My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

somebody sort me a spacer or two out for the 007p, ill send you a biscuit in the post! i really will send you a biscuit in the post. in fact ill send you a packet of biscuits in the post!!!!1!!!

It's a brand new forge actuator with a yellow spring in. The only thing he said was if it had a blue spring in, it would make some more boost

I am using a yellow spring in my super size DV and my setup holds 1.8bar to redline...

This is what I would do... get some valve grinding paste (fine) and lap the piston into where it seats... then use just one shim, apply a little grease to the one side and stick it into the piston... this effectively reduces the pistons volume making it faster reacting... then just try using a green spring...

The pressure should be equalised on both sides of the piston... there should be no reason for it to be 'forced' open unless its fitted with boost acting on the bottom of the piston... aftermarket DV's all leak to a varying degree... the only valve I know that doesn't is the OEM one... if you still think the DV is the issue fit an OEM one and try that... if the problem persists then its NOT the DV as a functional OEM DV does NOT leak... All the spring has to do is return the piston... people are of the opinion they need to fit stiffer springs to hold boost... not so... all a stiffer spring does is require more vacuum to crack it open... it will still leak boost... they all do!...

Stiffer springs also promote compressor stall at part throttle...

<tuffty/>

I am using a yellow spring in my super size DV and my setup holds 1.8bar to redline...

This is what I would do... get some valve grinding paste (fine) and lap the piston into where it seats... then use just one shim, apply a little grease to the one side and stick it into the piston... this effectively reduces the pistons volume making it faster reacting... then just try using a green spring...

The pressure should be equalised on both sides of the piston... there should be no reason for it to be 'forced' open unless its fitted with boost acting on the bottom of the piston... aftermarket DV's all leak to a varying degree... the only valve I know that doesn't is the OEM one... if you still think the DV is the issue fit an OEM one and try that... if the problem persists then its NOT the DV as a functional OEM DV does NOT leak... All the spring has to do is return the piston... people are of the opinion they need to fit stiffer springs to hold boost... not so... all a stiffer spring does is require more vacuum to crack it open... it will still leak boost... they all do!...

Stiffer springs also promote compressor stall at part throttle...

<tuffty/>

I know that stiffer springs cause compressor stall, I read that in your thread, iv got the yellow spring as it says its the right spring for what I'm running.

The reason I mentioned a stronger spring is that when the dv is fitted in reverse its sound and the right way round the car doesn't seem to hold boost as well.. think this is the reason niki fitted it this way, pressure drop? (also because it was cold side relocated)

Iv lapped the piston in, I wrote that bit in further up.

I'll try get my hands on a spacer/shim, I don't suppose you or bill have any spares.

Also the part you've quoted me on saying people have the idea that a stronger spring holds more boost, that's because I was talking about my actuator in that post not the dv. If that was aimed at me anyway. If not my bad

Ah... yeah... skim read + mobile + tiredness = fail lol...

Bill does have shims on the shelf...

<tuffty/>

I had a fault code for loss of pressure between ic and tb when i had a coldside relocation, didnt make a diffrence which way it was.

So the spring stiffness only closes the valve? And it needs to be a certain stiffness to close at the correct psi when off boost, otherwise compressor stall because it has closed to early?

I'd get an LSD if I went BT.

It'll make feck all difference, it'll still be utterly useless in anything but the dry. I can confirm that now mine is back on the road, it's completely useless in the damp, and downright dangerous in the wet!

How? Fwd is light and responsive, my tt is heavy and 'seems' more tasking, ie more thinking involved.

I reckon it's the other way round, the 4wd cars are heavy and boring, just point and shoot with no real struggle.

The FWD chassis seems far more rewarding to drive, and it's far more lively. Takes more concentration to drive the FWD quick I reckon.

somebody sort me a spacer or two out for the 007p, ill send you a biscuit in the post! i really will send you a biscuit in the post. in fact ill send you a packet of biscuits in the post!!!!1!!!

I've got a SBA Red spring spare in the car if you want to try it dude, not recommended, but you could bang it in to see if it cures the problem, then do it properly :laugh:

I reckon it's the other way round, the 4wd cars are heavy and boring, just point and shoot with no real struggle.

The FWD chassis seems far more rewarding to drive, and it's far more lively. Takes more concentration to drive the FWD quick I reckon.

Thats what i ment, they are heavy and take alot more thought into driving it quickly, my a3s seemed effortless to shoot around, and the tt just dosent.

May be down to the stiff suspension and the stupidly low profile tyres, and being afraid to hit a pot hole at 35 because i may break my back.

Ok, you're really selling this 4wd system ;)

i think this thread should remain a 4wd free zone, I'm sure Alex doesn't want this tat filling up his build thread :laugh:

Ok, you're really selling this 4wd system ;)

i think this thread should remain a 4wd free zone, I'm sure Alex doesn't want this tat filling up his build thread :laugh:

I like how the 4wd system isn't getting biged up my fwd build thread. It must be because its true the a3 is better than the s3......

Awaits peoples rage...

Iv got a blue and a red spring dude that I got with my forge kit but I never got any shims in the kit :( and I can't find the ****** receipt.

Could you not buy some from a local diy store? Its basically a washer.

Washers have holes in..... I could just put a 2p in it... I'm joking, or am I !

Not sure a 2p would be big enough. But i think the shims i had where washers, because they had a small hole in the middle, iv probly got some in my tool box so il have a look.

I like ginger nut biscuits by the way.

Not sure a 2p would be big enough. But i think the shims i had where washers, because they had a small hole in the middle, iv probly got some in my tool box so il have a look.

I like ginger nut biscuits by the way.

good i will buy you some and get them sent down, if you find me a shim or two you beautiful man you!

Don't put washers in there, part of the benefit of the shim is that it seals the bottom of the piston off, making it effectively a smaller volume, so the DV reacts a bit quicker.

Mine certainly sounds more sharp and crisp with the shim in there.

I sealed my shim in with a bit of high temp silicon too, just to be safe.

Don't put washers in there, part of the benefit of the shim is that it seals the bottom of the piston off, making it effectively a smaller volume, so the DV reacts a bit quicker.

Mine certainly sounds more sharp and crisp with the shim in there.

I sealed my shim in with a bit of high temp silicon too, just to be safe.

Don't suppose you have a spare shim.

That's good to know as mine sounds super loud and its quite long and stretched out. I'll try get a video

Mae you still after some shims? Ive got loads somewhere so can sort you out ;). I want a packet of hob knobs in return though haha.

Awesome lads its would be good to try a shim it the dv and see what its like.

Let me know. Leigh if you can't find one ill have one off you since your only up the road. Dani obviously if Leigh can't find one ill get you some nobhobs lol

Nobhobs? Please dont tell me your goin to send me a picture of a hobknob with knob on it amdthats what its called, i know what you pub lot are like haha.

OK, public apology time:

Dude, I've forgotten to post your DP, and I've only realised as I've just caught up with my PM's and seen yours :(

I fail. I'm very sorry. I do have your butt plug though, AND the lamda bung you needed.

It's in the boot of the car with me here at work, all ready to go. Will sort it out in the morning and let you know.

Sorry dude.

if it makes you feel better prawn i was supposed to post a breather hose for someone that payed on sunday and i've still not done it. oops. sometimes things just take over dont they

OK, public apology time:

Dude, I've forgotten to post your DP, and I've only realised as I've just caught up with my PM's and seen yours :(

I fail. I'm very sorry. I do have your butt plug though, AND the lamda bung you needed.

It's in the boot of the car with me here at work, all ready to go. Will sort it out in the morning and let you know.

Sorry dude.

Its alright dude, I wasn't checking up on you lol its just our post man can be a bit of bell end. As in he doesn't like delivering big things...

No rush man.

a little up date on my front bumper misery...

woo it be painted

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTAuanBn.jpg

ohhh shineys!
utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTEuanBn.jpg

bit of grill pimping.
utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTIuanBn.jpg

got the dremel out to trim the new bottom half of the bumper.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDguanBn.jpg

cut the bumper down to make it fit.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMDkuanBn.jpg

the joined both half's together then bosh !

utf-8BSU1BRzAwMTMuanBn.jpg

boom cars all sexy again !

Looking good mate :)

would like a ride some time to see how the baby hybrid pulls.

cheers dude :D

your more than welcome any time lol ever near Middlesbrough give me a shout and id happily take you out.. and then show you my car..

i still need to take some videos, like you have done so people can get an idea of what its like.

So everything has been all good until yesterday.

I'm driving along getting abit excited with the go go pedal in fourth at about 4k rpm, it feels like the car has abit of a misfire (judder) then it only lasted about a second or two and all was good after that.

It happend again today at the same rpm in the same gear.

Iv vagcom'd it and nothing has come up. Everything is pluged in and where it should be.

Any one got any ideas