). I asked for it to be de-wrapped and have the front plate stuck on rather than drilled as I'm putting a cherished in soon. They sprayed it with the jet wash to remove any dust from transit and that was it. Mark, the salesman said he had never done a handover with a dirty car before. Because of my strange request the car looked dull and nearly dark brown, I honestly thought I'd made a big mistake with this colour...
The drive home made up for it however, sunroof open and that B&O sound, it's a glorious place to be.

Starting today at 11am I did my own new car detail and had to stop at 7pm when the temperature dropped and the light decided to disappear. My step mum also got her Daytona grey S3 last week which can be seen in the pics. My doubts about the colour have gradually gone today, it really came to life and hopefully soon there will be an actual sunny day so the pearlescent shows its sparkle.

Here is the detail so far, tomorrow I have to dress the plastic trim, seal all chrome bits and start on the interior.

My detail process:

Snow Foam
Gyeon Iron
Auto Finesse Shampoo
Tar & Glue Remover
Auto Finesse Shampoo (again)
Carlack Nano Cleaner
Werkstat Prime
Menzerna Power Finish 2400 (for a couple of surface scratches from factory)
Carlack Synthetic Sealant
Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnuba Wax

Glass - Auto Finesse Crystal & Poorboys Windscreen

Wheels - Poorboys Wheel Sealant

06ba0545c6a79fbde69638ad0ebad1b9.jpg

196b065ca91ffeb3cc638740e85df306.jpg

3f0ba397a84d3a1501d74785f32e395e.jpg

a7db9b12ce367a8f827ea4628e12fe9c.jpg

1dd8b37e31d62f9bb2225cf1ec5f9830.jpg

e7e93d36ada2496b87d3c0285c1b846a.jpg

eca1bce5fd166d5f521180366d826603.jpg

The weather today was perfect for applying product but not for seeing the true colour of the car. Tomorrow I will do a full shoot inside and out using my camera and keep this thread updated with my mods that I've got planned.

Last edited:
Reactions: J6YAK, Steph67, AndyB-S3 and 2 others
Excellent detailing regime and a totally awesome colour!

Reactions: naughts4187
Looks understated. Once the Suns out im sure it will pop. I however opted for merlinpurple, which also understated till the Suns out so they have there similarities.

Looks good, it's definitely Blurple!

Looks understated. Once the Suns out im sure it will pop. I however opted for merlinpurple, which also understated till the Suns out so they have there similarities.
Would love to see your Merlin, York have an S3 saloon in the showroom and it looked great!

Would love to see your Merlin, York have an S3 saloon in the showroom and it looked great!

Yes, don't get the car till may. See the colour popping up on a lot of models now. So it's good to look at the pics to pass the time till the car arrives :)

After 5 months of being totally addicted to this forum and passing the time yesterday I picked up my exclusive S3.

I found the whole exclusive colour ordering process completely rubbish, not one dealer I called had a book of colours, and only had the odd colour swatch on site. I initially ordered Merlin Purple however had a change of heart. After weeks of scouring around Google I decided on Black Cherry Pearl and took a gamble as I hadn't ever seen it in the flesh!

So yesterday I made my way over to York, in typical fashion I was about 20 minutes late! My car was parked up in the handover bay, no cover and not prepped (my request as I don't trust Audi valeters). I asked for it to be de-wrapped and have the front plate stuck on rather than drilled as I'm putting a cherished in soon. They sprayed it with the jet wash to remove any dust from transit and that was it. Mark, the salesman said he had never done a handover with a dirty car before. Because of my strange request the car looked dull and nearly dark brown, I honestly thought I'd made a big mistake with this colour...
The drive home made up for it however, sunroof open and that B&O sound, it's a glorious place to be.

Starting today at 11am I did my own new car detail and had to stop at 7pm when the temperature dropped and the light decided to disappear. My step mum also got her Daytona grey S3 last week which can be seen in the pics. My doubts about the colour have gradually gone today, it really came to life and hopefully soon there will be an actual sunny day so the pearlescent shows its sparkle.

Here is the detail so far, tomorrow I have to dress the plastic trim, seal all chrome bits and start on the interior.

My detail process:

Snow Foam
Gyeon Iron
Auto Finesse Shampoo
Tar & Glue Remover
Auto Finesse Shampoo (again)
Carlack Nano Cleaner
Werkstat Prime
Menzerna Power Finish 2400 (for a couple of surface scratches from factory)
Carlack Synthetic Sealant
Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnuba Wax

Glass - Auto Finesse Crystal & Poorboys Windscreen

Wheels - Poorboys Wheel Sealant

06ba0545c6a79fbde69638ad0ebad1b9.jpg

196b065ca91ffeb3cc638740e85df306.jpg

3f0ba397a84d3a1501d74785f32e395e.jpg

a7db9b12ce367a8f827ea4628e12fe9c.jpg

1dd8b37e31d62f9bb2225cf1ec5f9830.jpg

e7e93d36ada2496b87d3c0285c1b846a.jpg

eca1bce5fd166d5f521180366d826603.jpg

The weather today was perfect for applying product but not for seeing the true colour of the car. Tomorrow I will do a full shoot inside and out using my camera and keep this thread updated with my mods that I've got planned.
S3 looks really fantastic buddy

Looking foreword to,seeing more pics of this colour

Like you, I won't allow the Dealers to touch any of my cars. I have pre-printed A4 laminated signs I leave in the car when at the Dealers. Sad I know, but I have all to often seen the mess they inflict

Reactions: naughts4187 and Pulp84
Looking good mate, what powerwash is that? I'm after a new one.

The first thing I did was to replace the number plates from the standard screw on ones it came with, just didn't like the GB logo and their advertising lip, so went for the ultratek plates, even my mum sad they look better and she's 76 and doesn't know anything about cars :)

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing the colour on a sunny day.

Just one point to be wary of regarding Dealers.
Make sure if it goes in for anything that you specifically ask them not to do a health check. I took mine in for an oil change at 1000 miles. A quick clean for me is a minimum of four hours hard work. Which I did before it went it, only to find greasy hand prints on the bonnet and that they had decided to empty the washer bottle (well it seemed that way at the time) on front and rear wipers and headlamp washers. The car was an absolute f******g mess when I picked it up. I was furious.

Reactions: naughts4187 and Pulp84
You guys take the whole clean car concept wayyyyy too seriously. A brand new car looks brand new to me. If I saw a brand new (dealer prepared) car next to one that's been personally detailed am I really likely to see the difference without a head lamp?

Reactions: drummerdimitri
You guys take the whole clean car concept wayyyyy too seriously. A brand new car looks brand new to me. If I saw a brand new (dealer prepared) car next to one that's been personally detailed am I really likely to see the difference without a head lamp?
No you probably would'nt see the difference............until the sun shines on it and you see all the dealer inflicted swirls!

Looking good mate, what powerwash is that? I'm after a new one.

The first thing I did was to replace the number plates from the standard screw on ones it came with, just didn't like the GB logo and their advertising lip, so went for the ultratek plates, even my mum sad they look better and she's 76 and doesn't know anything about cars :)

After years of Karchers all failing after 2 years I got a Nilfisk, it's blooming brilliant. Will look at the exact model but it was around £350 last year.

Plates are coming off soon, along with S3 badge, I've changed my mind on it!

Reactions: batch
It may depend on the colour of paint, however that's not the reason why I do it. It's because I want the first application to be perfect, I actually spent 2 hours removing iron, tar and glue from the paintwork which wasn't visible to the eye however once you start to apply polishes and waxes, this is what causes the swirling and scratches.

I also do it because the Mrs allows me to have a full day on my own and I don't have to do anything in the house.

Reactions: Madmo and Brasso
I thought it was a Nilfisk :) Been looking at those as they have a metal pump, like you say the Karchers are cr*p as they have a plastic pump which split/fail after two years. However, I did see this and was tempted Guarantee - 5 years Manufacturer which makes me think it may be a metal pump!!! http://www.diy.com/departments/karc...ic-home-pressure-washer-130-bar/173907_BQ.prd
Yep, metal pump and highly robust plus incredible pressure. The only rubbish thing is the reel which pulls the hose in has a plastic handle and it has snapped off. Go for it! You won't be disappointed

Update from today!
Cleaned the leather, dirty marks from the workshop or factory were on the door cards and seat suede bits. Sealed the leather using Nanolex synthetic sealant and dressed the trims. The sun also decided to make an appearance and I've managed to capture the colour of the paint as best as I can. It's rather Aubergine at the moment however I've seen some pictures of a more purple tint in the past of this colour.

I also launched 4 times and used half a tank of fuel in the process of today's driving!

bc11d1ca886564ae029c0d14150bff4f.jpg

cbb8fb1a8829ebe53e3411023f6daa52.jpg

16e49c3c8d959d173b055ff9775a1154.jpg

d60ecdee26a8aede7ccfe01f50f695b8.jpg

af60654bcf81ce498032216b2f3663a8.jpg

b3996906fdce8c03c60774357c0192e3.jpg

780baacfafe3ce04c17f8d176b6cc1d9.jpg

9baaa56820da0181653b10c9f81de07e.jpg

50a7f0e23085509d0cc05fa099691c54.jpg

Only iPhone pics for now but will get the SLR out next week and do a proper shoot once my BBS CH-R's are on.

Reactions: JordanQuattro, Steph67 and AndyB-S3
Looks nice- love that interior. I don't think I'd attempt the detailing myself- looks like you need to know what you're doing. My mate got his BMW detailed though & the guy that did it said you can only do it so many times because each time you make the lacquer on the paint thinner. Is that the case? Also- I didn't get the Gardex that Audi were trying to sell to me for £500 but feel as though I ought to do something to protect the interior&exterior. Interior is just cloth though & I really wouldn't know where to start on the paint work.

Looks nice- love that interior. I don't think I'd attempt the detailing myself- looks like you need to know what you're doing. My mate got his BMW detailed though & the guy that did it said you can only do it so many times because each time you make the lacquer on the paint thinner. Is that the case? Also- I didn't get the Gardex that Audi were trying to sell to me for £500 but feel as though I ought to do something to protect the interior&exterior. Interior is just cloth though & I really wouldn't know where to start on the paint work.
With a machine polisher yes, but we're talking years worth of polishing before you're going to strike through

Your stunning S3 looks Black to me,i know its all down to personal choice but in my opinion, if l wanted a Exclusive Paint..l would make sure it had a impact and not to be confused with any other colour?

Your stunning S3 looks Black to me,i know its all down to personal choice but in my opinion, if l wanted a Exclusive Paint..l would make sure it had a impact and not to be confused with any other colour?
I think a few years ago I would have wanted something like Viper green or Riviera blue but I love deep pearlescent paints, and for me I would rather it looked subtle until the sun shines and it pops with the purple / Bordeaux flake. Your sepang looks smart though, great seat choice!

Theres quite a few detailers who offer to teach you how to detail whilst you both detail your car....nice one for not taking the £500 gardex, if you spend that on some tuition and products you'll be a lot more satisfied with the result.

So in a week where York audi are ordering me a new car due to missing Audi connect from my order, it's also the wrong colour.

So this colour is Cherry Black pearl, it's basically a brown / gold in the sunshine, quite interesting so thought I'd take a couple of snaps. Car is filthy so apologies!

1a1e9f78dfd2cf9008d2768d9385fc9f.jpg

beea286d18a0d80d83246e07f0dbf78c.jpg

What ???

So what is that colour and what colour did you order ?

Presumably it was a custom colour ????

So they made a right royal F**k UP !

Id be pushing for some compo

Not much cherry Naughts i'd definitely be looking for something else but glad the dealers sorting it for you.

Just our of interest what will you use connect for as I've only found it useful for the Google map images on the sat nav so far ?

Just had confirmation of my new car BW and I will be handing back my cherry black S3 to York Audi in Mid July. It's covered 1200 miles in 8 weeks so expect the mileage to be no more than 2500 by that time comes.

If anyone wants to buy it, I can put you in touch with the salesman. It's a cracking spec and a is totally immaculate with a tip top paint protection done by yours truly.