My a3 will go fast! (build thread)

290 tq that will be like a rocket!,well done,got me thinking should I even bother going ko4 hybrid now lol

Well done fella, very pleased for you.. Been a long hard slog good to see some healthy results.

bit more of an update.

the car needs a new ecu as its got the old "chip" type ecu with 132kb map files.

iv just bought one off the bay for 58 quid, so all is good.

what a build thread, well done mate, you have done a massive amount of work, and the figures so far look awesome, think im gonna have to do something to my quattro now

cheers lads :D

iv got a video on my facebook of it been live mapped, i have no idea how to get the video on here. if any of you have niki as a friend on facebook the video is on his wall also.

I'm confused...

He tuned it to 275hp then decided it needed a new ECU?

You do realise the later AGU ECU's use a different MAF...

018D uses the Expensive MAF that you bought
018AQ and 018CJ etc use the later maf thats only £100.

i have one of dans Ko3 hybrids built into a k03 0073 turbo, fantastic bit of kit!!

I'm confused...

He tuned it to 275hp then decided it needed a new ECU?

You do realise the later AGU ECU's use a different MAF...

018D uses the Expensive MAF that you bought
018AQ and 018CJ etc use the later maf thats only £100.

niki said if i get a ecu that is the same as his development ecu which he mapped the car on not my ecu, it is plug and play which is right as hes had he development ecu plugged in and mapped the car with that so it obviously works.

the ecu i was told to get ended in 018R i think

it must work though, as i doubt niki would give me bad info.

niki hasn't told me i need any new clocks or maf or wiring. (i did ask and niki said it was plug and play)

niki is using the ecu out of ting tongs car in my car atm and i just have to give him the ecu i bought on Saturday

*edit*

this is the code off the ecu i bought that niki advised me to get [h=1]06A906018R[/h]

Last edited:
Ask him about the MAF then, its possible hes just dialled the calibration for the earlier maf into the later ECU.

018R defo uses a different MAF to the one you paid 300quid for. The super expensive one is only used on 018D A3's and a few early A4's from 1995-1997.

The 018R as standard uses a much cheaper unit thats only around £100, same as the MAF on my AJL engine.

Its just a pity you didnt know he was going to use a later ECU before you baught the new maf, or you could have just ordered the later one and saved yourself a packet.

I wonder if it's because he's using the emulator to map the ecu and as such it's already setup on his R ecu so easier to do that or possibly the old one isn't compatible

Its just a pity you didnt know he was going to use a later ECU before you baught the new maf, or you could have just ordered the later one and saved yourself a packet.

i know yeah :( its just because the tuned map file is to big to go on the 132k ecu that's in my a3 i think. lol i don't really know anything about this whole mapping thing

more of an update from niki.

"We managed 280bhp today, but turned down to 275bhp to be safe on the manifold. With WMI it will run 280bhp all day"

i think ill be investing in some WMI ;)

222089_4633661799449_775673702_n.jpg

Wow, looking at your clocks your car is REALLY early! R-reg I assume?

Do the removable panels in your boot go horizontal or vertical?

Epic result btw :) when do I get a ride?

Wow, looking at your clocks your car is REALLY early! R-reg I assume?

Do the removable panels in your boot go horizontal or vertical?

Epic result btw :) when do I get a ride?

you are correct mr prawn, ill try take a picture of the factory receipt for 21+ thousand pounds it was back in 97.

the panels open left to right so that would be vertical ? lol dyslexic cant tell the difference between vertical and horizontal.

cheers man. to get a ride you'll have to take me to dinner first.... oh you mean the car :undwech:

whenever you turn up at my house or are any where near Middlesbrough.

i would love to start going to car shows again but this little baby isn't ready for any shows until its been repainted ;)

Last edited:
Nice.. that will feel great on the road...be careful...;)

cheers dave, i will be very careful, it will take me a long long time to get used to this power considering my first car was a 1.4 rover 25 then the a3 with 150 bhp lol this will indefinitely turn my penis inside out!

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNzMuanBn.jpg

prawn you were right it is a very early one it was ordered in 1996 and delivered in 1997

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 230
id take a guess your boot trims are not like this then:

005.jpg

and the split in the panels is vertical not horizontal

Holding 13psi at redline and only peaking at 21psi, that's pretty good I'd say. Looks impressive it will certainly give an s3 a run for its money!

was it mapped at all before all this work? or have you gone straight from 150bhp to 280?

It wasnt mapped before just jumped in at the deep end, why not lol just means my next car is going to have to be a big turbo 600 poneys machine.

No my boot doesn't look like that lol

GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

A good review from nick.. Very chuffed to have such good comments.

Very aware people like niki and Bill can make or break a product so nice to get some reward after plenty of hard work.

Well done Alex seems your car has impressed.

Do I also read right that with a stronger actuator spring another 10bhp could be got?

Last edited:
well done mate really pleased for you mate, makes me wanna get mine done now

Reactions: coatesy
GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.

A good review from nick.. Very chuffed to have such good comments.

Very aware people like niki and Bill can make or break a product so nice to get some reward after plenty of hard work.

Well done Alex seems your car has impressed.

Do I also read right that with a stronger actuator spring another 10bhp could be got?

Yeah man that's awesome.

It does say that Dan a blue spring in the actuator would get an extra 10bhp, also with WMI it will make extra and still be safe.

I'm on the way to collect the car now.

I'm packing an extra set of pants for when I shart my self on the test drive lol

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh my word, 150 - 280bhp? in one step? that's AMAZING! id be pretty confident saying you have no idea what's coming :)

Awesome stuff! can't wait for your report!

Reactions: phil miller