My A5 just received 23CY software update

trixxiee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My 2017 A5 2.0 TDI received the famous 23CY software engine update. The update was done without my consent during the standard service.
I cannot find anything what consequences it has apart from that it can lead to a serious engine failure. Audi says they cannot downgrade it...

Did anyone of you have a similar experience? Should I be afraid?

Cheers

Hi guys,

My 2017 A5 2.0 TDI received the famous 23CY software engine update. The update was done without my consent during the standard service.
I cannot find anything what consequences it has apart from that it can lead to a serious engine failure. Audi says they cannot downgrade it...

Did anyone of you have a similar experience? Should I be afraid?

Cheers

where did you read about the engine failure?

Reactions: trixxiee
Here (unfortunately only in German):

As I'm based in Switzerland I got in touch with the garage again, directed them to the article and this is what I got:
The action is not a voluntary but a software change imposed by the manufacturer to comply with the emission values specified by the legislator.
This must be carried out, otherwise, the vehicle does not comply with the registration requirements worldwide, the affected vehicles have been successfully retrofitted and if damage can be proven to have been caused by the modification, the manufacturer can be contacted. the removal of the software is not possible for us and also not permissible I hope to have helped you so far.
I bet there is no chance any damage could be proven...

Does anyone actually know what this update does ? Mines due service and although I’ve rejected if it doesn’t do much or doesn’t actually increase the risk of damage then i may go for it

That link says nothing about possible engine damage, it just mentioned that on previous engine generation after similar software update some owners noticed increased fuel and adblue consumption and it theorized that any possible negative consequences (eng failure?) would only make themselves known after many years
Do you have any sources for engine damage after this update?

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

My old 2.0t a5 had an update at Audi (like you, I was not offered it, just told it had been done) and then since the car felt like it had lost 40hp. Was nippy enough before and then just lost all its character hence the switch to S3.