My B7 2.0T Avant Sline SE Build

danhans42

Down on the upside
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Its taken me ages to get around to doing this. I bought my car last May. Came completely standard with 67k on the clock, full service history and a faulty RNS-E headunit.
Car new

Loved the car and how it looked but felt it could look better. So first thing was to get some 19" A6 lemans to upgrade to 18's it came with. at the same time I got some Eibach springs fitted to lower it a little.

12107783 10153395405134475 1204897703314607722 n

I then took it to FR&R for a Stage 1 remap. The difference was night at day. Vastly improved the way the car drove.

I didnt really do much to it over the summer months due to getting married and other life stuff.

About a week ago the exhaust went. It was sounding a bit rough for a while so I have replaced that with a custo built stainless steel 3" turbo back from a local place called Zorstec. After that was fitted it was back to FR&R for a stage 2 remap.

Then it was on to getting the HiFi sorted. I looked around for a replacement LCD module for the RNS-E. I wasnt willing to part with the money that people were wanting for the replacement Audi one, nor the compatible ones from the likes of the Vauxhall Zafira.

So I started exploring the possibility of fitting a 6.5" 848x840px screen, they are available very cheaply (£30). They are not a direct compatible replacement. They use a small PCB which gives you a HDMI input, VGA and two composite inputs. I am going to look at wiring the RGB output of the RNS-E to one of the component inputs so the radio can be controlled more easily. At the moment the only visual output I have from the original part of the RNS is on the MFD.

The DVD drive was also faulty in the RNS-E so I removed it. In its place the driver board for the display sits.

Connected to the board was a Raspberry Pi 2 running OpenELEC.
20160120 131534

Added to the Raspberry Pi is a 24bit I2S sound card which you can see sat on the top in the case. Also in there is a real time clock module so it can keep the time. On the outside of the case you can see the car power supply. This is set up to safely shut down the Raspberry pi when the ignition has been off for 5 minutes, handy for when just putting some fuel in.

Control of this at the moment is handled by a Bluetooth Amazon FireTV stick remote. I a currently working on a solution using the steering wheel controls by sniffing the messages from CAN and then sending them as keystrokes to the Raspberry Pi. I am waiting parts for this at the moment. The Raspberry Pi currently lives under the steering wheel in that little slot where you can keep the manuals etc. The wiring will be tidied when I fit my clutch switch tomorrow and I remove the trim.

Sorry if the timeline is a bit of a mess. I will get some pictures of the head unit in running and some more of the car shortly.

Imminent future upgrades..

I a looking at a RS4 or a 034 sway bar to stiffen the back end up, also some spacers to bring the wheels out a little

Later on this year the alloys definitely need refurbishing, some bigger brakes too but don't know which way to go yet.

Reactions: THQuattro and James.c
Thanks mate.

Heres a few more pics.

The main menu/album/artist view..

20160127 072505

2016 01 25 183511

20160125 153407

Here are a few of the car

2016 01 30 084443

2016 01 30 084403

I will update the thread after the weekend with some more shots. Ive a load more work to do on the raspberry pi install so will get some pics uploaded of that.

Also got a BSR induction kit to install and some Rainbow components for the front.

Reactions: James.c
Great work with the pi mate, was planning similar with mine but undecided atm. I have 2 7" screens to fit in The headrests to keeps the kids happy.

Thanks mate.

I was considering a rear screen but my son is glued to a tablet or phone when he is in the car so not much point. My two Labradors wouldnt be that bothered for watching films either so probably wouldnt bother going that far.

My initial setup was a bit of an untidy bodge. The driver board for the screen was occupying the space the DVD drive occupied so was less than ideal. I never really used the navigation side of the radio but I want to retain the original functionality of the RNS-E.

So today I took the RNS apart and started to install it properly. I stripped the large composite, VGA and power sockets from the driver board to lower the profile of the board. I then set about relocating it between the power supply module and the metalwork that supports the SD card board/CPU navigation board.

20160201 111129

The driver board I have has two composite video inputs as well as the HDMI input that my Raspberry Pi is using. The AV2 composite input has an ACC input which can be wired to automatically switch to it when the car is put in reverse. I have brought those connections out externally so I can add a reversing camera in the future.

The AV1 composite port will be used to display the standard RNS-E data. Unfortunately the RNS-E outputs RGB+SYNC which cannot be wired to the board directly. I have a small board on order from Shenzen which converts the RGBS signal to CVBS that is accepted by my board.

20160201 112238

Above you can see the driver board ninja'd in. The RNS is seriously tight for space inside unlike some of the other OEM navigation units I have played with in the past.

20160201 115338

The whole section re-assembled. My phone battery then ran out so I couldnt take pics of the rest of the re-assembly. The only job left to do was to route the cables out the back of the radio. The easiest way to do this was to cut a small section of the back plate out of the back of the unit. The best location for this is next to the fan at the back of the radio.

The location I chose for the board allows the TTL socket for the LCD module to plug straight in as if it is stock fitted and allows the ribbon to move correctly when the screen open and closes.

20160201 142831

And here is the Raspberry Pi hanging in the footwell before I slotted back into its home in the small storage space underneath the steering wheel.

Reactions: RichMk3
Was like Christmas morning when the postman knocked at the door this morning.

Anti glare film for the RNS-E
20160204 103318

And some Rainbow components for the front.
20160204 103336

Really dont know if I can be bothered fitting the speakers myself. I always seem to end up with rattles coming from the doors so might see if I can get a local place to fit them.

Just need to get some sound deadening stuff before I do.

Great post mate, you have encouraged me to get my finger out with mine :)

Cheers mate, I did like them but they were a little on the tatty side.

Havent done much with it recently other than change the tyres for something wider as they had a little stretch on, and some new rims..

20160224 150224 02

Also I have pretty much perfected the CAN-USB interface for my Raspberry Pi Car PC..

Just need to VIM unlock it so I can use the controls when I am moving.

Reactions: RichMk3
Just a quick update. Haven't done much with the car recently other than fit a GFB DV+ which was an absolute pain in the backside to fit.

After getting mucky, having to buy new tools for the job and the weather getting milder I decided to splash a few £££ on some new brakes.

Ended up going for the ECS stage 1 big brake kit with the floating rotors. It's a complete kit with new carriers which moves the calipers so the disc size can be increased to 345mm from the 321mm that are currently on there.

If not anything else, they should look pretty sweet.

IMG 20160427 214330

At the same time I got a flush mount kit from ECS too which comes with 10mm/15mm spacers for the front and back and longer bolts. Need to get a set of longer black locking nuts too so I don't wake up to the car on bricks.

I'm also waiting for a 034 motorsport ARB that I've ordered from Awsome which hopefully should be here soon.

Haven't fitted brake parts in about 5 years so should be an interesting afternoon when I get round to it :)

Could seriously do with cleaning and painting the calipers while I am there but I am absolutely useless with paint so might be lazy and get someone to do that.

You keeping the standard calipers with the discs mate?

You keeping the standard calipers with the discs mate?

Yeah for now. Will upgrade them later in the year but need to research what will fit. Was thinking something Brembo from an S3 or just fitting S4 calipers but unsure which way to go.

Reactions: Dani_B19
So bit of an update. After going to FittedUK at the weekend I have decided to give the wagon a bit more love. Decided to fit the brakes finally so they are going on today, along with a 034 solid rear sway bar.

Also have upgraded the in car pc a bit. It is no longer running a Raspberry Pi and OpenELEC Kodi,, but an Odroid C2 64bit ARM single board computer running Android. Managed to build a intelligent PSU for it so it detects the key position using the comfort CAN network.

Benefits of this system is its better platform for more than just media playback. Its meant I can use android applications for navigation by using a USB GPS module. Also it means I can also start some development on my plans to have some engine information on the screen. A touchscreen overlay is going to be added shortly to make navigation of some apps slightly easier.

Few pics..

20160802 191455

running GPSInfo.. GPS locks very very quickly.
20160729 172255

Standard Android launcher

20160726 174034

The unit itself. Its a dummy run until I can build the whole thing into something nicer. The current case is the shell of an old Pioneer amplifier. Was thinking about building it into a custom perspex case that slots in where the CD changer goes.

Video

Have tweaked and changed it quite bit since I shot this.

I will get some pics of the brakes up later on.

After that I am not liking the rotors. Thinking of changing, possibly to 20"s if anyone has done that and could let me know what the ride is like id love to hear from you.

Last edited:
New discs fitted. Look great, just need to sort the scabby calipers out.

20160806 115258

Screenshot 20160806 115510

Reactions: Dani_B19
Those brakes look amazing. Notice any improvement?

Looking good! Do you have a link to those rotors? It's a bit of a minefield finding decent ones and they pretty good :) cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk