Facelift My A3 automatic keeps rolling back?

LaurenP

Reaction score
I have the A3 saloon and my car keeps rolling back when I step off the brake. For example, in a red traffic light I stop and hold the breaks and when lights turn green I let go my break, but when I let go my car rolls back and I need to quickly hit the accelerator otherwise it would hit the car behind me. This happens a lot with my a3 hatchback too, and my salon is doing the same. I don't have the hill start button if that helps, but this shouldn't happen since it's an automatic car. This would only happen to manual cars because you have to find the bind in the clutch first then hit the accelerater right? ... Does anyone know why this is happening? I nearly hit someone behind me multiple times because of this :(

The car has a dsg gearbox which is essentially an automated manual so it will behave the same as a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-Tronic is not a true automatic. It’s closer in design to a manual but operated by hydraulics.

As you don’t have Hold Assist (which holds the car on the brakes indefinitely until you press the accelerator), the car can creep forward or roll back either straight after taking your foot off the brake or 3 seconds later depending on situation.

You’ll need to either keep your foot on the brake pedal or flick on the electronic parking brake

The s-tronic has Hill Hold as standard so should not behave like this. If the car is in drive and you release the brake it should hold the car for a second until you increase the throttle enough to drive the car forwards. If you are on the flat then of course when you release the brake the car will creep forward.
Have you always seen this behaviour or has it just started.

It shouldn't roll back, if your foot isn't on the brake it should keep creeping forward whether your car is on a slope or level ground.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Actually the gearbox is not enough to keep the car from rolling back on a very steep hill. You do need to get on the throttle promptly. But the hill hold gives you time to do that.

Actually the gearbox is not enough to keep the car from rolling back on a very steep hill. You do need to get on the throttle promptly. But the hill hold gives you time to do that.
I stand corrected as was basing it off my S3 which I believe had the hill hold thing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

All s-tronics have Hill Hold as standard.

All 8V A3s have Hill Hold as standard so the car won't rollback for around five seconds after releasing pressure and taking your foot off the brake pedal. Most competent drivers have the ability to coordinate their feet to move off from traffic lights and junctions in this time without the car rolling backwards.
(Hill) Hold Assist is an option - the difference has been done to death on here many times.

Reactions: RichardT and Adam14
I've never had this on my DSG Sportback. There's a tilt sensor which keeps the brake on for three seconds (or until the accelerator is pressed, whichever comes first) after lifting off the brake pedal. If anything, the car creeps forward on a hill after the three seconds has elapsed.

This sounds like something you should see Audi about. Until then, get in the habit of pulling the handbrake switch up when you stop on a hill. It will automatically release when you press the accelerator.