My Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170

Boarder.2k9

Reaction score
First post. Have been reading and lurking for a while.

Bought this beauty a few months ago, 2.0 TDI 170bhp with 90k on the clock. 2 owners from new, FSH, lovely condition.
Boarder 3

Had a Civic Type R (EP3) before this so has been quite a difference to drive.

Original picture:

Have been really impressed with it, comfy, ridiculous economical and pretty quick. Have done quite a few bits on it so far. Pictures to follow.

Mods:
Cruise control fitted by Ash
Upgrade headunit to Blaupunkt 420 Toronto BT (has Bose system)
Full LED interior lights
6k H7R HIDS, LED sidelights and number plate bulbs
Rear tinted windows 20%
Plastidip anthracite alloys (set was just too blingy)
Plastidip front grill black
Silver indicator bulbs front & back
Cree LED reverse light
Pressed plates
Bluefin remap ordered (on its way, will take it to 197bhp)
Fitted VIOFO A119 dashcam and mic for headunit

And given it a detailing (clay bar, Autoglym SRP, EGP), vinyl protector, glass polish etc. Repaired and revived interior (red/black leather).

To be honest, I just want it to look nice and be a decent daily driver with a bit of power and fun when needed. After a very harsh, super high revving but very fast and fun Civic, I'm not too interested in making the ride harsher etc.

I've only got a couple of pics on my phone, from during the process, more to follow.

Boarder
Boarder 1

7776157898eef1b359c381ccaba8741b.jpg

Cheeky bit of interior with old man's 3.0 Z4.

990baa3301ff9109953b48f0b93c0736.jpg

Have done quite a bit since these pics. I'll grab a few more when I get time.

Getting a good 50mpg on average with 55-58 if real careful. I used to give the CTR a hard time so used to get around 20! Should save me about £1500 a year in fuel!

Any one have experience with the Superchips Bluefin remap with the 2.0 TDI 170bhp? I've read most the stuff I can find but majority refers to the 140bhp being mapped. Looking for feedback from users, it should give this:

eef959a57b94800eb47ef31b373c4404.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Trevor Locke
Know what you mean about the fuel economy - I've forgotten what my local fuel station looks like :haha:

Must be one if the very first 170's as it is an early 2006. Look after it pal and happy motoring.

i usually hate tinted rear windows but.... i am interested in 15-20% rear window tint (because my car is red and looks nice with black)
can u post a photo from behind so i can see the tint-iness :)

about the tuning , people here say that best is a custom remap on dyno(a remap that will be for your car in particular) because that reduces risk or clutch slips and other problems.

Quick update, sorry still haven't taken many pics. Fitted S Line spoiler, managed to get someone to separate it from their boot lid they were selling. £70 delivered in Phantom Black. Cut the bolts off and used Tiger Seal to fit.

13c1e14bf1c438e6b21a17012e30a003.jpg

Then let it dry overnight with weights:

View attachment 115470 View attachment 115471
Boarder 2
View attachment 115473

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'm going to order a Cupra splitter for the front bumper to make it look a bit more aggressive. I think it'll just cost too much to upgrade to S Line body kit.

On a separate note, I'm loving the remap on the car. It's made a real difference and feels just like stock but a lot more power. It's definitely quite a bit quicker.

I think I need my clutch switch replaced but I've posted that question in another that for help.

Is it a straight swap? They're a real decent price on eBay.

Yes straight swap but one of the bulbs is different so you'll need 2 new bulbs. Got mine from euro car parts worked out about £100 ish with a discount code

Yes straight swap but one of the bulbs is different so you'll need 2 new bulbs. Got mine from euro car parts worked out about £100 ish with a discount code
Nice. I had a look and about 150 at the moment, I'll keep looking. Do you know what bulbs?

Nice. I had a look and about 150 at the moment, I'll keep looking. Do you know what bulbs?

Can't remember as I did mine about a year ago but I think it were the brake lights. On the new lights next to the sockets for the bulbs they have a little code telling you which type of bulb to put in .
Also google discount codes if you were to get them from Euro there's always a discount code going.

Reactions: Boarder.2k9
Lovely car :) and the same as me, i had a 2003 Civic type r and was terrible on fuel, the only reason i got rid of it tbh
I have always liked the A3 so bought one, what a difference in fuel bills !! and real world driving it is not as slow as i thought it would be
moving from a type r, also a lot less down shifting to get the power. Thinking of getting it remapped aswell

Reactions: Boarder.2k9
Lovely car :) and the same as me, i had a 2003 Civic type r and was terrible on fuel, the only reason i got rid of it tbh
I have always liked the A3 so bought one, what a difference in fuel bills !! and real world driving it is not as slow as i thought it would be
moving from a type r, also a lot less down shifting to get the power. Thinking of getting it remapped aswell
Thanks mate. Snap! I loved the car, it had a Tegiwa induction kit so it absolutely screamed when it hit the VTEC. I do miss the instant speed and thrill of it but after the remap, the A3 is close to it. A bluefin is £360 and safely puts out 197bhp and a huge amount of torque. The main difference is the A3 is now really quick but in an easy way, just floor it anywhere between 2,500 and 4000 and it'll really fly whereas the CTR was really quick but only in its small powerband and as you said, that constant downshifting, whilst a real thrill at times, does annoy at other times.

The two are worlds apart aren't they!

Thinking of a blue fin for mine, do you notice the difference and what about the fuel econmy, is that the same ??

Thinking of a blue fin for mine, do you notice the difference and what about the fuel econmy, is that the same ??
Fuel economy has been about the same, not sure whether it's better though. Although, it will stay in a higher gear now at lower speeds due to higher torque. Hard to tell though as it's so cold at the moment that the economy is less than it was when I bought the car and haven't had it that long.

Big difference in performance, I noticed it instantly. Between 1-1.5k it feels the same but over this, it's as smooth as before but just faster acceleration. I was instantly happy (after initially thinking I'd never remap a car). If you quote this forum, you get 10% off too. Plus it means I can switch back to stock map within a couple of minutes if needed.

Couple of pics showing the newer mods:

93663003878f6e0255eab183f5e2ea48.jpg

dbe0c460529db169429c0b8a890525f7.jpg

d5f969ef5f4511a638fae7302ed2a3eb.jpg

a0da9ac8a41622a3b8352821cbe48138.jpg

9a952bc6a5fcf7bc7856dce1bdd37aeb.jpg

f2506e28b5632d63efe7185f83b563a1.jpg

Next mod will be to light smoke tint the rear lights, after two failed attempts at tinting them with vinyl wrap, I'll try the spray (gonna be real careful as just after a very slight darker look). MY11 lights would be nice but looking at £140 is cheapest I've found.

Look tidy, i have a 170 tdi quattro which is mapped... I still get high 50's on a long run, anything between 40-50 on work journeys which is mostly fast A roads. If you're thinking remap then the DPF should go too..

Reactions: aqibi2000
Had a cheap OBD Bluetooth connector from my old car, plugged it in, downloaded Carista and enabled beep on lock, tear drop wipe and hazards on emergency stop. Well impressed, tried OBDEleven but could never get it to work. Cost £8.99 for a week of pro for the app but enabled everything I wanted instead of buying a VCDS. I know people on here will go nuts that I didn't buy a cable from Ross Tech but £15 all in compared to £250 or what it is... Sorry, no brainier.

Look tidy, i have a 170 tdi quattro which is mapped... I still get high 50's on a long run, anything between 40-50 on work journeys which is mostly fast A roads. If you're thinking remap then the DPF should go too..

How do you get on at MOT time with the DPF removed, does it cause any problems?
Cheers

Tinted rear lights, managed to run out before fully matching both sides so will have to try and darken one side later! What a pain. Happy with how it looks, well, how one side looks now anyway.

09c75fabe889545c4906cf47cfe43187.jpg

How do you get on at MOT time with the DPF removed, does it cause any problems?
Cheers
Just had mine done by Angel Tuning in Bambury...
Mine is also a 170 pd not cr.
Mot was last week and went through without a single advisory and was well under the emmisions threshold

For the remap I asked for economy not power. They disabled the EGR and gutted the DPF.

Got her back and i have to say its much pokier and the quattro is kicking in a bit more in the current weather.

Im getting a steady 43 mpg with equal amounts of town / B roads.

On motorway she sits at about 53 mpg cruising at 80mph.

Compared with between 23 and 35 mpg before the work was completed because she was nearly always in regen mode.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Colligreen