My A5 Small improvements

Out of interest is the 2.0 S tronic petrol better than the 2.0 s tronic diesel ... is the fuel economy that much different in the real world but does the car pick up faster, sound better I am assuming also?

Thanks

Yes S logo on front seats and sound quality is very good.

Out of interest is the 2.0 S tronic petrol better than the 2.0 s tronic diesel ... is the fuel economy that much different in the real world but does the car pick up faster, sound better I am assuming also?

Important point: very minimal motorway / long distance driving, mostly inner city.

Thanks

Think petrol cars are better for city driving, also sound better, but I do some long journeys to Southern Europe so diesel is better for me £30 road tax is also good, performance For me is fantastic too I drive on the autobahn’s regularly and have never felt underpowered.

Think petrol cars are better for city driving, also sound better, but I do some long journeys to Southern Europe so diesel is better for me £30 road tax is also good, performance For me is fantastic too I drive on the autobahn’s regularly and have never felt underpowered.

I have the S5 and love the fact I have moved from diesel to petrol, the 3.0 tdi A7 was nice but no comparison to the S5

Did you manage to get the plug for the memory switch button?
I wonder if I should order the switch from Audi now along with the trim.

Did you manage to get the plug for the memory switch button?
I wonder if I should order the switch from Audi now along with the trim.
Yes mate, let me pm you all the bits I ordered.

On the motorway the difference between modern turbo charged direct injection petrol engines to diesels is minimal to non-existent. Having driven them all even a 1.4 a3 was a match for my mk4 mondeo 2.0l dieseland the audi was far more refined and quieter.
I also only pay £30 in yearly road tax with my current A4....

Last edited:

Important point: very minimal motorway / long distance driving, mostly inner city.

Thanks

Fuel economy wise I drive the 2.0 TFSI the last decent motorway run I did was when I first got it and it did 55mpg between Somerset and Leeds - I was highly impressed as it wasn’t a million miles away from the 1.6 diesel focus I came from. Day to day around a very busy city I tend to get somewhere between 35-40mpg out of it - even in the early hours when I can put my foot down a little more it still manages low 30s.

It definitely has the performance available just I find the auto gearbox a little sluggish in comfort/eco it seems to take a second or 2 to have a good think about wether you really want to accelerate (especially from a stand still) and then finally does it - it can be quite unnerving until you’re used to it and I guess it would be the same on the diesel as the gearbox will be the same.

Fuel economy wise I drive the 2.0 TFSI the last decent motorway run I did was when I first got it and it did 55mpg between Somerset and Leeds - I was highly impressed as it wasn’t a million miles away from the 1.6 diesel focus I came from. Day to day around a very busy city I tend to get somewhere between 35-40mpg out of it - even in the early hours when I can put my foot down a little more it still manages low 30s.

It definitely has the performance available just I find the auto gearbox a little sluggish in comfort/eco it seems to take a second or 2 to have a good think about wether you really want to accelerate (especially from a stand still) and then finally does it - it can be quite unnerving until you’re used to it and I guess it would be the same on the diesel as the gearbox will be the same.

Many thanks for your insight - I opted for the 2.0 Petrol S Tronic yesterday, good to know that it definitely has “the performance available” - do you still feel that slight lag from a stand still in say the sport / Audi dynamic I’m assuming option?

Many thanks for your insight - I opted for the 2.0 Petrol S Tronic yesterday, good to know that it definitely has “the performance available” - do you still feel that slight lag from a stand still in say the sport / Audi dynamic I’m assuming option?

It definitely improves in sport/dynamic as it seems to sit at least one gear lower than the other modes most of the time. I tend to drive it in comfort as it seems to react better than eco (though still slow) with no visible loss of fuel economy then I knock the gear lever back to engage sport if I want to overtake or accelerate hard - this also works to an extent from a standstill though it’s still not perfect.

Other than that minor niggle it’s a beautiful car that drives well in the majority of situations - the only things I would add to my order should I get another (which I’m seriously considering) next time would be Quattro and a pano roof.

It definitely improves in sport/dynamic as it seems to sit at least one gear lower than the other modes most of the time. I tend to drive it in comfort as it seems to react better than eco (though still slow) with no visible loss of fuel economy then I knock the gear lever back to engage sport if I want to overtake or accelerate hard - this also works to an extent from a standstill though it’s still not perfect.

Other than that minor niggle it’s a beautiful car that drives well in the majority of situations - the only things I would add to my order should I get another (which I’m seriously considering) next time would be Quattro and a pano roof.

Thank you, I’m sure it’s nippier than my Lexus IS 300H - for which has a CVT gear box and hybrid - brochure reads 8.4s 0-60 and this petrol being 7.3s with all the comforts of Audi interiors - best in class it seems, in terms of materials used and tech.

I removed the passenger lower trim and glovebox RHD car, I may be wrong but I think module J519 is still located in the same place on lHD cars, so that would be down on the drivers side.
I did disconnect the battery, when you get to J519 you will see the unit is labelled A&B not the plugs, I had no diagram just had to work it out from the tiny numbers on each wire.

Once you get to each 73 pin plug you need to release the tabs, slide the top cover off to reveal the pins, if you look closely on each inner plug it’s numbered at each end, you then need to count in to get to your pin locations.
A17 and B31 will be empty but A32 will already have a wire connection as it’s the main output for cabin lighting, this is the wire you need to splice/tap, the same circuit is available on the electric handbrake connector pin5 think its gray/blue wire. I connected mine at plug A.

This is a pic I found of unit J19

Hi Dave,

Did you need to remove any of the centre console trim to install the switch. Its annoying they don't provide instructions with it!

Cheers, Andy

On the motorway the difference between modern turbo charged direct injection petrol engines to diesels is minimal to non-existent. Having driven them all even a 1.4 a3 was a match for my mk4 mondeo 2.0l dieseland the audi was far more refined and quieter.
I also only pay £30 in yearly road tax with my current A4....

Taxes and Death, we know the saying!!!!

Unfortunately my S5 was over £40K list at new and is less than a year old so emissions make no difference at all tax wise for anything newish unless 100 electric and even then if the list value is over £40K you still get stung :(

Reactions: cuke2u
As you know I fitted folding mirrors to my car then coded to auto fold when you lock.
I have found that I don’t always want them to fold so you untick the box in MMI but then tick again to activate.
It’s a pain in the a$$ but I found this coding that overcomes this
3BF09018 6060 4CFD A557 66B90C4A736A
Now when I lock doors no mirror fold unless I press again or longer hold then they fold, happy now with how the work.

This was done with OBDeleven

Last edited:
Reactions: rasA4 and RJ-8V
Probably not very common on A5/S5 but for me it was a must, Towbar and electrics,.
Had the dealer fit me one before I picked up the car but after towing I noticed it wasn’t that integrated, on further investigation I found why!!
The dreaded bypass relay☹️
Very badly fit with a couple of wrong connections made then taped up.
So I decided to buy the official Audi towbar electrics, but found out they are made for Audi by Westfalia for a fraction of the price.
Fitting is plug and play apart from 2 x canbus wires 2 x brake/battery then 4 wires to fuse box.
Very factory.....

Last edited:
2D410DDF 976D 4E07 A8C0 270FEF579B1C
This is Audi’s attempt.........

Last edited:
6DD464AC 94BD 496B A256 D7C0FA1CA877

Then you have to code it to your car, and nobody has a clear answer as every car has diferent options and equipment.
But after a lot of searching and help from a member on here I got it all working using OBDeleven.

Last edited:
Before I got annoying beep when using indicators now it shows icon for trailer.
F23257E6 D487 423A A398 541DBC6921F4

F013BC21 9227 4BDA 8AB2 720B2A90F95C
And if you have any bulbs out on your trailer it tells you in dash.

45E1EC41 6752 41BA A2D3 4258CCBC071D
Also side assist is now disabled as it picks up trailer.

Drive mode, it is not recommended to tow in efficiency mode, once plugged in this is disabled along with stop/go
07B5DE83 1CBA 4D9E 8692 AD01BC97A426

59B94B03 3C9A 48ED 9070 A9653A79C54D
Rear parking sensors disabled along with guid lines on rear camera.

4AE2C3E6 DEEF 43F2 8037 0D52BB2A9265
Traffic sign recognition can now be activated to show correct towing speeds, so when limit is 60 mph it will show 50 mph.

A7F4C4C8 C48A 4364 858C 3591AF896B0B
Navigation will now calculate route for towing avoiding some roads and adjusting arrival time

481DB4F5 B9A8 418F AD97 4330257EA10F

And if you have the factory tow bar it will also tell you if it’s folded out correctly.

Last edited:
Electrics kit i used https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a5-b9-13-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Fitting instructions https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_fitting/305437300113.pdf

And finally coding......Thanks to
kip1986

These are the changes using obdeleven:

First, Activate the trailer control unit: On the page of installed control
units, click on the red button in the bottom right and scroll down and check 69
- Trailer. This control unit will now appear on your main list.

Second, you need to activate some of the options within the other control units.
NB. Depending on your car’s specifications you may not have some/all of
the options. For the control units you don’t have listed, you can ignore the
coding change.
Please take installed/coded/yes as interchangeable.

09 - central electrics (security code 31347)
Long coding: hitch_ecu - change to
installed

46 - Central module comfort system
trailer monitoring – change to active
trailer control unit – change to installed

3C - Lane Change Assist
ECU for draw bar – change to with ECU for draw bar
Or
Trailer control unit – change to installed

17 - Dashboard
Trailer – change to yes

6C - reverse camera system
equipment_ahk/trailer detection – change to installed

74 - chassis control system
Trailer – change to installed

10 or 76 - PDC controller
Trailer – change to trailer device can be removed manually

13 - controller distance control (security code 20103)
Control module for towing sens/Control module for trailer – change to installed

A5 - front sensors driver assistance system
AAG/Trailer electrics – change to coded

6D - boot lid electronics controller
Trailer/controller for trailer – change to installed

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ-8V
Electrics kit i used https://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-a5-b9-13-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit.html

Fitting instructions https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_fitting/305437300113.pdf

And finally coding......Thanks to
kip1986

These are the changes using obdeleven:

First, Activate the trailer control unit: On the page of installed control
units, click on the red button in the bottom right and scroll down and check 69
- Trailer. This control unit will now appear on your main list.

Second, you need to activate some of the options within the other control units.
NB. Depending on your car’s specifications you may not have some/all of
the options. For the control units you don’t have listed, you can ignore the
coding change.
Please take installed/coded/yes as interchangeable.

09 - central electrics (security code 31347)
Long coding: hitch_ecu - change to
installed

46 - Central module comfort system
trailer monitoring – change to active
trailer control unit – change to installed

3C - Lane Change Assist
ECU for draw bar – change to with ECU for draw bar
Or
Trailer control unit – change to installed

17 - Dashboard
Trailer – change to yes

6C - reverse camera system
equipment_ahk/trailer detection – change to installed

74 - chassis control system
Trailer – change to installed

10 or 76 - PDC controller
Trailer – change to trailer device can be removed manually

13 - controller distance control (security code 20103)
Control module for towing sens/Control module for trailer – change to installed

A5 - front sensors driver assistance system
AAG/Trailer electrics – change to coded

6D - boot lid electronics controller
Trailer/controller for trailer – change to installed

You forgot module 01 byte 13 bit 4

The engine also needs to know if there is a towing module installed.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Thank you for the info, I did question why there’s no engine coding but was told by my Audi dealer and there towbar fitter “B9’s don’t need coding for engine and gearbox”
But that’s probably the most important part that benefits from coding.

Thank you for the info, I did question why there’s no engine coding but was told by my Audi dealer and there towbar fitter “B9’s don’t need coding for engine and gearbox”
But that’s probably the most important part that benefits from coding.
Lol dealers.....

Gearbox is correct but engine and ABS needs to be coded!

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Good job your on the ball
Not done any coding in 03 Brakes, is that taken care of with engine coding or is there o3 changes too?

Good job your on the ball
Not done any coding in 03 Brakes, is that taken care of with engine coding or is there o3 changes too?
I don't know the abs coding out of my head for the B9. Have to check my files.

But code the engine for trailer assist (first check if the byte / bit) is correct for your enginemodel.

I will let you know if i find the abs coding.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Your a star
my engine is 4 cylinder 2.0 TDI 190 PS CR. S-Tronic gearbox

Your a star
my engine is 4 cylinder 2.0 TDI 190 PS CR. S-Tronic gearbox
The engine coding is documented, so check your coding labels.

Sent you a pm

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

I’m probably inpatient and can’t wait for another hour till sunset haha but does the inside background lighting as Audi refers to only come on at night (as is expected) and all S Line trims have st minimum the white LED colours - I see them on in the drinks holders just not everywhere else

Btw - car is incredible! A5 Black, 190 2.0 TFSI (double separate exhausts at rear) S Line pack

I’m probably inpatient and can’t wait for another hour till sunset haha but does the inside background lighting as Audi refers to only come on at night (as is expected) and all S Line trims have st minimum the white LED colours - I see them on in the drinks holders just not everywhere else

Btw - car is incredible! A5 Black, 190 2.0 TFSI (double separate exhausts at rear) S Line pack
You can set them in your mmi. Go to background lighting menu, select it and then press the right "select" button (next to your mmi knob)

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

As RJ-8V says you can adjust brightness of each section individually, doors footwells and centre console in MMI and yes they only come on when outside light fades enough.
Mine only has white lighting but on multicoloured you can change it to your choice.