My A3! Small subtle mods so far...

lethargichamster

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Purchased a 2.0FSI Sportback about a month ago at a decent price, and I'm absolutely loving it! Only just got around to taking some pictures, hardly a decent photographer though! I need to give it a wash soon, so I'll probably post daytime pics after it's looking a bit cleaner.

I'm looking to go down the route of small inexpensive mods right now, nothing too flashy, but things which will improve the look of the car. Later on, when funds look a bit better, then I have some other mods that I want to do.

I'll post the cost of these mods too, mainly as a reference for myself to see how much I've spent!

So far:

I changed all the interior lights for LEDs. So, Glove box, footwell lights, map and dome lights, vanity lights and boot light.
I have to say, these LEDs are fantastic! And the prices were so reasonable. In fact, I plan to order some more to do my dads car!
Really straightforward mod, but it's made a noticeable improvement.
Cost: £8.45
IMG 0394

I also changed the number plate lights for LEDs, also changed those terrible screws Audi use for the light housing.
Cost: £2.48
IMG 0399

Next, the headlights! I got a set of LED 501 wedges, and then 2 sets of Xtec super white h7's. I wasn't too sure which were the best, and these were pretty cheap, so I gave them a shot.
Cost: £16
IMG 0395
The sidelights by themselves

IMG 0398IMG 0397
Dipped and Main beam

Wishlist:
  • Pressed Plates: My number plates are looking quite faded, so a good time to change them.
  • Cruise Control: Thinking about this as I do quite a bit of motorway driving.
  • Foglights: I'm undecided about whether to go for white or yellow fogs. I do use them so they would have to be functional. Otherwise I'd consider changing them for LEDs.
  • Sound System: I want to upgrade the HU, and change the stock sub out for a better one. I already have a sub and a HU from my old car, but considering getting a better one. Touch screen is not important, but one that looks like it belongs in an A3 would be nice.
  • MFSW: Really want one of these, not fussed about flat bottom, standard one will do. Again, I'll have to save up for this.
  • OEM Xenon: This is one that I'd really like, but probably won't bother with. I can't really justify the cost, it may be better to just look for it when the time comes to change car. And a HID kit sounds a bit too dodgy to consider (although I've seen a few A3s with them around my area and they don't look bad, it's usually the Corsas that dazzle other drivers

Update:

So I've just bought myself a VCDS cable, waiting for it to arrive!
When it arrives then I can get cracking on some more substantial projects. First off, Cruise Control! Also on the look out for a MFSW, hoping to get them both fitted at the same time :D

So this arrived in the post today:

IMG 0405

After a few teething problems, during which the seller called me up and gave me a tutorial on using it; I got it all working and did a full scan of the car. Got the following fault codes:

01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

01499 - Bulb for High-Beams; Right (M32)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

00323 - Vehicle Inclination Sensor (G384)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Cleared them, drove a little, and they haven't come back, so I'm assuming that there's nothing to address.

But I did find out that my Steering Module is incompatible with Cruise Control, so I guess I'm on the hunt for one of those too now.

Where did you get the interior LEDs from ?

So this arrived in the post today:

View attachment 11948

After a few teething problems, during which the seller called me up and gave me a tutorial on using it; I got it all working and did a full scan of the car. Got the following fault codes:

01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

01499 - Bulb for High-Beams; Right (M32)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

00323 - Vehicle Inclination Sensor (G384)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Cleared them, drove a little, and they haven't come back, so I'm assuming that there's nothing to address.

But I did find out that my Steering Module is incompatible with Cruise Control, so I guess I'm on the hunt for one of those too now.

I'm looking to get myself a VCDS cable, were did you get yours from and how much was it? Is it fully compatible with 2006 Audi A3's.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking to get myself a VCDS cable, were did you get yours from and how much was it? Is it fully compatible with 2006 Audi A3's.

Thanks in advance.
If you get the same one as I have, then yes it is compatible. I got mine off eBay, if you find someone selling theirs then you may be able to get yourself a bargain. But if you want it new, then Gendan Automotive Products :: Professional and DIY car diagnostic tools :: EOBD, OBD II, CAN and VAG Code Readers and Scan Tools sell them, or the manufacturers website is: Ross-Tech: Home