My A3 Saloon is on its way... Tuning box or map ?

Inertiauk

Reaction score
Website
www.yourlocalcomputerguy.co.uk
I've been off the forums for quite a while as I now lease my cars via my business and I've had a C Class for the last 18 months. (Got an unbelievably cheap deal on it which can't be repeated)

I ordered my new lease Last week which is getting delivered on Tuesday (19th April).
An Audi A3 Quattro 2.0tdi (184) DSG Saloon S-line. In Daytona Grey.

I'm excited to be getting back to 4 rings and something with a bit of poke.

I've been looking at tuning options. I need something that doesn't void the warranty. Is DTUK (or similar) the way to go? Or a map ?

If I get a tuning box, how easy are they to fit and remove?

Last edited:
I've been off the forums for quite a while as I now lease my cars via my business and I've had a C Class for the last 18 months. (Got an unbelievably cheap deal on it which can't be repeated)

I ordered my new lease Last week which is getting delivered on Tuesday (19th April).
An Audi A3 Quattro (184) DSG Saloon Quattro S-line. Wow that's a mouth full.

I'm excited to be getting back to 4 rings and something with a bit of poke.

I've been looking at tuning options. I need something that doesn't void the warranty. Is DTUK (or similar) the way to go? Or a map ?

If I get a tuning box, how easy are they to fit and remove?
I used the TMC Motorsport ones because my car to have 3 years warranty left.

I got their Tunning box and the gearbox auto flash very nice combination.

Reactions: Inertiauk
Get a dtuk box.
Takes half hour to install and remove for a novice.

Big gains.
Warranty friendly.
Holds residuals for future sale.

Perfect for someone who leases.

Reactions: ruairi83, pburv and Inertiauk
Get the new Stage 2 DTUK CRD3+ box. I have it for my TDI and its awesome!.

The gains for your car a really nice, clicky here - http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-audi_a3_2.0-tdi-184-ps-(2013-)-stage-2-(crd-t)

Its the Ultimate Control box in here - http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/systems_available.php?id=4130

And to read all about the CRD3+ clicky here - http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/box-details.php?id=25

You connect 3 looms that go to the Rail sensor, Boost sensor and the cam shaft sensor. Which took me about 30mins

Should have a sticky on this question.

If warranty is not an issue - flash.

Otherwise tuning box.

If the turbo pops for example and you want to remove the box at side of the road, MTM (one connector to ecu and nothing more) is the best alternative.
Also you can add two years engine/drivetrain warranty for a little extra.

Personally I chose JB1, at least as advanced as Mtm and a lot of power with smoth delivery. Oem++ I would say...
But four connectors and you have to access one of them from below just as with dtuk/racechip...

Unless your Audi dealer fits it and warranties it then your options are simple.

Choose 1/ a warranty, or 2/ a tuning box.

You can't have both. You'd be be mad / naive beyond words to think you can simply unlpug the box and that Audi , should they be minded to go look for them, won't be able to see all the various logged fuel and air parameters that were in play at the time, and just how far from the manufacturer maps limits they were. You might get lucky, and they might let it slip through the net, but be under no illusions that you are under any kind of warranty if you fit something that so fundamentally and dramatically deviates from the manufacturers intended design.

If you're leasing the car, then the statement "My A3 Saloon" needs some more consideration, since you also have to wonder whether the actual owner of the car would be entirely comfortable with you tuning their cars engine to produce 30% more power, and dump 30% more torque into their driveline. Or, might they think that constitutes abuse?