My A6 3.0TDi Avant bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Done a fair bit that I've not posted yet, which I'll do when my little one gives me a bit of time. I've not played with MMI Basic that much so cannot confirm if the battery monitor is available, you may know better than I. If it is then you need to go into the hidden menu which you can enable with VCDS, but to be fair I always found the battery monitor to be less than useless.

Some forums claim that the battery monitor actually caused battery drain and low battery faults, even non starting, which is why it was disabled in MMI and in the hidden menu.

This is my first post and first search in regards to thinking about upgrading my current MMI,which is the MMI Basic with red screen. I have a Audi A6 C6, 2.0L TDI 2004. I spent an hour reading through all the posts and would like to thank you for all the time and the break down of all the information. Looking to upgrade to the 3G+ with TV and the new cluster. This will need the new AMI and all the additional bits. I wanted to know if you could provide all the relevant part numbers needed? Is there a complete guide to the install, other than the thread? Specific requirements in regards to software versions?

If your going down the 3G+ route then it not a straight forward retrofit like on the 3G retrofit. I've now replace the 3G setup in my existing post and fitted 3GP, it requires a 5F unit from either a Q7, Q5, A4 or A5. You could convert an A8 unit but that requires changing the MU version, as you need MU9498 with software version 767, (MU9408, will not work with the A6, C6 as it uses different MMI software, also A1 & A3 units will not work). You also need to figure out if you want to have the 5F module with or without SIM slot.

I've not found a single site that has a full break down of a 3GP installation, I had to trawl through German and Russian forum sites with the help of google translate, and there a very few English forums where people had done this on a C6 and if you do have question not may people what to give you a response, it seams very cloak to dagger as there are a lot of people try to charge for this retrofit.

I'm going to put a post up on my 3G+ retrofit, but it won't go into the detail making up wiring harness, you need to get yourself a copy of elsawin, and the wiring harness pin's as if you buy the repair pins from Audi it will cost you a small fortune just for the pins.

Also you need to fit a Q7 can gateway as non of the A6 gateways are compatible with the 3G+ system, and you will need to replace the central electric module with a facelift version, replace the alternator voltage regulator with a A6 facelift version and remove the old battery monitor as that is now done on the the can-gateway rather than a separate module like on all pre-facelift A6's, it also requires a new battery earth cable and there are a couple of pins that you need to remove from the old battery monitor to facelift earth cable....

When I get chance I'm going to post up a mini write-up of my install but 3GP is not straight forward, unlike the old 3G setup.

Reactions: riwi, RoyC and Kennarded
Thank you for the reply, it seems I have a lot of reading to do in preparation, but as much information as possible would be most appreciated. Will start looking for a copy of elsawin. Look forward to your new write up.

Here are a few picture of my 3G+ setup, I'll get around to a write-up in the next couple of weeks.

I've still got the following to complete
Enable TMC Pro
Change the background image from the Q7 to an A6.
Replace the 2G MMI panel with a C7 3G+ Panel

WP_20150411_002_zpsrayjye9s.jpg

WP_20150411_004_zps1xngecsm.jpg

WP_20150411_003_zps2zei93st.jpg

WP_20150411_011_zpsl6rkdeo4.jpg

WP_20150411_009_zpsevbufmwp.jpg

WP_20150411_010_zpsz9dj26oe.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: spavemonkey, RoyC and ScottD3
Here are a few picture of my 3G+ setup, I'll get around to a write-up in the next couple of weeks.

I've still got the following to complete
Enable TMC Pro
Change the background image from the Q7 to an A6.
Replace the 2G MMI panel with a C7 3G+ Panel

WP_20150411_002_zpsrayjye9s.jpg

WP_20150411_004_zps1xngecsm.jpg

WP_20150411_003_zps2zei93st.jpg

WP_20150411_011_zpsl6rkdeo4.jpg

WP_20150411_009_zpsevbufmwp.jpg

WP_20150411_010_zpsz9dj26oe.jpg
Looks good.
I have an A6 splash screen if you are interested i`ll send it to you.

Reactions: Sotirov and B5NUT
Why need to replace the central electric module?

The pre facelift version gives an error about the J644 - Battery Regulation (#61) being missing (no comms communication error) So I fitted one from a facelift A6 and the error went away.

central electrics or convenience control module ?

Reactions: B5NUT
Yer it was the convenience control module, I've been replacing the central electrics module as I'm about to fit LED headlights think that's why I put it in post #165. Well spotted.

Looks seriously good Lee - have MMI envy......

A very interesting thread indeed. Keep up the great work B5NUT :)

I am now working on the MMI 2G to MMI 3G upgrade in my 2008 A6 Allroad. I am somewhat stuck on the CAN gateway. I have ACC and rear-view camera so the number of possible gateways is very limited. I didn't quite get why I need to stick to the old 26-pin gateway. Is there no way to get the cluster and the battery management to work with the newer 20-pin gateway?

Does anybody have a source for a 4L0 907 468 A or C gateways? Could I use the 4E0 907 468 H gateway in the A6?

Thanks for any help.

AJAX

The newer 20pin gateway is just not compatible with the old battery regulator, and if you fit the later gateway you will get an ESP light on the dash, with fault codes on the engine & gearbox ECU about no load signals, and as far as I know the A8 gateway will not work.

There is an option to send your gateway to kufatec, but your car will be immobilised while the gateway is away for firmware upgrade (about 2-3 weeks).

Please use classifieds for selling

Last edited by a moderator:
I can help with gateway firmware upgrade face and pre-face lift version to get them to work with mmi 3g and 3g+. No kufatec needed.
Also central electric module - bordnetz doesn't need to be replaced as firmware can be easily updated.
Anyone interested, pm me.

There seems to be a few information regarding mmi 3g+ retrofit, which needs to be straighten up. As johnny2202 spotted, there's no need to replace central electric module 09 or comfort - convenience 46 when upgrading to mmi 3g+. You replace central electric when want to install headlights with led drl - firmware update is better solution here. Convenience - comfort module has to be changed only when you want to do rear light conversion to led - face lift, again only in case of saloon version a6 4f.
As i posted earlier - post #157 the gateway plays mayor role in this upgrade when comes to communication with all can bus systems and battery charging.
I have modified software in unit from audi a8 4h0035670, everything works as should, even traffic online - thought that could be a problem since my car is pre face lift.
Not that difficult as it looks.

IMG 6417

As I said it was a typo, as I stated in #174. Pre facelift comfort module fitted to my A6 Avant (mine was a B revision from 2007) will give an error about the battery regulator, I know I had this problem when I fitted the later gateway, and removed the Battery Regulation module. Once the facelift comfort module was fitted the error went away. It could be some of the pre facelift modules could be compatible, but you will soon find out if you scan the comfort module for errors.

Also as you a probably aware If your converting A8 units the early hardware versions cannot be converted to run the Q7 software.

I'm 100% sure i don't have any problems or faults in my comfort module and i too have started with basic revision B of central electrics, when ugraded my headlights to rs6 xenons with drl. There was a simple fix to it - firmware update to revision N, that's all.

As for conversions of a8 units as long as you start with C, D revision you're good to go :)...

Just to clarify , comfort - 46 module in audi a6 4f, hope we're talking about the same thing onboard power supply or central electric - 09 module - that's the on ewith revision B or N.
Or could that be typo as well...

I'm talking about a B revision of the comfort module not central electrics.

I got no errors on the central electrics when I removed the Battery Regulation module.

Which one is it ?. Next to steering wheel column, under the glovebox or the one in the boot ?

Where is located that control module you were talking about earlier, the one which gave you faults?
Next to steering column, under the glovebox or in the boot??

It's in the boot on the C6, next to the central electrics.The part number that give errors after fitting the facelift battery electrics were 4F0907289G and 4F0907289B I fitted the B revision a while ago before I fitted the electric tailgate, as the G revision is not compatible with electric tailgate option, but I want to test that as well to see if I got the same error, and I did.

I don't think there's central electric in the boot as it seats next to steering column in a6 4f, both saloon and avant. Well, could be that your comfort module was faulty, as i haven't heard about that problem.I have retrofitted 3 cars with mmi 3g+ and after upgrading gateway, battery sensor and re-wire, there was no single fault code in regards to missing signals from battery regulator or voltage regulator. Thanks for info.

To clarify...

Module 09 - Central electrics, aka onboard supply, aka ILM Fahrer, sits under the dash, driver side, next to the steering column. It controls the headlights, fog lights, the steering column and the wipers with light/rain sensor.

Module 46 - Central convenience, aka comfort module, is located in the boot, right hand side - controls interior lighting, rear lamps, etc.

D5URU - are you saying changing the voltage regulator is not necessary for gateway upgrade to new 20-pin version?

AJAX

When upgrading to 20 pin gateway, voltage regulator or alternator needs to be replaced as well.
I sent you more details yesterday about it.
New bem which is incorporated in gateway since face lift uses different protocol ( lin bus ) compared to pre face lift version to communicate with voltage regulator.
No need to replace module 09 and 46.
Period!.

Sorry that was me causing the confusing about the confusion about the Central electrics module location, had way much to drink last night... God I feel rough today.

Well the only way to get rid of my fault code was to replace the comfort - 46 module with a facelift version and I've got 2 comfort modules that both gave the same error Period!.

I've been going through the last posts again and again trying to understand where the problem is and just realized something. When i have attempted mmi 3g+ retrofit a year ago, i've had already full rear end conversion to face lift completed. That means comfort module -46 has been already replaced to FL version in order to get rear led lights to work as per factory - a must in audi a6 saloon - completely different hardware and turns out software. Same with second car. That's why i've never had problems with comfort module fault regarding lack of load or communication. Sorry for causing a lot of confusion.
Anyway, seems like mmi 3g+ retrofit becomes harder and harder, specially for saloon model owners, as to do things properly seems like comfort module 46 also need to be replaced, what follows, full rear end conversion to FL.

No problem, I was wondering by reading your posts if my error could have been caused by my using a Q7 gateway, and I also checked every coding option and looked around to see if their were any firmware files for the 46 module but could not find any. I also found a few other people with the same error and they fixed it by fitting the FL 46 module.

Quick question, went you flash the Module 09 - Central electrics what files did you use, I have VCP and have files 4F0910279_S0190.sgo & 4F0910279_S0240.sgo are these the files you have used and if so did you flash 190 then 240 or just go straight to 240?

I have used file from their library 4F0910279GtoN.cry. Files you mentioned, i'm not sure but i think 240 is rev.K

Cool, glad we finally resolved that comfort module problem!
Cheerio.

Still not had time to do the write-up for the 3GP setup, as I've already started the next project.

These two boxes turned up today, and was a little surprised how big they were seeing what was inside them!
WP_20150505_001_zpsazj6i2le.jpg

Facelift LED headlights. Been looking around for these on ebay for sometime, but decided to get new units. I got them from ECP they are genuine HELLA unit's which are the same as the Audi ones (Just missing the sticker) and where over £800 cheaper than Audi prices. They don't come with ballast, bulbs or the harness between the ballast & xenon bulb.

WP_20150505_015_zpsoh8rlhba.jpg

Next I need to get the headlight protection on for which I use this stuff. http://www.3mventureshield.co.uk/paint-protection-film/

I've also got a used facelift front bumper which has just been sprayed, new washer jets, fl crash bar and intercooler air vents, so it's looking to be a busy weekend.

Last edited: