My A6 3.0TDi Avant bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

It also saves having to remove component protect from the gateway and all the other modules that will go into CP when you installed a used gateway from another car.

CP and coding for me is not a problem, because I'm working in audi dealer.

Not much update on the thread even though I've done a fair amount to the car, projects ongoing but not fully completed.

Over the weekend manged to complete one of the retrofit a facelift cluster, as I needed this for my on going MMI 3G+ installation. so another quick write up

Old cluster and dash trim
WP_20150116_003_zpsf23e8486.jpg

To get the cluster & trim planel off you start by removing the following trim

Fist I removed the drivers side air vent, there are two clips at the bottom and two at the top, the image below just shows the two tools pushing up the bottom clips.
WP_20140525_005_zpsdad5b01c.jpg

There is also a electrical connection for the light on the air vent which is located at the bottom of the vent.
WP_20150116_005_zps6687508c.jpg

Next is to remove the light switch, with the air vent removed you can get your fingers behind and push the switch out, and unplug the switch
WP_20150116_006_zps9377c9bd.jpg

The dash switches were the next to be removed, this is done by pulling away the small bit of trim between the buttons
WP_20140525_001_zps80c51a21.jpg

once removed you pull the switches out, and unclip the connections
WP_20150116_004_zps133ff24f.jpg

Next it to remove the center console air vent & switches.
There are 2 clips that hold the air vent in on the left hand side, just a little further back where the hook tool is to pull the air vent out.
WP_20140525_002_zpsb33a0905.jpg

There is a further clip near where the key goes, just pull the vent forward to unclip. You don't need to unplug any of the connectors, just leave it near the

gear stick.
WP_20140525_003_zps57a9e2dc.jpg

At this point pull the steering wheel forward as far as it will go and as low as possible and lock in place

Remove the two screws either side of the steering wheel and pull the trim downwards
WP_20150116_008_zpsb9886c7e.jpg

Remove the remaing screws.
WP_20150116_010_zpsb8ec6804.jpg

WP_20150116_006_zps9377c9bd.jpg

Tilt the panel and unplug the connector going to the instrument cluster, and the screen.
WP_20140530_001_zps99dd0085.jpg

WP_20150116_012_zps81757c2f.jpg

at this point remove the screws holding the cluster in place best use a 5.5m socket, as I was also fitting the sliver trim panel, I also removed the screen.

Before fitting the cluster back, you need to modify the connector for the instrument cluster, as it's in a different location on the facelift, you just need to cut off the section of plastic shown in the picture so the cable lays flat, otherwise the cluster won't fit back, it will foul on the back of the center console.
1J0972977H_zps414f9293.jpg

The cluster I purchased was for a TDi with part number 4F0920983G. For the A6 C6 there are only 2 TDI FL clusters avalible, they are not engine size or model specific, they don't have any imobliser information, or information about coded keys.
pn_zps56d575be.jpg

resemble everything back and switch on the ignition. At this point the cluster goes into component protection and the message safe will come up, and you get all the lights on the picture below appear and they won't go away until CP is removed.
WP_20150117_001_zpse27b13a5.jpg

A this point the only thing that works is the speedo, everything else is disabled, no cluster lights, no fuel guage, no temp gauge and no warning on the DIS, so make sure everything on the car is fine and you have enough fuel to get to the dealer to have CP removed.

Once CP is removed the final job is to get some who can peform mileage correction, I've just purchased a tool to do this as I could not find anyone in the north

east to do the job. I'm not going into how this is done.

Job is now done, have to say I do like the new features of the facelift cluster, needle sweep, higher resolution display, Speedo in the DIS, laptimer (not sure how useful that will be) and the updated look of the cluster.
WP_20150117_010_zps35203e61.jpg

WP_20150117_011_zpsac785f77.jpg

WP_20150117_012_zps2d5fcdd7.jpg

WP_20150117_013_zps6c15d3c4.jpg

Forgot to add if you have the old gray instrument cluster trim, you need new trims for the switches part number is 4F0998511A, as you can see on the last photo mine are missing and will order on Monday

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyC, ScottD3, rawtor51 and 1 other person
Brilliant as ever mate - will be studying this meticulously when I come to change my screen and Nav unit.

I see you got the silver trim. Did you manage to get one cheap or did you have to buy one new?

Do you get anything else on the display from the having 3G+?

Depending on which module you buy you can get google maps and traffic, you get 7 digit post code, wifi audio streaming, inbuilt BT audio streaming, play video from SD card and album art.

Howdy chap looks good, didnt realise you were going to the 3g+ stage.

Got board with 3G so decided to take the plunge, as my car is a pre-facelift it was a little more complicated than I figured but I'm getting there. Once I've got everything working I'll do a complete write-up.

As you have a Q7 the only extra module you may have to change is the can-gateway, as you need one that is 3G+ compatible, my A6 is now running a Q7 can-gateway!

Well i know where to pop to for some advice.
If you ever need a hand don't forget i'm not that far away and now have plenty of access to my father in laws lift.

Cheers for the offer, thankfully it's all wiring and module related, biggest problem was related to get component protect removed, had to wait for a friend who works at a dealership to remove it. As the local dealers are not great at removing cp from retrofitted parts!

I think you should go to work in AUDI factory make repair manuals for ELSA... :)

Reactions: r15wne
Just spent an hour reading here, and like others I don't have an A6 haha.

I've the A5 from 08, think it's the 2G with SatNav, not sure if I would go to the same lengths you have, mine has the B&O system and would love DAB and TV since I practically live in the car....

DAB is easy enough, TV for the A5 would not be worth it on the 2G setup, as you would need a new control head, you may as well go 3G at that point.

Reactions: Dub2Dub
So today's job, replace the thermostat, water pump, tensioner and v-belt

New belt fitted, make sure the belt is seated on all the pulleys, its also better to start with the lower pulley there is very little room to get the belt between the front engine mount and pulley.
WP_20140322_011_zps2af10ec9.jpg

In your opinion, is it possible to change this belt without removing the radiator ?

I never removed the radiator, the coolant pipes for the gearbox go into the rad so removal was not an option. You just need to put the slam panel into the service position. I also removed the coolant hoses to give a bit more room but you could do the job without doing that, but it would be impossible to do the job without moving the slam panel forward.

Reactions: RoyC
I never removed the radiator, the coolant pipes for the gearbox go into the rad so removal was not an option. You just need to put the slam panel into the service position. I also removed the coolant hoses to give a bit more room but you could do the job without doing that, but it would be impossible to do the job without moving the slam panel forward.
It is not very hard to replace the belt without moving front in service position. :)

Is that working from under the car, as from above there is no room, wish I has easy access to ramps:(

It is not very hard to replace the belt without moving front in service position. :)

Is that the ancillaries belt on the V6 engine ? I have looked from underneath and can barely get my hand in there.

What is the service position ?

Hi i'm new to here. I can see you've installed Bose amplifier from newer model. How did you go around extra cables for front tweeters and extra three microphones which are not present in our models?.
Regards.

I fitted a single front microphone and ignored the other 2, the door tweeters rewired. As I also had the standard sound system in my car I had to fit the front centre speaker.

That probably leaves you with constant fault from microphones?.What about subwoofer?.
I can see you're in the process of retrofitting mmi 3g+. I got that working on my car, but had to replace gateway, alternator and battery sensor. Some rewiring required as well. Couldn't get it to work with old 26 pin gateway.
Cheers.

There are no fault codes relating to the microphone, the only fault I get is the base speaker which I need to fit.

already fitted a new gateway, regulator and battery sensor, bit of a shame my existing 3G gateway did not work, but I needed a new regulator as the bushes on the old ones were just about worn out.

B5NUT Great job that you've done
I registered in the forum after seen this brave risk
but I have one inquiry about CP how did you remove it from used parts
to be informed, recently I installed a MMI plus on my Audi A6 4G 2014 every thing works well unless the sound and radio
after, I got a report by VCDS I noted the following ...

Code:
Address 56: Radio (R)       Labels: Redir Fail!
   Part No SW: 4G1 035 053 C    HW: 4G1 035 053
   Component: Radio U Basic H41 V575 
   Coding: 080003010000000001
   Shop #: WSC 02394 128 41624
   VCID: 1F4652C30EEF6DD9761-804A

1 Fault Found:
02095 - Component Protection Active
            000 -  -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 123
                    Mileage: 40099 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2015.01.30
                    Time: 10:39:21

but I don't know how to remove CP from Radio amp

You need to got to an Audi dealer to have component protect removed, I know someone who works for Audi dealer so get it done free, but I think you are looking around £60-80 for removal.

You need to got to an Audi dealer to have component protect removed, I know someone who works for Audi dealer so get it done free, but I think you are looking around £60-80 for removal.

thanks, but I'd like to ask how did you install BOSE system. did you need any additional wiring at that time ?
even KUFATEC navigation cabe comes specifically for 9VD or 8RF sound system. If I already chosen a 9VD (which with no BOSE system) how can I upgrade to BOSE system.

I made my own wiring harness adapter to convert non-bose to Bose, and also had to make up new harness for the extra speakers that I need to install (Center speaker, microphone, base speaker)

You need to buy a copy of elsawin from ebay, that will give you all the wiring diagrams and pinouts you need to complete the job.

Hi, good to know there's no faults related to microphones, i'm thinking about changing bose amp - at the moment i have the one dedicated for face lift mmi 3g. It was runing just fine without any faults with retrofited mmi 3g high, but after upgrading to mmi 3g+ i have this fault "funcionality limited due to missing messages". Not possible to get rid of it.
One more thing have you noticed any difference in the way how the battery is charged after replacing the gateway?
Is your battery state of charge aroun 90 -100% or lower?
Cheers,

I did not bother enabling the battery status meter, after reading up on the forums most 3gp retrofits there were incorrect readings, and to be fair it was rubbish in the 2G setup and the 3G was not much better

Yes you're right about battery meter, it doesn't work with mmi 3g+, i was talking about mwb 18,19,20 in gateway

I've not looked to be fair, I'm not getting any error codes. Will take a look tomorrow morning.

One thing to note is if the accuracy on the MMI was rubbish, then I cannot see the gateway being much better.

Since the face lift battery energy manager has been incorporated into gateway. It communicates with battery sensor and alternator through lin bus. That's why our "old" alternators wouldn't communicate properly with bem. In that case it is really accurate and shows the condition of the battery, also coding of new battery is now performed in gateway adaptation channel. The battery manager decides if the alternator should charge the battery or not based on the readings received from battery sensor which measures voltage , temperature and capacity of the battery.
Our cars and q7 i think were the first step towards so called audi energy recuperation.
Cheers.

Reactions: RoyC
I know on my Q7 that it has some smart stuff like that for example the alternator and most belt driven stuff can disconnect its self and the bumf does say about recouperation but its only a 3g high mmi

Recuperation When a vehicle brakes, the discs convert the kinetic energy into thermal energy, which is wasted as it cannot be used. With a recuperation system like the one in the Audi Q7, the kinetic energy is converted into useful electrical energy. The way it works is simple. While the car is coasting or braking, the alternator voltage is raised above the level of the basic electrical system, which enables the alternator to generate electrical energy and store it temporarily in the battery. When the vehicle accelerates, this energy is used to relieve the load on the alternator, resulting in a fuel saving of up to 3%.

Thats straight from the brochure

Last edited:
Hi, you're right about that. It has been introduced with audi a6 and q7 face lift, probably a6 allroad and rs6, when mmi 3g kicked in and gateway took over the role of battery manager. Since my car is pre face lift i had to retrofit all that stuff same as B5NUT, but since then - it's been one year already- the battery charge oscillates in region of 75 - 80% state of charge. At the beginning i thought my original battery is about to die, so replaced it with brand new genuine and coded to the car to pretty much same effect. When driving can't see in real live data any bursts of energy when braking or coasting, pretty much same value. Maybe beacuse my car is pre face lift, the bem is missing some vital signal from the system when braking or coasting.

Absolutely insane thread. Well done. Chaging doorlocks, thermostat, Adding a Dension Ipod/USB and changing CVT fluid is the height of my A6 achievements, makes me feel like petrol pump attendant. Whats left for you to do, Convenience electrics with auto start? Do you know if I can enable and get the battery monitor on my MMI basic display (07 A6). Something about a hidden menu.