My Belated build thread

Seems to be going that way with a lot of them I was lucky then getting mine , I might have to build a stockpile of spares for the future

I think I’m going to start doing the same! I don’t understand why they can’t make to order.... it’s not like they’ve lost the plans for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope... if you can't prevent water from getting to the ECU then you can prevent it from getting on/in

deflect water away from it so to speak

<tuffty/>

I see what you mean, I’ll have to do something for sure. Don’t want the ignitron going through the same conditions as my last one.

Just had some fantastic news from Bill at @badger5. The car has always fought back for whatever reason..... but they have done a top job!

Now running on Ignitron ECU, Toyo type B (welly) Intercooler, Tufftys inlet manifold, 70mm throttlebody and secondary water meth nozzle.

Just going to leave this here :) a very happy Ash indeed!

6bb98a4b815ea3a8d4195110cab47ea9.jpg
b07987da46e6fbd11d31b8e95f4c1850.jpg

Huge thanks to Bill, Nathan, Alex, Tuffty and everyone else :)

Reactions: Asim1, hydro s3, Gonzokew and 4 others
Just the case of trying to get away from work to pick it up, but inching to drive it!

The torque curve is interesting, seems to climb well and then a little dip and up again.

Being able to breath will have lifted top end power... the dip is most likely the changeover as VVT is turned off

<tuffty/>

I've just seen Bill posted this on fb..........excellent results bud, I bet your well chuffed with that outcome:icon thumright:

Being able to breath will have lifted top end power... the dip is most likely the changeover as VVT is turned off

<tuffty/>

Aaaahhhhhh yes, makes sense. I’ve studied as many AET-380 dynos now and there really is no two the same. Incredible the variations in an engines response to modding. For example Germanes TT, torque rocketed up, then dropped and flatlined before tailing off.

The perfect example is Bill Lupo and Germanes TT overlap. Both producing almost identical bhp, torque, etc. But how it gets there, they are on different paths

I've just seen Bill posted this on fb..........excellent results bud, I bet your well chuffed with that outcome:icon thumright:

Very happy mate, I honestly wasn’t expecting huge gains with few those changes. Primarily just wanted the car to breath better, more efficiently and be happier. :)

Aaaahhhhhh yes, makes sense. I’ve studied as many AET-380 dynos now and there really is no two the same. Incredible the variations in an engines response to modding. For example Germanes TT, torque rocketed up, then dropped and flatlined before tailing off.

The perfect example is Bill Lupo and Germanes TT overlap. Both producing almost identical bhp, torque, etc. But how it gets there, they are on different paths

and the lupo does it from less boost.. ;)

So the question is will you be leaving it there or will you try to hit the 400+ bench mark Bill & Germain have set?

So the question is will you be leaving it there or will you try to hit the 400+ bench mark Bill & Germain have set?

I think I’ll be leaving it there mate, can’t see that anything else I do will increase it. I was never about chasing numbers, more reliability and safety.

Maybe after a few thousand miles once everything is settled in and any knock is (less) might be worth revisiting......

At least now I’ve got a great base to start with if I ever decide to go big turbo (G25-550/660) later down the line

What I do find fascinating is my peak torque is lower down granted it’s 10-15ft lbs less and my peak power is higher up.... marginally.

I was under the impression that having my ADR cams fitted I’d actually loose low end torque.

Last edited:
Exactly that, there really isn't much more you could do I guess, bar a bigger down pipe perhaps to get every last bit from it to break 400 possibly. But the ££££ for that last bit probably isn't worth the return you'd see........I'm going to add a set of na cams to mine when I change the vernier pulley over but after that I think I'll call it quits & just enjoy what I have for some time to come.

Hows it driving compared to how it drove before?

Exactly that, there really isn't much more you could do I guess, bar a bigger down pipe perhaps to get every last bit from it to break 400 possibly. But the ££££ for that last bit probably isn't worth the return you'd see........I'm going to add a set of na cams to mine when I change the vernier pulley over but after that I think I'll call it quits & just enjoy what I have for some time to come.

Hows it driving compared to how it drove before?

I’ll let you know when I collect it mate..... work is getting in the way, working two weeks straight. Should be collecting it this coming weekend all being well!

If I decide to go more power, I’ll go with a G25-550 or 660 set up I think.

I’ll let you know when I collect it mate..... work is getting in the way, working two weeks straight. Should be collecting it this coming weekend all being well!

If I decide to go more power, I’ll go with a G25-550 or 660 set up I think.

Ooooh I bet your itching to get back in the seat lol

Yes, allot of good reports coming from the g25 range.......part of me wishes I just got Matt to build me a 2.0 & gone big turbo & said sod it to the cost but I couldn't warrent the £££ with what I have going on in my personal life atm

Update us once you've given it some beans:racer:

Ooooh I bet your itching to get back in the seat lol

Yes, allot of good reports coming from the g25 range.......part of me wishes I just got Matt to build me a 2.0 & gone big turbo & said sod it to the cost but I couldn't warrent the £££ with what I have going on in my personal life atm

Update us once you've given it some beans:racer:

Yes very excited mate! Very excited by the Ignitron ECU and it’s features too, looking forward to what you can do with it.

I’ve got myself a good solid base now if I ever decide to go more, literally all I need to change is the manifold, turbo and downpipe! Oh and the charge pipe to the turbo, however I’ve still got tuffty’s old pipe work so wouldn’t take too much to fabricate it to fit.

Reactions: ADs3
Collected my car from Badger5 today and just wow!

Car runs very smooth, pulls really hard too. Been logging with the Ignitron ECU software, absolutely incredible! Everyone should get one of these..... you literally see everything.

I had a little play around launching it a few times and seeing what my 3rd gear pulls showed and I’m amazed at the accuracy of this ECU to bills dyno! I apologise for the quality of the images.

d7a694b59ec7793f3ab86e7bf0bd95f8.jpg
As you can see here my peak BHP in 3rd gear was 387.5bhp @ 7009rpm! Almost identical to bills results on his dyno.
c593901d3912bc0728432076b2e620c5.jpg
Here you can see my peak Torque is 440Nm in 3rd gear which equates to 324ft/lbs @ 5567rpm again not to dissimilar to bills dyno.

I’m going to keep logging and working out how this all works, so far I’m very impressed! The ECU is still learning so this will allow Bill to fine tune to map as you gather more and more data.

I’ll give the car a good clean up and post further pictures and more interesting things I’ve learnt from Ignitron.

Reactions: hydro s3 and ADs3
In terms of compatibility with the ColourMFA it’s pretty good, so you can still communicate with all the other modules to read any fault codes, obviously you can’t with the Ignitron ECU. But that’s not the end of the world! Interestingly though the clutch switch seems to be reversed.... so when your are driving the ColourMFA says your in Neutral, but if you dip your clutch it’ll show the gear you are actually in. Must be a way around this.....

It still displays all your useful information like miles until empty, intake temps, fuel consumption, etc, etc.

I’ve yet to upload the latest firmware for the ColourMFA so that may fix a few things, not 100% sure though.

Mine has this gear behaviour too... I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong but it seems to be related to IECU... I will have a word and see if it is as simple as a tick box (usually is on IECU).

I assume it registered correctly on ME7?

<tuffty/>

Will check the distributed clutch switch status in the code, maybe it needs to be flipped. Not obvious as clutch switch operation is reversed by default.

Reactions: S3AMJ
Glad I’m not the only one, also noticed my needles on my instrument cluster are a little jumpy as if they are catching, but did the instrument test with VCDS and both move up and down smoothly.

Here are a few updated pics, it’s not completely OEMness like Tufftys was at the moment, need some time to put the covers on etc and paint up my charge pipe silver.

ab03f22cfa284995236709e79b55e5d0.jpg
5a4d8ee3d95bd881409925d29827b891.jpg
a5c46c4f919fefbe57a765f5e59bd35b.jpg

Did some logging on the way back from Badger5 this morning and some interesting readings, I wouldn’t believe what the ECU tells you what your power (BHP) is completely. Because apparently my cars now 436.5hp ;)
9b7dfd2245dd64226726b21ed2006478.jpg

Still an incredible bit of kit. I logged 1 hours worth of data and records everything, literally..... EVERYTHING! I bet if you were to fart it would show up in a graph somewhere haha

Reactions: Asim1, ToughlilT and Gonzokew
Also it’s very nice to see that the water meth injection is working well! I’m getting between 10-15 degrees below ambient air temperature when I’m driving the car hard. The inlet manifold is cold to the touch :)

4ff8cbcd06b3417a3bfa52fb06ae9925.jpg

Mine has this gear behaviour too... I wasn't sure if I had done something wrong but it seems to be related to IECU... I will have a word and see if it is as simple as a tick box (usually is on IECU).

I assume it registered correctly on ME7?

<tuffty/>
Sorry mate, hadn’t realised I’d not replied. Yeah it was working correctly on ME7

Liking the ECU, is Bill the only person that can map the ignitron in the uk?

Anyone that knows how to tune standalone ECU's properly should be able to map an Ignitron...

<tuffty/>

Liking the ECU, is Bill the only person that can map the ignitron in the uk?
We supply & remote tune these worldwide such is the power of the logging, so distance isn't an issue mapping wise if thats you're issue

Very cool indeed mate. The inlet manifold looks well in the bay.
Thanks mate, all the credit is to Tuffty for that one. Lovely piece of engineering. Yet again I’m away from the car.... however it’ll be coming with me to Windsor/London in a weeks time. Lots more logging, etc to do. I’ll try and do some proper 3rd gear pulls, and nail my 0-60 time. Get it under that 5 seconds ;)

Out of interest are you mixing your own meth or are you running a pre mix?

Out of interest are you mixing your own meth or are you running a pre mix?

I mix it myself mate, order the meth online 99.5% pure and distilled water if you can. Otherwise tap water is ok if your not in a hard area.

I mix it myself mate, order the meth online 99.5% pure and distilled water if you can. Otherwise tap water is ok if your not in a hard area.

It's ok sorted out 25 ltrs of each a while ago.
Reason I ask is when I went for mapping Ben said he wouldnt map it on Devils own pre mix as he always see's losses when it's used so it was mapped without meth hooked up.
I just wondered if you'd had the same problem when you went to Bill's had you of been using there pre mixed stuff.

Apparently it's quite well known to not be good........I'd never heard that before or since

So was your car mapped on w/m or was it mapped & then w/m is more of a charge cooling aid?

I’ve also heard that pre-mixed doesn’t get you the best results probably because of the purity of the meth, etc.

Bill said not to bother with it to me and just mix 50/50 which is easy enough. Don’t over complicate it like I was with meth being less dense than water, blah blah blah. It’s by volume.

As we mapping, Bill maps generally non meth dependent.... so the car will be mapped safely and then what ever the water meth yields there after.

Only way to do it in my opinion, last thing you is a meth delivery failure for whatever reason and your engine going bang...... very quickly.

That said the Ignitron ECU has loads more failsafes than the standard ME7 and reacts much quicker, so that would be my saving grace as well.

There are fail safes on the market for running meth dependant so if anything goes off it runs actuator pressure but how reliable they are I dont know.

Have you tried doing a few pulls without meth running to see what's happening/difference?

I'm using mfa to compare how different ratios have different effects atm

Interesting.... I could mate, however. The car is running perfectly so rather me playing around with turning meth off and on. That and the Ecu is now programmed to “expect” the additional meth. I say that loosely... I don’t fancy messing anything up. Just going to enjoy the car for what it is and does now.

Continue to drive, log and send anything over to bill to analysis and adjust accordingly :)

There are fail safes on the market for running meth dependant so if anything goes off it runs actuator pressure but how reliable they are I dont know.

Have you tried doing a few pulls without meth running to see what's happening/difference?

I'm using mfa to compare how different ratios have different effects atm
there are fail safes in ignitron also... which can deal with such an event.
lean events, knock on multiple sensors, limp mode active.. but its not mapped "for" meth, so is adapting it out fuel wise, so no meth will result in same target lambda... knock events would likely get higher, but they were not turned up to 11 anyhow..
i22_limp_modes.JPG

Reactions: S3AMJ