My Belated build thread

It seems to of helped for sure, I’m itching to find out what mines going to achieve. If I got anywhere near 400bhp I’d be a very happy chappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm.
dont get your hopes up dude..
340-360bhp is what we quote them at.. there are exceptions to the norm of course.
Time will reveal.

Hmmm.
dont get your hopes up dude..
340-360bhp is what we quote them at.. there are exceptions to the norm of course.
Time will reveal.

My fingers are crossed mate :) I’m sure it’ll all be fine and dandy. I’m after reliability over bhp.... just intrigued with what the results will be.

*Update*

Collected my car today from Badger5, Bill and the guys have had real mission on there hands these past couple weeks with my car! Cracked head, lots of corrosion... the list goes on and on.

They really pulled out all the stops and done a fantastic job! I’ve Just done 250 faultless miles running the car in on the way back to London. The car seems to pull harder and harder, not sure if this is just placebo effect or if it’s actually doing it.

So just another 250 miles an oil change to Quantum Platinum 5-40w and a remap!

Reactions: Inspector and badger5
Did you change both ur inlet and exhaust cams? Would they make any difference driving now before ur remap. Just with you saying it feels better was wondering if they would make a difference.

Did you change both ur inlet and exhaust cams? Would they make any difference driving now before ur remap. Just with you saying it feels better was wondering if they would make a difference.

Yeah they’ve been fitted mate, not sure to be honest. I’m guessing they would to some extent. The car feels better and better the more I drive it. Like Bill said it’s obviously the compression increasing as the rings bed in. Will find out on Monday what the cars putting out! Going in for remapping with Bill.

O thats good. Didn't take the miles going on. Will be interesting to see the numbers especially with both cams changed.
Where did you source them from? Are they common to find?

O thats good. Didn't take the miles going on. Will be interesting to see the numbers especially with both cams changed.
Where did you source them from? Are they common to find?

I ended up buying a complete used ADR engine. Finding the cams by themselves or even to find a compete 1.8 20V NA head is difficult. I bought the engine for £100. Which is far cheaper then buying the cams from Audi/VW.

Reactions: hydro s3
A DAY OF MAPPING

So today was a long day, got to Badger5 around 9:30am and welcomed with a cup of coffee.

Some small issues cropped up one being the EGT probe giving implausible readings and then the N75 valve failing with inconsistent boost readings. It’s fair to say that this car has been a nightmare.

But with that said Bill and the guys managed to yield me 347bhp 309ft lbs. This is admittedly the low end of the scale for this type of build.

However, we think that yet again the Airtec Intercooler is the suspecting hinderance. Not enough flow and it’s all about the flow!

So in time once I’ve run up some more miles and when Bill has some time to fit me in, it’ll be having a Toyo B Intercooler and pipework fitted. Just to keep everything running more happily and yes hopefully gain a few more BHP.

Will that all said the car pulls like a train! :)

Reactions: Asim1, hydro s3, warren9022 and 1 other person
Good stuff mate...you're pleased with it and you still have scope for some more tinkering to feed your habit.

win win :yes:

Reactions: S3AMJ
347 is still better than a kick in the d*** , i bet you went the long way on the way home haha, I’ve Been after a toyo type b for a month or so but there website say out of stock. The airtech doesn’t seem to be all they cracked up to be

Reactions: superkarl and S3AMJ
Good results mate. Shame about the intercooler I have one on my car as I thought they where the better option. At least you know you only need a new intercooler and then get some more hp.

Good stuff mate...you're pleased with it and you still have scope for some more tinkering to feed your habit.

win win :yes:

Haha yes the habit continues.... a healthy car is a happy car! Which has a side effect, an unhappy wallet. It’s all for the greater good mate. Almost tempted with the idea of running the new Ignitron ECU as well!

347 is still better than a kick in the d*** , i bet you went the long way on the way home haha, I’ve Been after a toyo type b for a month or so but there website say out of stock. The airtech doesn’t seem to be all they cracked up to be

Yeah it’s still a good result.... just done 200 odd miles with the new map. Drives very well! Doesn’t help with this rain we’ve had.... wheels have been spinning. Where have you been looking for the Toyo type B Intercooler? The Airtec seems to be ok for stage 1&2 levels. Anything above that and flow is the issue. Shame really.

Good results mate. Shame about the intercooler I have one on my car as I thought they where the better option. At least you know you only need a new intercooler and then get some more hp.

Your engine might be happier than mine, who knows... but mine isn’t happy with the Intercooler and the knock sensors had a play in it as well. Time will tell. Not sure when I’ll get it into Bill for more work.

In other news, Tuffty helped me out with my ColorMFA cluster at the weekend. Swapped over the foils and calibrated the needles. Have to says I’m quite please with it, so many features and so easy to navigate.
d1e8dfed03eed55cca2897cd901146f5.jpg

The white isn’t quite as white as I hoped for... doesn’t help when the ColourMFA is a comparison being perfect bright white. But still looks good :)

Just need to look into how to get boost to work and the issue with the gear ratios so they match with the car.

Reactions: hydro s3 and Tj 0785
Boost is easy enough you just run a wire from behind the cluster to the map sensor, I’ve been looking on the toyo sports website

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't piggyback off the Map sensor the ecu uses in case it causes issues... More so in my case as the MAP sensor is fundimental for the fuelling on my ignitron ecu so rather it just did ecu things....

I have bought a separate 4bar map sensor that I intend to wire in under the dash..

I have also attached the boost analogue output of the colour mfa to grey 32 so you just need to pin out of the grey plug for the sensor input once done

<tuffty/>

I personally wouldn't piggyback off the Map sensor the ecu uses in case it causes issues... More so in my case as the MAP sensor is fundimental for the fuelling on my ignitron ecu so rather it just did ecu things....

I have bought a separate 4bar map sensor that I intend to wire in under the dash..

I have also attached the boost analogue output of the colour mfa to grey 32 so you just need to pin out of the grey plug for the sensor input once done

<tuffty/>

I will do that in due course. Possibly looking into Ignitron myself. So I’m guessing you’d be running 2x 4bar map sensors? 1 for the ColourMFA and 1 for tuning, etc.

I will do that in due course. Possibly looking into Ignitron myself. So I’m guessing you’d be running 2x 4bar map sensors? 1 for the ColourMFA and 1 for tuning, etc.

How come your thinking of switching to the ignitron?

<tuffty/>
Il change that then when I finally get the engine out then as il be used the ignitron aswell

How come your thinking of switching to the ignitron?

It has a lot more failsafes than the ME7.5... that and I can run Mafless, one less thing to go wrong. The other reason is my engine knock sensors are limiting. I believe with the Ignitron you can make some further adjustments to compensate for this... overall a happier, finely tuned and healthy car.

The white on the dials looks well mate. Not sure if this helps with the gear ratios that you need to set up but this is how mine is set up.
Screenshot 20190409 114110 WhatsApp

Wow didn't realise the airtec would be soooooo restrictive!.....food for thought

Something else worth noting.... apparently according to a “professional” exhaust manufacturing company. My backbox sounds empty, chances are the packing has blown out, possibly the baffling has collapsed. So this will need to be investigated further and sorted out. Another potential restriction for my build. We will see

It's never plain sailing, that'd just be to easy wouldn't it

Look forward to more results once you have these issues sorted

It's never plain sailing, that'd just be to easy wouldn't it

Look forward to more results once you have these issues sorted

Trust me, this car has been far from plain sailing mate! Haha, But the end results have been worth it :)

Soooo.... driving back to London this evening and I go about checking the car for any fault codes on the engine.

To my surprise this bad boy popped up.
94ccb05922c6f4206f5490276b2b70a9.jpg
c87a58a19a82f0f52e51bcf8b0ee05a3.jpg

After a bit of research it looks like it could be either the VVT tensioner which I hope it isn’t only done 1200 miles on the engine, sadly these do get tired and it will have come off my old head, before the build.

The intake adjustment valve N205.

Or the fuel relay....

Symptoms..... well, strangely the exhaust seems quieter! I know this because at 70mph on the motorway I couldn’t hear myself talk, now I can have a full blown conversation on hands free.

Possible lack of power but I kind of related that to this extreme heat and my inlet temps were around 12-15C above ambient.

Not noticed any rattling or harsh sounds.

Would my first point of call be replace the cam adjustment valve? and see if that cures things?

Is the car still ok to drive obviously not hard though.

No EML light either.

Last edited:
Cars actually booked in with Bill on 3rd June. For the Toyo Type B Intercooler install and to sort out my droning exhaust. I may as well leave it for them to diagnose properly and fix it.

Is my understanding correct, as long as I don’t get rattling from the tensioner, the car should be fine to until it’s in with Bill? Obviously I’m not going to be able to give it some beans until then.

Mate if I was you I'd just park it up and wait on Bill to sort it. Don't want to damage any of them new parts you have just installed.

I might have to do that! Just been reading lots of threads. Generally this code isn’t a good one! To think I thought we had seen the back of all the bad things going on with my car and then this flags up

Having just looked at the cam chain tensioner side of the head, the solenoid is looking a little “gunky” small amount of congealed oil around it. My guess is it’s blocked and oil isn’t able to flow through to adjust the tensioner.....

So I think I’ll be adding a new tensioner kit to the list of things for Bill to do. Will give him a call tomorrow to confirm my findings.

Whatever next..... :/