My BAM Repairs and Mods

AH Fab / Ebay / Forge S3/A3 FMIC installs (image heavy)

The thread is literally filled with pictures of installs, parts lists, and details of modifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FMIC and intercooler looks like it would fit easily with trimming, on the TT I didn't have to do any alterations, the only thing I did was remove the side cover bracket ( no side or lower engine cover fitted currently ) - otherwise it interfered with the screen wash piping for the aliens.

But with the s3 the same configuration required trimming especially on the drivers side, also the bumper was never set back to original holes.

Thanks Stuart for the info. As my head will be coming off, hybrid turbo fitted, etc. It’s a no brainier for me to pay bill a little extra to get him to do it. If I had more time and my car was local I’d be stripping the engine myself and doing all the work. I’m restricted to one weekend a month, that alone is only really one full days work on it...... frustrating isn’t the word. But work comes first it’s a perfect opportunity for you though! I’m looking forward to seeing your progress and results now your going the same route

Lol my progress will be slow - months I expect, I have almost finished all the stuff I can do for free (almost) now I need to buy stuff.

By the way I'm not sure how Badger5 would feel about removing the downpipe hanger, they are experts so unless welding a new hanger on probably would avoid a short cut. But could maybe fit it properly in a couple hours?

Reactions: S3AMJ
Lol my progress will be slow - months I expect, I have almost finished all the stuff I can do for free (almost) now I need to buy stuff.

By the way I'm not sure how Badger5 would feel about removing the downpipe hanger, they are experts so unless welding a new hanger on probably would avoid a short cut. But could maybe fit it properly in a couple hours?

You will still beat me to it I reckon Stuart, buying stuff is the fun bit! The hanger your referring to is it the one on the downpipe itself.... or one that’s on the chassis. I’m gonna leave it to the pros on this occasion. I know what’ll happen, I’ll make a start... not finish it and a month later have another go ending up delaying other stuff

no I ground the hanger off the downpipe to fit it through the hole, I could take another photo if you're really that interested, it was okay for a couple of years simply replacing the centre pipe rubber hangers, but I'm sure it's frowned upon by the purists - although you can get bolt on hangers - which I might consider :)

no I ground the hanger off the downpipe to fit it through the hole, I could take another photo if you're really that interested, it was okay for a couple of years simply replacing the centre pipe rubber hangers, but I'm sure it's frowned upon by the purists - although you can get bolt on hangers - which I might consider :)

Ahhhhhh! I follow you now. No you don’t have to go through the trouble mate. I appreciate what your saying. Thanks though for explaining.

No need to apologise mate share the fun these mods are exciting times.

How are things going? Are they winning?

Back on again guys so Intercooler and downpipe decat are on. Now get engine management and traction lights on.

Read the fault codes and got P0102 which points to MAF.

Does anyone have any ideas on possible cause?

Thanks

******. Thanks as always though Paul for the swift response.

Where’s best to buy a new one? GSF appear to be cheapest but are theirs genuine Bosch?

Thanks guys

I bought my last MAF for the TT from Euro car parts. They are genuine Bosch. Don't forget to apply the latest discount codes to get the best price.This MAF is for the BAM engine.
Upload 2018 9 15 10 28 29

There is a surcharge for return on the old one of £24. So works out around £76.

Or you could get the same one from Car parts for less for £62 but you need to post back the old MAF to get the refundable deposit. Don't know if they send you a pre paid label for this, I suspect not.
Upload 2018 9 15 10 27 9

I thought many people were suspicious that ecp and cp4l replace the sensors on returned Bosch mafs with cheap Chinese sensors?

Would really appreciate if anyone knows the answer to Stuart’s question as don’t really want the main component of the MAF to be a Chinese version. Heard horror stories about Chinese MAFs.

The ECP CP4L items are Bosch remanufactured exchange items. The plastic housing of the MAF may not be brand new but the actual sensor itself is a brand new Bosch item. Although it all looked brand new to me.
DSC 3629 smaller

Most of the MAFs received from ECP had been faulty on arrival or lasted not many miles... Dunno if it was a bad batch or what but was enough not to want to get them from ECP anymore..

Maybe they are OK now.. Who knows ..

<tuffty/>

Even Wak from ttforum says if buying from ECP ensure its fully sealed when arrived as people buy them then swap the sensor out with their broken one and send it back for refund, then it's just resold.

TPS quoted me £120 for one, that’s including giving them your old one.

I’d rather pay the extra and go TPS/dealer in that case. Thanks guys.

Given I can’t get one until Tuesday/Wednesday is it worth giving mine a clean or does it sound past it’s life given the fault code?

Given I can’t get one until Tuesday/Wednesday is it worth giving mine a clean or does it sound past it’s life given the fault code?

I attempted cleaning my first failed MAF a few years ago and it made it worse, my method perhaps wasn’t maybe the best. Compressed air is the only thing I think you could use to clean them, but I’m guessing it’s more of an internal failure of the sensor when they start playing up.

I actually bought a sensor only replacement and got lucky I guess as my maxed out everything showed maxed out everything values.

Well it certainly is not resolvable by cleaning attempted it and fault still there. Cleared it before switching car on but such is the case a new MAF it is.

Scanned with Vagcom to see if there was any other fault codes (previous was with Carista) and as well as the P0102 fault code I also have 01314. Is the latter a knock on fault from the first?

Slight update and in need of advice before I folk out for a MAF on the below pic circled in red my tip appears to have torn, could this be cause of fault or is MAF in need of replacement as well as tip?

Badger5 tip here I come. Lol.

Thanks for the swift response.

Now for the options which of Bill’s tips should I be going for?

Thanks for the swift response.

Now for the options which of Bill’s tips should I be going for?

I don’t think there’s any performance difference between them, so it comes down to £££ really

Forgot to post pic not sure if tear has gone all the way through?

6dc21332312b1df77cb746b4a67e911f.jpg

that's already a silicon tip isn't it, how come thats ripped? "fake"?

Well it’s a Forge one and definitely genuine but I’m baffled as to how that would or could rip.

On the flip side I’d rather this be the cause of the fault code than MAF as I really needed an excuse to get Bill’s magic on the car.

I dont think Forge are oversized TIPs are they? it looks weird though thats a rip..

No they’re same size as standard tip but who knows. I have no turbo boost at all now so let’s see how this chapter unfolds.

Might end up renaming the title to ‘My Repairs’

I already have a coolant pipe leak that needs repairing. Lol.

you can whack some duck tape over that temporarily to see if it is the problem.

(not the coolant leak the un-metered air)

Good point might try that

Thanks as always buddy

No they’re same size as standard tip but who knows. I have no turbo boost at all now so let’s see how this chapter unfolds.

I think you need to double and triple check your TIP/boost/actuator pipes because no boost at all is certainly odd.

Just got off the phone to Bill about 15 mins ago to see if tip had been posted and got a knock at the door.

Happy days, let the fun begin
c1a1ff98a7fc3045bc555b6bd6adb3af.jpg

Thanks Bill really appreciate it mate

how is the billet bonded to the turbo intake? (not the silicon pipe that's obvious)