My A7 modded my way...why are there hardly any A7 threads around??

holmefield

Reaction score
So to start, as i meant to start this thread when i got my A7 2 months ago, alas that didn't happen.

So how did i get to me current A7, its been a long car ride thats for sure, im 43 years old and if my memory and car counts right this is around about my 38/39th car to date...Not including the cars i've bought the wife.

There''s been a fair old mixed bag but in the Audi range i've had

A 1994 A4 Cab...love that car 2 litre 8v and it was so nice to drive

A 2003 A3 SE TDI 130 bhp, loved this car and it served the family well for 5 years and i sold it with 192000 miles on the clock

A B6 2004 130 bhp Tdi s line A4, again great car, it was a multronic gear box had that 18 months

A 2013 A5 sportback 177 bhp TDi S line

And now a 2013 A7 S Line 245 bhp...

Along the way theirs also been some Bmw's and some porsches ( i love porsches and when the kids are grown up a 991.2 C4 will be in my garage )

So to the A7, its a funny spec'd one which is what attracted me to it, its an S LINE 245bhp model, with loads of options thrown @ it when new, including external Factory black pack... In fact i have the original bill of sale and it would have been cheaper for the 1st owner to have ordered a BLACK EDITION than to order this None black edition, crazy if you ask me..

I have always MODDED my cars over the years and like to do things my way ( sometimes with mixed results ) im a bit of a wheel whore and have had GOD knows how many sets over the years, i always like to have 2 sets for each car i have. A nice winter set ( no winter beaters on my cars ) and my summer set, my current summer set for the A7 are 20" RS5 spec and low offset rotors with a lovely deep concave and a polished face, these haven't been on the A7 yet but will be on come spring and my final E.Ts will be front E.T 15 rear E.T 10.. Perfect for running flush to the arch lips.

So a quick list of my mods done in my 2 months of ownership are

1. Steering Wheel paddle extensions
2. Led interior bulbs upgrade
3. Carista Car Coding done so far , needle sweep, boost gauge, digital temp, alarm beep on lock/unlock, green screen unlocked, lap timer, comfort light setting activated..
4. Xenon Led reverse bulbs fitted, these are actually from the Bmw range but they work perfectly well on the A7 as mine is the cross over year from spade type bulbs to fit for life LED type bulbs.
5. Carbon front splitter.
6. Custom ( made by me ) red and silver center cap badges for the alloys )
7. Gloss red brake calipers, they had been done before i bought it REALLY REALLY badly, so i redid them in Ferrari Gloss red
8. Black Audi ring decals for the calipers
9. Gloss Black A7 and TDI badge swop
10. Custom black and red Quattro badges for the front grill and rear boot
11. Matt black with Gloss red S line front wing badges
12.DTUK crd+T2 tuning box, currently running program 1 +2 setting

Now 13 SHOULD have been the S TRONIC gear knob swop, i say should as i got it 95% done including the dreaded white plastic 90 degree heat and twist bit and fitted the new Genuine knob ( looked great ) by the way... Then disaster........i pressed the button in to move the knob through the gears and the button refused to spring back, no amount of pulling would release it.

I had to dismantle it to get it off, in the process destroying the BRAND NEW GEAR KNOB £110 up the swanny...turns out the gear knob was faulty before i fitted it, it was manufactured wrongly..im currently attempting to get my money back...

Thats enough for tonight i will add some pics from when i fitted some of the above bits as i update the thread. Like i've said i mod for me and try to achieve OEM+ where possible

Reactions: mister.c., AUDI_ADDICT, THQuattro and 1 other person
So things to do to the A7 are

1. Re do the S TRONIC gear knob swop
2. Possibly fit some 21" summer alloys ( but keep the rotors )
3. Sound booster for the exhaust
4. Reverse camera
5. RS6 airbox mod
6. Rs7 front grill
7. Fit my AKRAPOVIĆ gloss carbon tail pipes
8. Gloss Carbon my rear Diffuser
9. Matt silver wrap my wing mirror and centre lower front bumper

Reactions: THQuattro and millsy4002
Looking forward to the pics.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: holmefield
The typical profile of an A7 buyer is the main reason there is no significant modding of these cars, that and it’s actually a relatively low volume production car , making it uneconomical for most aftermarket suppliers to produce anything A7 specific.

Most A7 modifications, from an engine perspective, are pulled from similar engined cars within the VAG family, and the majority of other mods are contained to either applying parts from a higher model in the family, or customised modifications carried out by the owner.

The US market is significantly more active on the A6/7 platform mainly because they are all focussed on exclusivity and 0-60 times on the racetrack. This site here is the one I use the most http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/265-C7-A6-S6-RS6-A7-S7-RS7

Having said that there are a few of us around, but it it’s a very small group. Here are my mods.....

RS7 Gear knob
Carbon steering wheel
Carbon mirrors
Carbon rear valence
Carbon door trim
Porsche Yellow powder coated brake calliper
Custom free flow exhaust
Carbon exhaust tips
All exterior chrome wrapped matt black
OEM RS7 front grill
Roc-Euro sports air intake
Custom matt Black powder coated 20” alloys
Custom (Cete) air suspension control
Front and rear dash cams (BlackVue)
LED lighting in the boot
Remote control of the tailgate (VCDS mod)
Lap timer in the HUD + gear and temp display (VCDS mod)
Subwoofer in the trunk
Xpel paint protection film on the front of the car
Debadged, with black rear rings
Ceramic paint protection on non-PPF areas
Coming in Feb: APR Stage 1 & Transmission TCU upgrade

That’s about it off the top of my head.:racer:

20170813_103503_zpsn0xfyhdi.jpg

Reactions: GTDezza, THQuattro, Persuader - BiTDI and 1 other person
For some reason my galaxy S7 does not like uploading pics to this site folks so it mite be a long thread with little picture activity, every time i try to load a pic fgrom my phone it says pic to large????

it loads the odd pic but most it doesnt, how do i resize pic on my phone?

Sorry RAF-S7 i have no idea why one of your pics has attached its elf to my pic, if im honest this is why i havent done many threads as im ok with tech but computers do my head in when trying to load pics.

my computers fairly new and so is my phone yet this web site seems to hate loading any of my pics, its makes loading pics time consuming and frankly a ballache, so it mite just be lots of words from me folks unless somebody knows how to re size pics on my phone so it will load them without trowing up the above 2mb limit every time?????

Reactions: RAF_S7
Here's my modded A7 Bitdi. (UK)
37377d26e3cf6625d6980aeb9e0b1d5a.jpg
bc48fb6ea0f49222e9fd236c64b2cca0.jpg

Reactions: GTDezza, THQuattro, holmefield and 1 other person
Nice Fundedlearning.

I wanted a BiTdi but didnt want to pay the premium, i really want a similar active exhaust setup like the Bitdi has but dont want to pay the Kuctec setup price

Here's my modded A7 Bitdi. (UK)
37377d26e3cf6625d6980aeb9e0b1d5a.jpg
bc48fb6ea0f49222e9fd236c64b2cca0.jpg

I’m looking for a slimline rear spoiler lip, as you have on your pop-up spoiler. Do you have the supplier details?

All I can find are Chinese imports, and while l don’t mind an import, lm picky about the quality lol.

Nice Fundedlearning.

I wanted a BiTdi but didnt want to pay the premium, i really want a similar active exhaust setup like the Bitdi has but dont want to pay the Kuctec setup price
Thanks. I have a Kufatec on mine to enhance sound further and to provide adjustability.

RAF_s7 did you have any issues with your gear knob swop..i got my plastic insert twisted around 90 degrees fine but how did you make sure your gear knob was twisted to bang on 90 degrees? B4 pushing it down, it didnt help that my internal pivert arm in the new gear knob button wasnt right to start with

@holmefield car looks awesome. I made your pic bigger. When your post up your pic as a thumbnail, just enlarge it to full size before you post. Enjoy.

Right i've been having a mess around and it seems that all of my pics are above 2mb size, so can anybody advise how to make my pics smaller than 2mb on my phone that i can upload them onto here????

I'd love the Kufatec for mine but i think the wife would chop my balls off..there about 970 euros aren't they? + fitting
There is two things that need buying.
1.The Audi exhaust and dome actuators which the bitdi has as standard. Yes about 970 euros +fitting. This in itself gives good sound.
2. A Kufatec sound booster if you want to amplify and choose different sounds. £280.

Probably not worth doing above on non bitdi.

I’m looking for a slimline rear spoiler lip, as you have on your pop-up spoiler. Do you have the supplier details?

All I can find are Chinese imports, and while l don’t mind an import, lm picky about the quality lol.
Hi. I've seen you on Audizine (I'm called "Persuader" there.

I bought the Carbon Fibre boot spoiler off ebay for £140. Great quality and looks superb.

Reactions: RAF_S7
So just a quick one, for those that are considering the DTUK boxes.

This the 3rd car i have had one on and i have had may remaps over the years as well, i already had the DTUK box left over from my A5, so i sent it back to DTUK who flashed it for my A7. Due to it been the newer version, i got it brand new just over a year ago, i didnt need to change the plugs as the A5 Face lift and the A7 use the same plugs.

I had it on map 1 + 1 and it was ok but didn't really give any better MPG, im on map 1 +2 now and im seeing even in winter about 3 mpg gain on daily driving and some go when needed.

Is a remap better, yes probably, but the tuning boxes are handy... Im looking into possibly doing the Rs6/7 airbox swop but only if it make some more noise as im 99% sure it has no effect on the BHP.

RAF_s7 did you have any issues with your gear knob swop..i got my plastic insert twisted around 90 degrees fine but how did you make sure your gear knob was twisted to bang on 90 degrees? B4 pushing it down, it didnt help that my internal pivert arm in the new gear knob button wasnt right to start with

No, but the you need to be aware that not all knobs are created equal.... (My current S7 was fine, had an issue on my previous A7)

They look similar, but the (for example) RS3 or 5 etc wont fit the A6/7 C7 models as the end of the stick and the release mechanism is slightly different. I got one off fleeBay, advertised as fits RS7/A7 etc, turned out to be from an RS5, and had to destroy it to get it off the stick when it jammed :sorrow: Ended up buying new via the Parts Request system. The actual heat and twist method is fairly easy, just don't overdo the heating part, and don't twist if its not hot enough, or you run the risk of snapping the nylon release post!

Ok lets try this.
It works

Thank you sandra, so this is my standard factory 20" alloy and as you can see this is my custom painted ( by me ) centre cap and Ferrari Gloss red caliper and decal....
The paint finish on the alloys arnt standard Audi by the way, they have been refurbed @ some point in the past. Nowa not so funny story when i took the car for a test drive it was country lanes and 30mph zones, so no motorway blasts...but whilst driving home i could hear a sound like the diff or a wheel bearing noise ( panic ) or possibly an unbalanced alloy ( not panic )

So i lived with it for a few weeks but @ 60/75mph it was doing my head in so with it having a slight drift to the left if i took my hands off the wheel i booked it in for a lazer alignment @ alignmycar.com

The A7 was slightly out @ the front end bang on @ the rear, now the shock and the reason for my noise...........3!!!!! Of my 4 factory 20" alloys are BUCKLED ***!!!

Not by me i mite add as been a 20 year wheel whore im obsessed with avoiding kerbs and potholes, how did the previous owner managed to buckle 3 alloys...so the garage checked all four on the balancer and rotated them around as best as possible and 80% of the rumble noise has now gone...

Job for summer get my winter alloys un buckled...
20171203 140636 3628x2721

Reactions: Sandra
Right now i have the hang of picture resizing away we go.

In the below pic you can see my carbon!!!! Spoiler and just above in the centre below the grill MY NEXT BATTLE...

Its a piece of plastic that can be unbolted from the bumper as it has 4 screws underneath, now i've had my car up on ramps to do the front splitter and @ the same time intended to wrap the removable plastic trim part in Matt silver ( my wing mirrors will be done in the same matt silver ) i've been car parts wrapping for about 5 years now so this should have been a 20min job...

But could i remove the trim after undoing the screws???? Could i hell god knows what else is holding the trim on, any ideas folks????

20171204 150004 3427x2570 3358x2518

RAF_S7 im inclined to agree with you over the gear knob issue.

My seller!!! Said that my BRAND NEW S TRONIC gear knob was 100% Audi fitment...heres some pics as to why i disagree, and yes like you RAF_S7 i had to dismantle my.

I believe mine was manufactured wrong as the pivert arm ( the alloy bit im pointing @ was on the wrong side of the white roller im also pointing @ which when pressed in for the 1st time caused the alloy pivert arm to lock soild into position...im currently in a heated argument with the seller a big company by the way over a replacement or refund. There argument is i destroyed the button removing it..Well of course i did as thats the bl__dy only way to get it off when its faulty and locked in solid to the shaft.

20180110 190126 2963x3951
20180110 190044 2963x3951
20180110 190106 3175x4233

I've just found this one on ebay, which is exactly the same as mine.

Right so a final upload for the night, i dont really use my factory paddles if im honest but i still wanted to get some paddles extensions just for the hell of it so got these from Ali Express..
20180108 132159 2872x3829
20180108 135516 3628x4837
20180108 135524 3628x4837

Now there not to everyones taste but we all like different things and i like them..

Next up, the standard reverse bulbs on A7s are poor @ best and these cars have a big backside, so A Cree Led bulb upgrade was needed....now be careful which ones you get as mine is a november 2013 build car and they changed the standard reverse bulbs from spade type fitment to "fit for life" LED type bulbs in mid 2013, got sent spades pulled mine A part and yep mines fitted with the revised Fit for life bulbs...bummer....so back the spades went and got replaced with these..
20171222 134017 3175x4233
20171222 134026 3175x4233
20171222 135413 3780x5040
20171222 140014 3427x2570

Right time for a few updates..

DTUK tuning box..now on my Bmw 330D the the 1st DTUK tuning box i had was faultless.

The CRDT+ that i got new 12 months ago for my A5 and now has been reflashed for my A7 has been pretty faultless...apart from..

So in the A5 to of my maps, map2 + 3 and map 3 + 2 brought up errors after around 500 miles, basically the coil light came on and stop/start not working flashed up...A reset with CARISTA app and map changes sorted this problem.

Now this week the A7 has had a wobbler over the DTUK box..on sunday i started the car and the coil light comes on ( gulp ) but ran fine so we set off got about 4 miles and on comes the engine check light and warning saying stop/start disabled ( double gulp ) & i had zero boost limp mode!!!!!

Add to this we were off for a family meal @ my parents and my wife was shouting @ me that our/my car ( when we are arguing over it ) shouldn't be doing this as it was well expensive and blah blah blah..so got to dads stuck it in the garage as it was pi__ing it down took the engine cover off read my fault codes. Which were

Screenshot 20180121 141911 2160x3840
Screenshot 20180121 141911 2160x3840
These are the same ones i got on the A5 but didnt get zero boost or limp mode in the A5???

SO i unplugged the various DTUK plugs on the boost plug and fuel rail and took of the plug on the flow pressure sensor just next to the turbo, think its calked N75??? Checked them all reattached them cleared all my fault codes, there were 21!!!!! And went for a drive, low and behold no warnings or coil light or engine check light and full boost?

Got back rechecked for faults and zero detected.

So i've now changed to map 2 + 1 and so far have completed about 100 miles with no errors..

But its got thinking about going for a proper custom map now for the A7 and gearbox flash..i've spoken to Bobby Singh and he thinks he can get between 320/330 bhp and around 700Nm from his remap and reflash and update my gearbox @ the sametime..so after some saving i mite go down this root in the longer term..just need to save some pennys 1st

But next up will be having these bad boys fitted
Screenshot 20180120 233135

Im having the OEM back boxes cut off ( so if needs be i can have them welded back on come sale time ) and straight pipes added in there place with these tail pipes fitted..

Now apparently the back boxes are good for 10 bhp each increase once removed, i dont believe that, but hay ho... hopefully there shouldn't be to much noise increase @ town speeds, only a nice roar when in sport mode accelerating hard and fingers crossed not much droning @ motorway speeds...

Im just waiting impatiently for the tips to arrive...once there fitted i'll match up the carbon wrap needed and wrap my rear diffuser in gloss carbon...

Reactions: RS4B5
Well flipping ****...Fault code P0236 reappeared this morning on my way home along with the dreaded coil light and no boost...

It managed 100 trouble free miles on map 2 + 1...

So i unplugged the DTUK plugs plugged um back in changed to map 3 + 0 reset the fault, started the car and the coil lights gone and no fault codes registered...the plot thickens

attached now.
bbb9a1415751df8d87e74c9a67d2fdb3.jpg

Pretty sure that one does fit on top of the retractable spoiler, I bought a new but unused on eBay which came from UK carbon and it has a Ridge in it so it fits on the trailing edge of the boot.

If you try and fit it on the spoiler there’s a channel gap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk