My A4 (2013) 3.0 TDi Black Edition (204ps) - Tyres, pressures, alignment ....

steve.askew

Reaction score
Hi All, i'm new to the forum, but not new to Audi's between the Mrs and me we are on our 6th, between us. Both had A4 2.0 tdi's S Lines 143ps, handled like a dream! felt good, Mrs still has her 143ps Avavnt 58 plate on 90K now loves it, has Goodyear EfficientGrip Performace's on now all round, seem very good, a little soft for my liking but, as only does 8K a year now, super grippy and seem ample. she is happy i am.

I use to run Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on mine as a little harder, as a dell server enginer by trade, i do 20 - 25 K a year and have served me well in the past.

My car was due in march to swap in march, long story, i take the money and buy hat i want, and who wouldn't? a compant Astra Estate eco diesel or an Audi A4, not a tuff call eh

Anyway, it took me ages to find the one i wanted, i can be a bit picky maybe, but then i saw this one..

13 plate Audi ex demo
4 door saloon
6250 on the clock
Black edition, with Nav and B&O
8 Speed auto also
and the 3 litre 204ps one, the option i though best for mileage i do tyre wear.

Anyway, was ok to start with, but never quite happy with the total feel of it, had Continental Sport Contact 3's on all round. never been a fan, but they seemed ok, ish. but i did notice that as an ex demo, it had never really had a good run and the front tyres were at 2mm at 6K so... opted to get some Uniroyal Rainsport 3's as seem to be a great option, as these are 255 / 35 /r19's

These are now on the back and i am burning off the conti's that were the backs, now the fronts.

And here lies my problem, since this, driving the car under 60 is fine, drive it with a little enthusiasm and all i say it hold the wheel with both hands, it feels like it is trying to fight you, half like it is tram lining, and slight move and it will have you off the rd. a bit hard to describe really

I have 3 wonders here, what tyre pressures should the fronts be? Door says 42 normal load. Maybe the alignment is a tad out, unlikely as feels ok if i drive Miss Daisy. FInally the COnti's are just NAff!

So any thoughts welcome what pressures should i be running front and rear? should i didtch the Conti's and get ...........?

Worth while getting it laser aligned just be be sure?

Dont get me wrong, i really like this car, and if i can get this running right, i'm after a nice remap as another reason for getting the lower bhp 3 litre as they remap very nicely. I fitted a K&N Cone filter within the first month and made a good differnace actually felt a bit free'r . i also had all 4 wheels off, cleaned, panel wiped and then Gtechniq C5 wheel Armoured to try to protect those Lovely 19" alloys a bit. seems to work actually.

So anyone any ideas thoughts? as it's driving me nuts and the Mrs borrowed it this week and said get that fixed as it doesnt feel like mine, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
I'm sure that door card is wrong, mine says the same, everyone says the door card is gospel but I've done loads of research and my own experiments too and now run 36F - 33R on my OEM 19's. I guess we try it at our own individual risk?

The kicker is, all the tyre manufacturers recommed values close to what I'm running, better tracking and way better comfort, tyres are wearing ok too, BTW I'm not running fully laden.

I run higher pressures (42F-36R) on my 18" winter set, but that's what the tyre maker recommends.

Also, make sure your car has had the steering update "I think" its 48K4

Last edited:
Thanks, I have wondered about the door card info was gospel or not, are you running the same 3 litre lump too? Those are what I had for my 2 litre on 18"s according to the door, and not a problem.

As per the steering update not a clue, how can I check? Phone up Audi on Monday and ask? But as it's not had it's first service yet, I'll guess not:sob:

Is there a list of updates I should be checking somewhere to make sure it is fully up to date?

Been and checked my pressures this am, they were on 38. Continental web site says 2.5 bar and 2.2 bar, so this suggests 36F and 32R. I will be washing the car shortly and giving it a full R222 Carnauba wax, so will drop the pressures to 36 and 32. Run it this week and see if I can see any difference. I will also be getting in contact with Audi on Monday about the steering update definitely too. Results to follow shortly I hope ....

I'm just guessing a bit here, but there is a section in the service docs for "workshop actions" or something like that, my car had its "update" recorded there, maybe it was just a general section and the entry was "workshop action *****" - this is on a B8 and was covering something entirely different, though the car was privately owned from new, could be Audi dealers are being a bit sloppy about recording this sort of stuff on dealer owned cars.

Edit:- changed "this was on a B5" to "this was on a B8" - a mistake!

Last edited:
Well, here's the thing it's an Audi ex demo so not had it's first service yet, and the actual service book was missing, so I have a replacement. But I have a good contact at Audi close to me so I will bend his ear off on Monday, as they seem to be nice to me but probably as I have 2 A4's so may e they just see the £ signs :hubbahubba:

Another point about that update, mine was supposed to have had it done from initial registration, they even double checked the car but after some more complaining by me they re-flashed it again and it made a world of difference.

Steering is not what I would say is perfect, it's still a bit too sensitive at "legal" motorway speeds but my car seems no worse than any other Audi with electric steering now. It was VERY difficult to keep it in lane at proper high speeds, it's not a problem now.

That's sounds like it, keeping it straight and in a lane on the motorway, bingo. Ok so plan on Monday is get it in for the update what's the actual update I'm after ? Just so I can explain exactly what I need etc

Something like "Campaign 48K8" or "48K4", it covers most of the range since early/mid 2013. If they say its been done sir, get them to do it agian.

Do bear in-mind it will steel feel strange because its electric, but you kinda get used to it.

Brilliant many thanks indeed. None of the other Audi I have have on loan have been like this though, they seem to steer ok be it 13 and 14 plates so I am hoping this is going to be a miracle fix, but the worrying thing is I noticed it more when I swapped the rear tyres to the front, so am half worried it's not going to be a perfect fix :sob:

Dropped fronts to 36 and went to shops for a test flight, seems ok actually but the real test is the motorway so that's Monday Am run to work 33 miles, it will be a good enough test. Another thought is the Tyres themselves, conti's never been a great fan in truth, what do you run?

ok, spoken to my nice Audi man, i am booked for 8am tomorrow am for the update, he said he has looked it up and says it has been done, but will get in it, re-apply it, check it out and see what is the issue. have told him don't be afraid to drive it, and see, said worst on motorway so lets see what tomorrow brings :icon_thumright:

For ref, mine is still a bit reluctant to go straight for very long without a very minor corrections, this is between 55 & 85mph. Above is ok, it was not before, it just got worse the faster you got.

Audi still need to de-sensitise the steering in the range mentioned above, but I would not count on it. I have compaired otherNew Audi cars and they all the same, some even worse. Audi should get thier act together, there's plenty of people complaining about Audi's Electric streering or BMW may take sales away, especially as they do 4x4 now

agree about the BMW X Drive i would have got a 5 series estate but wasn't out when i opted to keep the faith, and too new for the money i was after a good ex demo discount, to which i have. So long as they can fix this i'll be well happy :sob:

Contis will tramline it's common knowledge that different tyres have different chararistics.

agree about the BMW X Drive i would have got a 5 series estate but wasn't out when i opted to keep the faith, and too new for the money i was after a good ex demo discount, to which i have. So long as they can fix this i'll be well happy :sob:
They don't do a 5 series xdrive, only in 3 series ATM.

It appears I may have Been wrong indeed and been looking at a 3 not a 5, but also found this...
Despite the addition of BMW’s four-wheel-drive xDrive system to many 5-series models in mainland Europe, no xDrive-equipped 5-series models are planned for the UK. However, BMW has introduced xDrive to the UK by adding it to the 335d saloon.

That being said, I can't move to a BMW I'm sure I can get this steering thing sorted. It did feel a bit better today actually running 36 at the front, but it is in all day tomorrow at Audi as under warranty to be fully checked out, fingers crossed and I'm praying

ok, so here it is dropped it 8am at Audi, explained again in full detail my issue, also explained it isnt tyre pressures as i have been playing around to try to sort this out. must admitt again this am was ok, flippin typical eh! so i said try it etc. They said was ok this am and then this afternoon was all over the shop, got it in workshop, long story short, needs a new steering rack! and is still in as it is too dangerous to give it me back!. So, this is the worry, i was sold it like this, not by this dealer but same chain, so a massive stern letter is getting written next, as they have put my whole family in danger, including my 2 year boy, not happy! would anyone be?
On a positive not i have a 63 plate 2.0 TFSI black edition saloon auto on loan until it is fixed. And it drives like i would expect a car to drive, not like my A4 is / was.
So, if anyone else is having these issues may i suggest u get yours checked too? as saftey is the main concern here, mine is only a 13 plate with 11K on now, i bought it less than 4 months ago with 6K on, anyway heads up people

Ah well, looks like a result - soon, though remember to carry a 5 litre tin of engine oil with you while you have the use of the 2.0TFSI - oh sorry, I'll get my coat!

Don't worry, it came with the 1 litre bottle in the boot, i checked it this am, and it's only used 1/8 of the gauge when i tested it against my might 3 litre, and the drive to work this am :aggressive: it's not bad, but the mpg is shocking, think i averaged 27, same drive in mine would have been 40 to 42 and by the book this is only 0.7 seconds faster than mine, so nothing in it really

Just an update, i haven't gone quiet, I'm still waiting for my car car to come back, today is day 7! eek I'm glad this is a warranty job, as the bill would kill me. There again the mpg on this 2.0 TFSI is killing me too, but that's a story for another tread. I'm told it should be ready this evening, so I'll let you all know the outcome when i finally get it back

Update - my car is ready Finally yipee, mobile fuel tanker cancelled now as Dirty Diesel is coming :rockwoot:
So let me test it tonight and tomorrow and see if i am still alive

ok, so i am still alive, and car seems better, but is still isnt great, Stealers said bring it back again, i'm due a service in 3K so might just combine it into 1, as i can actually drive it now, and 1 handed on the motorway now, under 70mph :thumbsup: but if you drive it like you stole it, it's still not great, and now the TC is having a field day, sometimes even on a slow corner, BANG! it cuts the power then resumes and i can see the light on the dash. I'm still thinking it is the Conti Contact 3's but not this TC issue anyone an ideas?

ok, so i am still alive, and car seems better, but is still isnt great, Stealers said bring it back again, i'm due a service in 3K so might just combine it into 1, as i can actually drive it now, and 1 handed on the motorway now, under 70mph :thumbsup: but if you drive it like you stole it, it's still not great, and now the TC is having a field day, sometimes even on a slow corner, BANG! it cuts the power then resumes and i can see the light on the dash. I'm still thinking it is the Conti Contact 3's but not this TC issue anyone an ideas?

.....upfront, I've not read the full thread, so sorry :ermm:

The TC is likely to be cutting out as it's detecting loss of grip from the wheels. What is on the front now? Conti 3's with low tread depth?

IIRC Conti 3's and Uniroyal rainsport 3's have very different tread patterns, you shouldn't mix tread patterns ideally. If you have 2 fronts on 1 tread pattern and 2 rears on a different tread pattern the wheels act as separate pairs - the rears will behave differently from the fronts, and with a high torque, heavy front wheel drive car you will be getting some odd handling.

Add to this a big different in tread depth between the front and rear and it's not great at all.....

Incidentally; I've got Conti 3's all round and have no issues, other than some tram-lining on the motorway. Running at 36psi front and 33psi read with normal load (S4 Avant) - 255/35/19's.

Conti 3 up front but 5mm to 4mm left and uniroyal rainsport 3 at rear, good 7mm but as only 2wd, shouldn't make a huge diff, surely? but are you saying get 4 the same ie rainsport 3's and might be better?

Set pressures back to 42 againat the weekend.

You say you are running 36 at the front, what does your door card sau you should be on, 42 like me?

Door card says 36 front, 33 rear. On 19's, with 3 up and luggage. If I'm 5 up and luggage (fully laden) then it's 41psi all round.

18's says 41psi 3 up and bags and 44psi fully laden.

Yours is 1590Kg and mine is 1750kg, so if anything I should be running the higher pressure.....you sure you're reading your door card right?

Anyway....yes it would make a different is the tread patterns were very different. The fronts will behave together and the rears will behave together, so the rear of your car will act differently to the front. All you need is less rolling resistance or different hardness and grip on the rear and you get conflicts between both ends. The front ends up dragging the rear along a bit or the rear tyes want to move faster than the fronts. It's only subtle, but it could make the steering feel like its wondering on the motorway.

Ideally, if you want to have different tyres that are a totally different tread pattern then you should replace all 4. I'm not talking about a slight difference, that's fine, but where it is totally different.

Conti SportContact 3:

Conti

Uniroyal Rainsport 3:

Uniroyal rainsport 3

Last edited:
yes my car says 43 for front normal driving, and it is the only one for 255 option, i have always thought this is a bit too high, i tried in the past down to 36, even Conti website states 36 too

I've never been a huge fan of conti's just don't gel with me. went for these Rainsports as tried Rainsport 2's on the last a4 and were good, and all the reviews for the rainsport 3's are far better, also, £120 per tyre at Camskill i couldn't say no.

Thought i'd try a pair out, and then switch to all 4, when the front had burnout ready for winter, so hopefully, burn these off quickly and get another pair of rainsport 3's and all should be better then?

Pressures

Here it is, my door card, so I'm not going mad am I? 255/35/R19's are 42 psi Front and 36 psi Rear.

I've booked it back into Audi again, as it's really doing my head in this, and every time I get a car from them, the steering is far far better, and the TC light isn't have a fit all the time too. All saying that it was fine this am, not a thing wrong typical eh:(