My allroad on 20" audi s8 alloys

adamss24

Reaction score
Here's my workhorse, ABT Sportsline on audi s8 20" rims 8.5" wide. I also have a 9" set of 4 off a d3 s8 wich will be powdercoated black... Car is still a work in progress, need the bumper trim fitting, also i have a rs6 spoiler to go on and color codding to be done. Hope you like-it ! I have a set of fat5 alloys as well but they look lost in the arches...
DSCF3753.jpg

DSCF3754.jpg

DSCF3755.jpg

DSCF3756.jpg

DSCF3744.jpg

DSCF3740.jpg

Chris,

Love the top 2 pictures with the S8 rims:cool:

What size tyres are you using with them? Can you get tyres thin enough to keep roughly the same circumference as standard wheel/tyre combination?

Cheers (thermostat still perfect thanks!)

255/35/20 tyres at the moment and it's perfect fit with 25mm hub adaptors/spacers all round. I did not checked against the stock rims but they are much bigger than the 235/45/18 i have on the 18" a8 rims. I have another d3 set which are 9" wide but without tyres they will need much narrower tyres or thicker adaptors up front. I will mix and match the 2 sets so i will have 8.5" on the front and 9" on the rear just to fill the arches better.

Chris,

That looks so nice. The wheels completely change the look of the car. I've just looked out of the window at mine in the carpark and I'm afraid to say she looks crapola. Looks like the cars that feature on Audizine.

I really want a set for mine. How does it drive on the elastic band tyres? Must handle beautifully. Has it affected the acceleration at all?

Is it on Level 1. Are you going to 402 mod the car? I really fancy a set of Stern adjustable top arms to correct camber/caster, etc.

Coming to catch up real soon. :yes:

Yes please N8. The OEM 17" allroad wheels with balloon size tyres are mushy and soft. Looking to sort the handling out before Turbo/injector upgrades.

Chris,

That looks so nice. The wheels completely change the look of the car. I've just looked out of the window at mine in the carpark and I'm afraid to say she looks crapola. Looks like the cars that feature on Audizine.

I really want a set for mine. How does it drive on the elastic band tyres? Must handle beautifully. Has it affected the acceleration at all?

Is it on Level 1. Are you going to 402 mod the car? I really fancy a set of Stern adjustable top arms to correct camber/caster, etc.

Coming to catch up real soon. :yes:
It does handle pretty well for such a big old barge ! The car is on stock level 2 in the pictures, level 1 drops-it into the weeds, no real need to do the 402 mod ! At the moment there's 8.5" wheels all round and they need spacing more on the back. I will use the other set to make 2 sets of staggered wheels 9" and 8.5"... The tyres are good Michelin's and have decent rim protectors, i bought a set of Falken sport tyres at £160 each, will update soon ! Setting off is ok and once on the move it's picking up quick enough for the size of the tyres and it looks so right on these !

Dayum Chris! With your uprated ARB's and low-profile tyres... err, when did you say you were free for a test drive?

Do you have a 2nd set of S8's for me? The engine mods can wait. I agree the allroad looks right on 20" wheels.

I guess you're grateful for the low gearing in 1st and 2nd to get all that mass rotating. Does it tram-line much and what's it like over speed bumps?

Last edited:
Err. N8. Can you even get full lock? The office is quiet and i just dropped the F-bomb (four letter word).

I really need a set. And now i have to drive to another site in my balloon-tyred-allroad.

Last edited:
Dayum Chris! With your uprated ARB's and low-profile tyres... err, when did you say you were free for a test drive?

Do you have a 2nd set of S8's for me? The engine mods can wait. I agree the allroad looks right on 20" wheels.

I guess you're grateful for the low gearing in 1st and 2nd to get all that mass rotating. Does it tram-line much and what's it like over speed bumps?
Yes mate, i have another set ! You will need 25mm spacers (plenty on ebay) and i will recommend 8.5" wide upfront and 9" rear for the best stance ! Pop over to have a drive in it, it's not tramlining at all and i don't have all brand new wishbones as you do ! No difference over speed bumps, i actually find it better over bumps as on the 18" and i tend to drive more on 1st setting !

N8 - I accidentally let out an expletive when i saw the images of your car at work. **EDIT** Maybe it's the camera angles, but can you get full lock? Is it on airbags? It must scrape going over speed bumps, right? It's almost BTCC stance. Just looks mean.

Chris - You have a 2nd set? Work is crazy this week. I'll try and come over sometime next week. Can't wait to drive it! But, won't running different width tyres knacker the centre diff? Have you seen websites where people modify the centre diff by removing a couple of shims (a la JHM 4:1 centre diff) VWVortex.com - B5 S4/A4 4:1 center differential modification like StaSIS/JHM.

Hmmm... engine mods? or big wheels????

Last edited:
^^^You use the same tyres all round but on the rear they will be a touch stretched ! There's a few guys running rs4 on these rims without issues, 0.5" of stretch is insignificant as the Torsen quattro only sees different rolling radius not the width difference !

Chris - Got it. Of course. You run the same tyres all round. You just have to be careful when parking. Your car looks so different. So used to seeing it on the Fat Fives.

N8 - are those RS brakes?