My A3 Sportback TDI

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Although I'm a member of this forum since 2009, I never took the time, until now, to open a topic about my car.

So... it is a MY2006 TDI with DSG, leather, BOSE, rain and light sensors, MFSW and a few other options.
After owning a Astra H, the A3 seemed from another world.

The car was bought from a work colleague at ~92,000KMs in December 2008. I knew its history since day one so when he announced that it is for sale, I had no hesitation and took it.

Was very pleased with the powerful engine (BKD) but the DSG gearbox blew me away. Until that time I never drove an automatic.
In the first few months I've told to myself that it is powerful enough, handles very well, it is very beautiful and won't need to improve anything.
Here are some pics with it when I bought it:

After 6 months I gave up and started to mod it. The first thing, the rear lights:

After 5 more months came a remap from Superchips. The result was ~182HP and 416NM. Awesome!
Than came the cruise control retrofit, RS4 Start button, windows tinted and a metal engine guard (by far the best investment - saved me a few times from braking the oil pan).

At this time the bug already got me. The more I read on the forums, the poorer I get :)

In January 2011, got myself a set of H&R ARBs 26/22.

In June 2011 came new upgrades:
S3 brakes, HEL brake lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Tarox F2000 disks, Ferodo DS2500 pads.
20110404183815 HEL
and the end result
Img3011e
After the brakes, the TT lower arms:
P1090909k
and finally, bigger turbo - VNT20 and new software
P1090916

Very nice!!!how much hp are you running now?how much for the brake upgrade?

I never got to test it on the dyno like I did with the Superchips tune but I estimate at least 200 HP and 430 - 450 NM. There is a big difference between the two setups. It pulls from ~2000 until 4000RPM and really holds you in the seat.
Even so, because the MAP sensor can't read more than 1.6bar, the actuator of the turbo is set for a shorter travel, to protect it.
I've tested it with a longer travel and it is quite violent.

Starting next week I'll do more work and I hope I'll also manage to do a test on the dyno.
I'll replace the Intercooler with an S3 one (it was an opportunity and I bought it), replace the curent MAP sensor with a 4bar one, reinstall the TT arms, reinstall the ARBs and a Bilstein B16 suspension.
Also have to find where is the coolant leaking.

Stay close because I have some big plans with the car.

Last edited:
To continue the story, in September 2011 I decided to buy a bigger house and needed money for a down payment. So I put the car up for sale. Also removed the TT arms and the ARBs. I only managed to sell the ARBs.
Meanwhile I bought the house and kept the car.
I had a new opportunity and bought a set of 18" BBS CH wheels. Because it was almost winter, I had to wait until April 2012 to put them on the car.

Bought a brand new set of Michelin PS3
O7j2av
In march I also won an auction on ebay for a 193G navigation which I had to sell in the summer
P1100006
Than came a new set of ARBs, H&R 26/24 which are still in the box.
And the latest mod, a set of chrome steering wheel audio commands and shifting paddles.
But the best mod, by far, is this:
RaduTudor

@jimpa10: the brakes costed me ~1200 euros. Everything was brand new. The disks and pads alone were ~550 - 600euros.
I've also replaced the rubber bushes with the brake caliper stiffening kit from Tyrol Sport.

For the future I plan to change the rear brakes too with the S3 ones.

Reactions: nezz
Sounds good brother, I'm hopefully getting my S3 intercooler fitted next month along with having my hybrid mapped, I'm aiming for 220bhp!

So the offer i have of 800 euros with discount from a friend is a good price for both front+back upgrade s3 brakes

Ooooo YES!!! It is a good price if it also comes with disks and pads.
@N8 you should check the hoses if they fit the rest of the pipes.

Wish I had the money to mod like this. Nice little project you have. Think the s3 brakes look the dogs. Gunna have to look into this

Wish I had the money to mod like this. Nice little project you have. Think the s3 brakes look the dogs. Gunna have to look into this
Yeah, I've been in and out of this project twice. Is my third attempt to do it and I hope this time I'll be successful.

How much difference in handling are the TT lower arms ?

The arms alone I don't know. I've had them on the car together with the ARBs. I had a -2 camber with them and a -1.5 on the rear. At normal driving there is no difference. On twisted roads at high(er) speed there is definitely an improvement. Less under-steer, stays on trajectory. You don't loose the front.
I had them combined with H&R ARBs 26 front with the softer setting and 24 rear with the hard setting. this also ads to the improved handling. The rear bar with the hard setting, when you turn sharply tends to make the rear slide a bit, in a way canceling the front's tendency to under-steer.

Now i can't wait to get the suspension and put everything back on the car and see how it handles. I think that with the coilovers I'll need a set of adjustable drop links. I understood that when lowered, the front ARB will hit the control arms.

With the GT2056v?
It is the turbo used on 2.5 tdi 180hp. It is not a hybrid.
For some unknown reason all hybrids I know in Romania have cracked. They do not last long here. Some were made here, some were bought from UK from Turbo Dynamics or something, Allard. All have cracked.
On the other hand, there are a lot of cars using vnt20 like mine and gtb2260vk with vacuumatic actuator and have no problem at all.

Today I got a new RNSe unit which I hope to fit this week. Also placed the order for a 4Bar MAP sensor and coilovers.
I'll come back with pictures with the RNS unit.

Today during my lunch brake I've managed to mmake the conversion from 1Din to 2Din and to install the new navigation unit.

Now I just have to get home and code it.

Any idea what the blue connector is for? The wrapped one?
Those in my hand are for hazard lights, ESP and tray light.

Last edited:
After driving a few days with the new suspension set at half on all wheels, both height and stiffness, yesterday I decided to soften it a bit so now it is at the lowest setting.
Very pleased with the ride now, almost like the old OEM sport suspension.
For the moment I'll let it like this until I get my 18" BBS wheels from powder-coating and then I'll adjust the hight too.
Right now I think the front is higher than the rear.

Meanwhile, something for the interior:

Last edited:
I got my wheels back from powder coating. They came out nicely.
Dirty for the moment.

Guess the difference #1
Between this:

and this:

I love BBS CH, are they genuine or reps? Spacers and de-badge me thinks.

Originals. De-badge coming soon. I have a nasty scratch on the boot lid and I´ll get it repaired. Than all the badges will come off.
Spacers... I´m not sure. Maybe.
Next: S3 rear bumper, FBMFSW, new DSG gear selector, will have to replace some o-rings to the intercooler piping, replace a plastic pipe somewhere between the turbo and the intercooler which is cracked and I´m loosing boost, 4Bar MAP sensor, EGR and cooler delete and, finally, a new remap.

Meanwhile...

Out with the old

In with the new

Yesterday I've managed to do the following:
- EGR delete
- changed a split hose, the 90 degrees one, that enters the turbo
- all the bolts holding the engine sub frame, also added the special washers to prevent it from moving and making all sort of popping noises plus the bolts holding the front sway bar
- new brake fluid - Castrol SRF
- all filters and engine oil
- auxiliary belt tensioner
- alternator pulley

Still to do:
- EGR cooler delete
- change one more hose that enters the intercooler on the right side
- lower the car some more

I have a 4bar MAP sensor and a S3 intercooler that I've decided not to install so they'll be up for sale.
If I manage to sell these and some other parts that I have left, I want to do the S3 rear.

After a year of searching where the engine looses coolant, after egr cooler delete, new coolant bottle, all sort of hoses changed, I think I finally fixed it. I've changed the radiator. Its been 10 days already and no more looss.
In the last two months it was losing the coolant in two days.
I'm very happy!

New mirror caps:

New camera: BlackVue DR500GW

New crack in the windshield:

Switched to winter tires.

Raised

with brand new shoes - Nokian W+

and ready for the winter and the heavy snow that is announced for tomorrow (although now is warm and sunny outside).

Where did you get the metal engine guard from?
Are the standard ones plastic then? I've not taken a proper look under my car yet...

I bought the guard from a parts store but since I'm not from UK so it doesn't help you much.
The standard ones are plastic and very fragile. There are optional metal ones from Audi but very expensive and I don't know if they still make them for 8P.
Mine is aftermarket but is very strong. And heavy.
If you plan on buying one, there are some differences between the ones for manual gearbox and DSG. The ones for manual have to be adjusted to clear the DSG box.

Ye - noticed your car is left hand drive.
Was just curious - guess I will do some research this side.
Thanks for the info.

New rear bumper.
Can I replace the black part only with the S3 diffuser or do I also have to change the lower valance?

P1100307P1100308P1100309