My A6 3.0TDi Avant bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Looking from the front of the car :

Gateway pin 2 is going to boot and meeting blue pin 8 cable from BEM. Solder them together and put to pin1 of new BEM.

Pin14 from old BEM plug going to pin 2 of new BEM . I skipped that and ran pin2 to battery +

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to finish it up ;-). Can I make those connections without new alternator? Just new gateway and voltage monitor? And add alternator later?

3g so far, but plan to go further to 3gp ;-)

I was only asking as you don't really need to change the battery monitor side of things until you go to 3GP.

True but not many people is building it on 4L0907468 SW 0071. I have new battery monitor installed but unfortunately as you mentioned couple months ago - it is still giving me ESP error without new generator .

Well I guess I'm not the only one interested in the 3g retrofit.

I have all the modules to include
Radio
Gateway
MMI
Speedo
Infotainment
CD Change

I stripped an old wiring harness from a 2010 A6 to get the Screen Harness and Quadlock

How did you connect the quadlock for the radio in the back? When you removed the other modules did you use a MOST loop ?

No, I just removed the optical cables that were unused.

Not sure what you mean by connecting the quad lock in the back, but I used the original power cables from the old radio module, just cut the plug off and fitted new pins to go into the quadlock.

Reactions: yesiamdc
No, I just removed the optical cables that were unused.

Not sure what you mean by connecting the quad lock in the back, but I used the original power cables from the old radio module, just cut the plug off and fitted new pins to go into the quadlock.

You wouldn't happen to have the pinout.. I think I'm going to finally embark on doing this, this weekend.

No Sorry, best get yourself a copy of elsawin for the pinout information.

OK, so it looks like photobucket are now charging to link images.... Looking to try and fix this issue, by using another hosting company anyone have other suggestions of image hosting that don't charge £80 a year, and has a better interface.

Last edited:
OK, so it looks like photobucket are now charging to link images.... Looking to try and fix this issue, by using another hosting company anyone have other suggestions of image hosting that don't charge £80 a year, and has a better interface.
I can link images fine still through photobucket without a charge?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I attempted the retrofit yesterday and for some reason now NOTHING works. Instrument cluster doesn't light up. The can gateway can't be read and k1 and k2 have short to grond errors .

Before replacing the gateway for whatever reason the screen wouldn't light up either. Made sure there was power and all but nothing. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Without seeing the car it would be very difficult to understand what issues you have. But remember when you fit a new gateway the car will go into component protection, and nothing much will work, you will just have enough function to get the car to the garage to remove CP. However if you cannot connect to the gateway then you have another problem, what that is I have no idea.

Thanks for the documentation b5Nut my issue ended up being fuses. My dumb fault. Either way, now that i have 3G installed, i just ordered an A8 module to go to 3G+ any other things i need to know? Cable for GSM antenna or anything of the sort?

Hey Kris.
Great break down of what you did, will you be putting the pictures back up as I want to change the door lock on my A6? They were up but now are gone...the would be a real help to me.

Regards
Peter

Hey Kris.
Great break down of what you did, will you be putting the pictures back up as I want to change the door lock on my A6? They were up but now are gone...the would be a real help to me.

Regards
Peter

Hey Peter @Crossmax ,
Wast this post to me or @B5NUT?

Hey Kris, yes it was, my apologies!

Regards
Peter

Reactions: KrisKrk
Unfortunately Photobucket have destroyed this thread by what they have done. I've got new hosting, but as yet I need to download all the images from my old pb account, last time it tried it was failing 90% of the time (I guess thousands of other users are trying to download their images) So I need to have another go at this weekend, then I need to get the mods to unlock the thread so I can fix all of the links......

It's not going to be quick sorry.

Unfortunately Photobucket have destroyed this thread by what they have done. I've got new hosting, but as yet I need to download all the images from my old pb account, last time it tried it was failing 90% of the time (I guess thousands of other users are trying to download their images) So I need to have another go at this weekend, then I need to get the mods to unlock the thread so I can fix all of the links......

It's not going to be quick sorry.
We'll wait for you bud, as your thread is wicked

Reactions: B5NUT
I'm really pi$$ off with pb, how they can ask $400 a year to host images is a joke. The new hosting I got is less than $40 a year. Now wait's for pb to go chapter 11:readit:

Use imgur to upload the pics, its free . B5nut what 3G+ unit did you use in your a6, I've heard you can use either q7 or a8 is that tru?

photobucket was also free until they changed the terms & conditions...

I cannot remember off the top of my head but you can use a Q7 unit without having to convert MMI software on the unit. Only certain A8 units will work on the A6, and you have to convert the units to run the Q7 MMi software, it's not a simple process so you are best of with a Q7 unit, it's just about plug & play except for the face plate.

That's a shame i have an A8 unit on the way, unfortunately so i guess i'll be dealing with the pain in the *** of coverting the software.

that is if the hardware will work, only certain units can be converted to run the Q7 3GP MMI software.

Do you think a new A6 3G+ unit will work with a changed faceplate?

No A3, A6 or A7 units would work, they cannot be converted to run the required MMI software..

PB destroyed the thread. Hope you will be able to download and reupload the pics.
Anyone can remember the PN for Facelift Generator for 3.0/2.7TDI? I need to finally change it due to communication issue and MMI upgrades . I can't find the part number . Would appreciate the help

So other than having to spend a bit of time fixing all the links in the thread, time has come to to move on from the C6. The car is now started to show it's age, there are various issues with the body work and as I got a C7 last year and Mrs B5 wanting a smaller car time has come to get rid of the C6.

Due to all the modifications on the car I'm going to break it as it's worth far more in bits than it is selling complete. The car won't be broken until I receive the new car in November (Audi A3) so please don't send me post's or PM's about parts. I will put a post up in this thread with a link to sales thread once I'm ready to break the car.

Thanks to everyone that has helped over the last 3-1/2 years, been a lot of fun but now looking forward to spending less time fixing cars, and more time enjoying them!

That's a shame bud but I understand your point.

Would be interested in that power tailgate bits you've used.
Will wait for your parts post.

Yes it's the body work that is letting the car down, someone dented the wing in the car park a while ago, and needs a new wing and paint as it crack the paint work. However the main issues are the sill's, there is quite a bit of damage where either previous owners or garages have damaged the sill's by not using the jacking points and jacking the car on the sill's. I'd repaired the drivers side last year but the rust is coming back again. The tailgate was also resprayed a few years ago, but again the rust is coming back, so with replacement sill's, wing, tailgate then paint (front bumper could also do with a respray) the costs are just not adding up, it's a shame as it just (last week) passed its MOT with no advisories.

Shame that car will go for spares but I totally understand . Cracking work done by owner anyway :)
I know it's early but I want to give you the heads up that I will take your 3G Bose amp if you have one ;)

So all the images in the thread have been relinked, except for when members have quoted my post which still have the old photobucket links.

Update on the A6. It's now going into the Audi scrappage scheme (except all the retrofitted parts) Also If anyone wants to buy any parts off the car then let me know before it goes for scrap.

Here are some final images of the car before all the retofit parts are removed., will be sad day to see it go.
20170913_183302%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183315%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183329%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183338%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183348%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183645%20(Medium).jpg

20170913_183720%20(Medium).jpg

Be sad to see it go to be honest. You have done so much work. :)

Reactions: B5NUT
I am looking for BT module with wires for mmi 2g high and navigatio dvd module with wires if you have i am interested :)