My Belated build thread

Looking brilliant mate! Do you have a link to the seat belt buckles?

Cheers mate yeah of course, here you go. I’ve obviously cut of the cables as I didn’t need them.

WWmily 2 Pack Universal Auto Car Buckle Socket Plug Connector W/Warning Cable https://amzn.eu/d/2MTBpr8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ian W
@S3AMJ amazing progress man! The seats are great! I'm planning to buy RECARO CROSS SPORTSTER CS SEAT...What is the code of these? btw do you have any video of pull?Are you happy with the car? What is your general impression of this amount of power?

Cheers!

Thanks bud, I need to do a few more videos but I’ll upload some soon. Very happy with the car! The power delivery is perfect, the amount of power is great, however almost too much power for the roads over here because of other vehicles etc

I don’t have a code to hand on the seats, they are Recaro Pole Positions half leather half alcantara.

Screenshot 20220724 125347 Chrome

This is what I'm talking about... not your unremarkable catch can in the previous photos.. :D

Last edited:
Oh hang on? Is that an oil top up, from an additional cooler or due to high RPM running the pump too quick?

It’s just an oil catch can bud. Nothing else. Catch’s the crap I don’t want burnt off in the engine again. 2 an breathers out of the rocker cover and 1 an from the block breather, to the catch can and then venting to atmosphere.

Okay... so ot is an interesting setup then, have you capped off the exit on the side of the cam cover then to make space for your Big Turbo TIP?

Okay... so ot is an interesting setup then, have you capped off the exit on the side of the cam cover then to make space for your Big Turbo TIP?

Bud……. I’d really just look through my thread. The rocker cover is off an early A4 with no breather holes. It’s all documented here. The catch can does exactly what it needs to do, like all catch cans….. collects crap you don’t want going back into the engine, there really isn’t anything interesting about a catch can

Reactions: Rainbird
It’s been a little while since I last posted anything, but I suppose a little update on what’s going on with the car these days.

I took it to Santapod a few weekends ago and on my 2nd run I struggled to get it into 2nd gear, lots of crunching and whatnot. Once I finally got it into 3rd I gently got to the car park and found the engaging 1st and 2nd gear was a little different, more resistant. So i did the sensible thing and left it at that for the day while I was supporting my friend run his car for the rest of the day.
b28310a9fd0a3acb1a19d618eca3ba02.jpg

fa5d7d86fc2be13ec91f4be03c36d770.jpg

Later found out that my dogbone mount bolt into the gearbox had decided to disappear.
1afdee7a57b79741d4a25dea5248660e.jpg

With the gearbox in rotation that was the reason why I couldn’t get it into 2nd and as a result I think I’ve bent my selector fork for 1st and 2nd gear which would explain it not wanting to engage very well now. Fortunately nothing else has been damaged!

So while the car is out of commission for now, I’ve been contemplating what my next steps are…….. do I pull the box out and get Martin from G&Gs to repair it and put it back in or do I upgrade it for a totally different gearbox and be done with it.

I’ve decided to go ahead and get the gearbox out and get it over to Mart to have a look at it and fix what needs fixing, but it won’t be going back in. I’ve always said if ever I had any issues with the car I would just simply upgrade it, whatever it was that needed going up a notch.

Which leaves me with no choice but to obviously go DSG. [mention]desertstorm [/mention] and Tuffty are big inspirations with there builds and the level of detail they post up and keep us informed with the DQ250 setups. I’m going to be going a slightly different route, one a friend of mine Keegan has already done to his Noggy S3 and that’s DQ500.

With his help I’ve been getting parts together ready to take on the massive task of getting it all to fit!
817e392dc55084e52fc95ba9beccbe2a.jpg

About 80% of the parts are there, I’m still waiting on a few things to come and a couple small bits to order closer to the fit of fitting it all.

So as I go through the conversion I’ll keep you all up to date on how it goes

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainbird, IanL-RS3, Djordje1 and 4 others
It should be a lot faster the next time you goto Santa Pod. Seemless gearchanges and launch control are really good. Keegan has done a great job with his car so he knows what the issues are and how to get past them.

Reactions: S3AMJ
It should be a lot faster the next time you goto Santa Pod. Seemless gearchanges and launch control are really good. Keegan has done a great job with his car so he knows what the issues are and how to get past them.

Not to mention hopefully breaking less things. Keegan has really done an awesome job, trial and error, ironing out the kinks, etc. His car is blisteringly fast now.

Reactions: desertstorm
@S3AMJ Amazing update,car looking great,step by step you will need pair of wheels at the back and wings.... on the photo car looks very powerful...

btw related to dogbone bolt.I read many times people are snap the bolt because of amount of power/torque...
I'm going with 02m 1-6 fulldox box monster performance set and wondering what would be good upgrade for that bolt as well?Just stronger bolt or something else?

Thanks,

@S3AMJ Amazing update,car looking great,step by step you will need pair of wheels at the back and wings.... on the photo car looks very powerful...

btw related to dogbone bolt.I read many times people are snap the bolt because of amount of power/torque...
I'm going with 02m 1-6 fulldox box monster performance set and wondering what would be good upgrade for that bolt as well?Just stronger bolt or something else?

Thanks,
Hey dude, thank you for the compliments.
I’ve also heard people snapping the bolt, I was lucky, in my case the bolt simply wondered out, probably loosened over a little time before going……. ****** this!
Honest answer is I don’t know what others do at this sort of power level and beyond regarding changing bolt strength. I’m putting it down to being to aggressive with launches that most likely snaps bolts. You really do need to have some mechanical sympathy as it’s fairly safe to say these cars weren’t built to be this powerful lol. Which is another reason why I’ve decided to go DQ500. It’s a very smart box and will reduce torque in varying scenarios to “prevent” things from breaking and it’s obviously much more smoother transition between gear changes than manual no matter how quick you are with them.

Hey dude, thank you for the compliments.
I’ve also heard people snapping the bolt, I was lucky, in my case the bolt simply wondered out, probably loosened over a little time before going……. ****** this!
Honest answer is I don’t know what others do at this sort of power level and beyond regarding changing bolt strength. I’m putting it down to being to aggressive with launches that most likely snaps bolts. You really do need to have some mechanical sympathy as it’s fairly safe to say these cars weren’t built to be this powerful lol. Which is another reason why I’ve decided to go DQ500. It’s a very smart box and will reduce torque in varying scenarios to “prevent” things from breaking and it’s obviously much more smoother transition between gear changes than manual no matter how quick you are with them.
Thank you man for your reply :) I spoke with some people who experience the same thing....I'll try to create something custom for myself. I get some guides on how to make something with a male ball joint, which will be probably the solution for this situation :)I can't wait to try my 02m dog box gearbox :) not really sure I'll ever change for DSG, however...The only thing I'll do is fwd to quattro, but not for now...

Thank you once again :)

Right….. well it’s was a bit of a mission! But I’ve managed to get the car detailed in almost 1 day from start to finish.

Last night I went about doing the none contact stuff like the wheels here.
582922f1562ffb783ffebafa12546ab1.jpg

These pads I’ve got are absolute dust monsters, but they stop the car on a penny so I can’t complain to much. A quick spray over with Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel cleaner…
2ec0eddfb45525e671f0cc1c34b33c94.jpg

And you can literally rinse it off with a garden hose! However I used my pressure washer and it fetched it all off without a problem.

Then I went about snow foaming the entire car with Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, this stuff is pretty epic, holds to the car well and fetches off about 90% of the crud.
1b48d989f357ae4ef36c12a02a42dc93.jpg

Once I’d let that hang around for about 5-10 mins I pressured washed it all off and then used Bilt Hamber Korrosol…. This is very similar to the auto wheel stuff, it turns purple once it’s grabbed onto fallout and shrinks it, allowing it to be rinsed off.
0877d2df355e05125cb2ce321c3ab9a1.jpg

b5b076ccff694cf81ca4c931b09c2f09.jpg

14fbcc583b791afe480edaaf1a82833d.jpg

I then rinsed the car off and put it into the garage ready for the next day.

This morning, car out and then did a full in depth contact wash with Bilt Hamber Auto Wash and then completely clay barred the entire car with the Bilt Hamber medium clay bar. One benefit to this clay bar is you can just use water as lubricant! This is basically what I was left to deal with for cutting and polishing.
59c5a56eaaf5d6cdfcf86da9c8cab121.jpg

131708920c6da93cb187a6ce07725323.jpg

b0629605c0078f4ad09966612143f4c3.jpg

f27d88b4c2f0e5877c32a9a526391547.jpg

0e2c5865614f1e13d4821ff1623c5c86.jpg

10adde0528de2f80f53d692fd67793f0.jpg

e307acc75bc83b2aeb2ead401875a101.jpg

ab75518daab0cc32a724723f28fb959c.jpg

These are just a few areas that needed lots of work! This is the result of 10 hours straight running on nothing but sugar free energy drink!!

bb89f56ffc5537bae22814a084455192.jpg

c11b2073098522077d50d40bfa8ec06a.jpg

f549e6b99ad15aa5fe904c63872b86db.jpg

48d48e8df0e15a536ea140cfb3cf77e8.jpg

This was a total of 2 passes with Rupes DA Course cutting compound, 2 passes of Rupes DA fine polishing compound, 1 pass of Rupes Ultra Uno, 1 pass of Poor Boys Black Hole glaze, 1 pass of Collinite 845 wax….

Now I’m a broken man in my living room with a couple beers

Cars looking good. Can you tell me the spec of the wheels and are them ap 6pots ?

Cars looking good. Can you tell me the spec of the wheels and are them ap 6pots ?

Hi Dude, yeah they are AP’s 6 pot CP9660 calipers with 368mm discs. The alloys are Rota G-Force 18x9j with ET20 from memory. I run 5mm spacers on the fronts to clear the shocks and no spacers on the rear.

Hi Dude, yeah they are AP’s 6 pot CP9660 calipers with 368mm discs. The alloys are Rota G-Force 18x9j with ET20 from memory. I run 5mm spacers on the fronts to clear the shocks and no spacers on the rear.

Nice. Im looking to get the Ap Radicals 6 pots. I was thinking 9.5j all round but now thinking if you need a spacer to clear the front shocks on 9j maybe i should get 9j at the front and 9.5 rear.

Some progress on the DQ500 conversion.

Managed to get quite a bit done these last couple weeks thanks to Keegan.

f83dcfb97c7f0246e397af29d0d2a8fa.jpg

f68d7a63d37e9ab6e94e91de93ea27d9.jpg

And so it begins, dropping the subframe, driveshafts, powersteering lines, draining the gearbox oil ready for Martin to have a look at what’s what.
e7d10e82342d55d3e3d42c7dd1322038.jpg

ee5914da1472c1be4f948d636cf4c1d8.jpg

5c32e8b933462f0f27b1fffe96010896.jpg

Once this was out and loaded up in my A3 ready to go to Martin. I went about removing my exhaust, downpipe, wastegate pipe, prop and heat shielding.
This then gave me access to my CAE Shifter which I removed and fitted my Q3 DSG selector.
485a6d66078b079e71d8bbccfd2f02be.jpg

ab220d734779dea5e90d239d7fc7f817.jpg

c67d12911405bb2422b58eef0c40487c.jpg

Cable lengths looks spot on! And fortunately because I had the CAE Shifter the holes lined up perfectly for the Q3 DSG selector
d92f03a079d66c856eabda2616090151.jpg

I then went about removing the clutch pedal and switch, I won’t be removing the entire assembly, just blocking off the pipes behind the Heatshield on the bulkhead. I also fitted the TT V6 DSG brake pedal and cap.
c128c09cb978a0251437160c4898dae0.jpg

Now the other important thing to do was to make up a lead to read the DQ500 gearbox I’ve got to make sure it’s the part number required to work with Ignitron. Big shout out the Keegan on this!
27f4b532554eeff83eaaf55279419de0.jpg

A big sigh of relief when we found out it was exactly what I was expecting it to be based on its Gearbox Code QYQ and age of 2015. So the part number as you can see above was 0BH300O12Q also no fault codes on the box apart from it not being able to communicate with some modules.

Couple other things that needed doing was flap wheeling back some of the subframe and with a bit of heat and a big hammer, manipulating this area to give some extra clearance.
83982b28d4653f404321a9976fc311b0.jpg

The passenger side chassis leg also needed some grinding and flap wheeling to gain some additional clearance, you’ll be surprised how high up the gearbox sits in comparison to an 02M.
b163ab49418e00dc92e7c1a47cfcd8e8.jpg

While I was cutting all this about Keegan was making up a custom transfer case bracket, made up of a new steel bracket for a Q3,Tiguan or RS3 and the one of the S3, lots of cutting, grinding and welding to produce this masterpiece!
c178135450cbc0888b256968b5302c64.jpg

All of this will get smoothed up and painted, sealed, etc in the next coming week.

All being well we will be getting the gearbox into the car all bolted up in the next couple weeks then all the fettling and tinkering will commence to connect everything up, fill with oil, adjust any pipework to all fit, etc.

For those wondering was a DQ500 box and transfer box looks like on a 1.8t block….. gives you some prospective and how these gearboxes can handle so much power! And why you have to make space for it to go in!
8e5eff8c032660e1bc091ac77b585dbc.jpg

It’s ****** huge!!

• Love
Reactions: craigt1985, hydro s3, desertstorm and 1 other person
Great stuff Ash, Keegan's experience (and fab skills) proving handy there :happy:

Hi, great to see people like you and Tuffty are sharing their DSG Conversion route
Can you do a list with needed parts, I'm struggling to find any info on the 'net' what Axel's are straight fit. There was a guy on FB Page who stated Tiguan and Q3 Axel's are 'straight' fit onto A3 Quattro without any modification required.
Will definitely look forward for the full update on the upcoming upgrade from your self.

Hi, great to see people like you and Tuffty are sharing their DSG Conversion route
Can you do a list with needed parts, I'm struggling to find any info on the 'net' what Axel's are straight fit. There was a guy on FB Page who stated Tiguan and Q3 Axel's are 'straight' fit onto A3 Quattro without any modification required.
Will definitely look forward for the full update on the upcoming upgrade from your self.
Cheers bud! So only the drivers side is a straight swap out with a Tiguan, Q3 or RS3 driveshaft. Part number is 5N0407766, there are a few revisions, but essentially they are the same from what I’ve researched. As for the passenger side, that needs a custom driveshaft made up, however you can potentially use one with the part number 5N0407763 which again is from a Tiguan, Q3 and RS3, but it has little plunge…… this is something that Keegan had found out through his initial testing stages.

Reactions: killfame
Little update on the progress with the DQ500 conversion.

Something nice and easy to start off with and that was to get the facelift MFSW with paddles out of my A3 3.2 Quattro and fit it into the S3, the A3 has now got its original one in there again.
8d5b47e8433f95468822bb16af0c00d9.jpg

The next thing I want to do was to check clearance in the selector and the shifter surround. Big shout out to Tuffty for donating a surround to the cause, as my previous piano black one I had I’d cut up so it would go around the CAE Shifter.
a524b5fbceb73d9991ab17c66496ace5.jpg

No clearance issues there, tempted to either trim a little around where the Emergancy park solenoid release button is for easier access when removing the gator, alternatively I just leave it and lift the entire surround should I ever need to access it in the future. I’ll probably stick with the later for now.

I then went about wrapping said surround with gloss black vinyl wrap, which I’m quite pleased with how it’s come out.
143dff4ff13f4eb32cfa30a0c6b4bcd5.jpg

958205793fd6deddb6be4bbdf7fce265.jpg

0e1446acbaa2c68cef2184f64b713cc5.jpg

I’ve got a plan in the making on how I’m going to execute the selector for an OEM+ finish, more on that later.

The last thing I needed to get done and out the way before fitting the gearbox next weekend was to fit a powersteering return line from an Audi TT V6 DSG. This essentially runs the opposite side of the car as there is no room for it to go the original path because of the colossal DQ500 gearbox.

This unfortunately means, lots of things needed to be removed, moved out the way…..
4230c01bf9371f191381e86b6a0acbb7.jpg

b436ee265cc2404aa74e64fee983f616.jpg

de15339a9eb32eee7b19f0fbfaf5d967.jpg

580845842872a3ec29c47c436c8201a9.jpg

29ab590f04e45919f442d5f3eca5ffa7.jpg

This was a bit of a mission and took me some quite considerable time, it does “almost” fit perfectly as there isn’t much different between the S3 and TT, however a TT doesn’t have the washer bottle in the same place so rather than heating the lines and bending it bit by bit gingerly, I simply heated up the bottom of the washer bottle and melted it back enough to miss the lines I’ll be making up a couple of brackets and covering rubbing points with some silicone pipe in places, but it’s pretty dam solid in there otherwise!
2b91283e7c41d077576745f53bedfc28.jpg

Finally all back together again, kind of, almost. The high pressure side of the pump to steering rack will be a hydraulic line made up once I suss out the best route for it to take.

Reactions: Brad1011, hydro s3, desertstorm and 2 others
There you go, Audi Q3 8U surrounding with a bit of trimming on the sides fits perfectly like the original one, not a fan of that old ugly gear stick tho.

Attachments

• 27585CC3-0DFD-4DAF-804E-E49354D89E5E.png
    27585CC3-0DFD-4DAF-804E-E49354D89E5E.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
There you go, Audi Q3 8U surrounding with a bit of trimming on the sides fits perfectly like the original one, not a fan of that old ugly gear stick tho.
I did contemplate trying out an Q3 8U surround, looks quite good. Bit of heat and you’ll be able to tweak that plastic insert inside the selector shaft and you’ll be able to use a updated gear stick knob.
I’ve got something coming in the post over the next couple weeks which, if it looks as good on the picture in person…… will be a perfect alternative

Reactions: killfame
I did contemplate trying out an Q3 8U surround, looks quite good. Bit of heat and you’ll be able to tweak that plastic insert inside the selector shaft and you’ll be able to use a updated gear stick knob.
I’ve got something coming in the post over the next couple weeks which, if it looks as good on the picture in person…… will be a perfect alternative
What are you doing with your Stick Shifter? Give some quote

Evening all….. so what a day! It’s been testing for sure, sorry for the delay with updates but here is where we are at.

c3590b72bf6daaef61e11d83981b8502.jpg

b2a3ad10b813535c6217c1a60221dfd1.jpg

cd84094465d353e710705b6a32a523f8.jpg

2cb7a9aaa6948367324ee761ab177dee.jpg

The gearbox is in…. This surprisingly wasn’t the headache of what was to come! Little bit of shoving and toing and throwing and it all bolted up nicely. This is mainly down to Keegan telling me what needed modifying beforehand to ensure the fitment was near enough there.

85fe03841cb67c7c57d0466da38e3516.jpg

Heatshield over the selector and modified prop shaft all bolted in as well

520a6f776d1d3e48a9a8ff5b6d4ba649.jpg

Lovely billet mount supplied by Jaaatt Engineering.

7f75dafdecfcf7a6b938d8de6f787be3.jpg

Made a bracket to make sure the power steering line from the TT missed my boost pipework and went on the fit new rubber pipes with the correct length needed to mount the cooler pipe for the powersteering line.
ecab6eeb501238a3fdecd08903cf3fc7.jpg

1d7d2b661cd9e6341c215bd28767209b.jpg

Then today we had the headache of making sure my 3.5” downpipe and wastegate pipe would clear everything……. Yeah…… it didn’t….. the wastegate pipe actually did however it was very close the selector cable mount on the gearbox which neither of us were happy with so a made a bracket to space it away from all the hot stuff.
6f7b63e0b2ebf1fed7f2100ab272ee9d.jpg

7c6884855ecbc9675bdc0f40d6048c91.jpg

After much swearing and one point me throwing tools around we modified the downpipe and grinding a few things to give extra clearance and it’s all in! More to follow this coming Friday…….

In other news this was the idea I had behind the shifter for those wondering, it meant keeping it as OEM+ as possible without cutting and shutting various parts to make it all fit, I don’t have the patients or skilled hands like Tuffty to make it work as well as he has with his!

But this is what I’ve come up with……
e413f739625384c8f1ac046ba5c7e1e0.jpg

a97181be35262bd62e0f7ed1ee0eeeea.jpg

The gear knob actually illuminates the position the shifter is in, I really like it and the gloss black matches the piano black nicely.

• Love
Reactions: hydro s3, <tuffty/> and desertstorm
That is a big lump of a gearbox isn't it. Really liking that billet engine mount it looks fantastic. Changing the filter on the gearbox looks a bit of a mission, but not something you are going to do everyday. That gearchange looks good to me, I would be happy with that. The display being on the top makes life a lot easier.

I like your knob :happy:

Solid progress there man, you guys are getting into it nicely now!

That is a big lump of a gearbox isn't it. Really liking that billet engine mount it looks fantastic. Changing the filter on the gearbox looks a bit of a mission, but not something you are going to do everyday. That gearchange looks good to me, I would be happy with that. The display being on the top makes life a lot easier.
Thanks Karl, a couple ratchet straps made life a little easier but it’s one hell of a lump even empty of oil! The mount really is a piece of art, credit where credit is due Junior does some amazing stuff. Yeah changing the filter will be a bit of a mare, doable but like you said shouldn’t need to do it for a while, probably 15-20,000 miles, which is less then half of what Audi specify the oil chances of an RS3 DQ500. I stumbled apon the gear knob and I thought for £28 delivered from china land it was worth a punt.

I like your knob :happy:

Solid progress there man, you guys are getting into it nicely now!
Haha…. Why thank you mate!

Yeah we are getting there, slowly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, couple more weeks and I’d like to think it’ll be driving, then a very economic drive up to Badger5 to get the file off the box and sent off to be tweaked.

Reactions: hydro s3
@S3AMJ hey man! Did you have a chance to drain the oil catch can? How practical actually without a cap?

Hi dude, I’ve always managed to drain my catch can that’s on the car now. Got a drain line with a tap on it.
Thank you, man, just checking because I saw some examples... thick and cloggy and that is the reason why I asked can you drain it true the tap.Cheers dude

Hey man:) @S3AMJ long time no see.I hope you are doing well. Busy with the car.

I have to build my car soon and I'm looking for fuel surge tank.Just wanted to check with you is this stainless steel fuel surge tanke or aluminium?

Thank you a lot,
Djordje

Hey man:) @S3AMJ long time no see.I hope you are doing well. Busy with the car.

I have to build my car soon and I'm looking for fuel surge tank.Just wanted to check with you is this stainless steel fuel surge tanke or aluminium?View attachment 263323

Thank you a lot,
Djordje
Hey dude! long time indeed. Sorry for the delayed response. It’s a stainless steel surge tank :)

Reactions: Djordje1
Hello everyone! So sorry for the lack of being on here, life has been extremely busy of late. I was doing 2 full time jobs essentially for 2-3 months. But now having started my new job and settled in, I’ve got more time to focus on the car and see how everyone else is getting on.

So a little update is in order I think! The car is running perfectly with the DQ500 in, I’ve covered about 500 miles with no issues at all, obviously this is on the lowest map and the box still mapped for a Q3 2.0 TDI so changing gear at 5600rpm, as you can imagine the car feels……. Quite reserved right now haha.

That said, the car is booked into none other than Badger5 end of next week to get my paddles working, change the drivers side driveshaft for a slightly shorter one, check all clearances, service the engine and of course put on the first of many revised gearbox maps on! Which should allow me to go full steam ahead with logging what the car does, etc so we can refine the gearbox map and Ignitron.

Further plans to the car is a full respray! This will be a little surprise for all, the colour I’ve gone for is very unique to Audi! So keeps it within its heritage per say.

I intend to show the car this year, track it, upset many with more expensive cars who “think” they are faster and so on.

Reactions: Ian W, Rainbird and desertstorm
Nice one man, exciting stuff.

How do the QYQ ratios compare to the petrol stuff like the MYD/NFA (RS3) boxes?

Nice one man, exciting stuff.

How do the QYQ ratios compare to the petrol stuff like the MYD/NFA (RS3) boxes?
Hey dude! Sooooo….. basically the 2.0 TFSI boxes are the shortest ratios, followed by the Diesel boxes (mine) then the tallest ratios are found in the RS3 boxes believe it or not! Theoretical top speed of 277mph in 7th at 8200rpm in mine even more in the RS3 boxes!
Bought my gearbox, transfer box and flywheel for £850.00 where as an RS3 gearbox alone would set you back £2500+

Reactions: killfame and Rainbird