My 8L GT2871R S3 Build

Small Update.
We change out the oil pump and oil pick-up over the weekend and sorted out the oil pressure issue.

On inspecting the motor we found another prob.

Just as you guys had warned me, that the number 2 rod was bent which now means that the engine rebuild has to be done sooner than expected.

Wasn't really keen on getting it done this soon but I'm not complaining either ;)

Was thinking of going the whole route (pistons, rods and everything) but after reading up and some advice from Sidey, looks like I'll be keeping the stock pistons.

Will keep you guys the updated.

Eish dude, thats not cool! Glad you spotted it before it sent itself thru the block thou!

For some reason, I had a feeling it was bent after the motor became noisey.

But like I said, you guys warned me. My stupidity for not listening:banghead:

But now that it happend, let make some more power! :rock:

Happy/Sad days!
But once built its going to be a pleasure to drive!

I collected the first bit of parts for the build last weekend from Ashley 1.8T at Goldwagen Delarey. Shot a lot bro for all your assistance with this!!!

This included:
- Complete gasket set
- Piston Rings
- Cambelt service Kit
- Water pump
- Head Bolts
- Rear Main Seal
- Oil Filter
- 5 litre oil

He also sold me his 4bar FPR which I'm sure I will be needing.

During the course of last week, I managed to get hold of a .64 exhaust housing for my turbo (thanks Gizmo20VT for pointing me to this:icon_thumright:). Will be changing out the .86 housing to try and get boost coming in a little earlier.

And last night, got my Devils Own stage 1 water-meth kit (still with a friend of mine who collected for me). I'll post pics of this once I have it with me.

Its just a few more parts to collect (hopefully within the coming week) and the we should be good to go!!! ;D

Starting to get very impatient now!!!

Glad to see you got that housing man! She is gonna be epic :D

Glad to see you got that housing man! She is gonna be epic :D

Thanks bro!!! Cant wait to get started on her. We were supposed to start this past weekend but still waiting for the Calico bearings and ARP bolts. That all and then we ready to go :D

Devils Own Stage 1 kit collected

The time is getting close!!!

Lol, I feel like a father-to-be and its almost time :lmfao:

Reactions: PDBoosted, s3dave and Gizmo20VT
So guys, I'm looking to upgrade my DV as still running the stock DV. What would you guys suggest? I'd like something that has a nice whoosh sound but serve the correct purpose as well.

Also spoke to my tuner who say he has used BOVs previously on the 1.8Ts without any issues so maybe even a decent BOV?

Things are starting to look up. I'm told my Calico bearings and ARP bolts will be here in the week. These are the last parts I have been waiting for.

Looks like we will be starting with the build this weekend!!!:jump:

Reactions: Scullies, Sidey, s3dave and 1 other person
Awesome news bud. Is your car at a workshop or you doing the work at home?

Awesome news bud. Is your car at a workshop or you doing the work at home?

Thanks bro. I want to do it at home but space may become an issue so we may have move to a friends house with a big carport and work there.

Still a delay with the shipping of my parts. Was told last week and then at the end of the week get told there is still a delay!!!! :mad:

In the mean time, had a problem with my drivers seat. The seat got stuck at the most forward and upper most position. I managed to get the seat back down but was still stuck all the way front. Now with me being quite tall (1.87m), this was realy a very tight fit for me.

Then last week, while trying to adjust the seat, the lever came off. Managed to get it back on and while having a look under the seat, I found the following clip on the floor:

I found that this actually came of the seat rail and was the reason for the seat not moving anymore. Putting it back in was a mother fu#$er or note!!!! But eventually managed to and all is well again ;D

Reactions: Gizmo20VT
All my parts are finally here. Will be collecting them over the weekend from the friend of mine helping with the rebuild.

Now, Id just like some advise from you guys in term of what should be done with regards to the rebuild.

Seeing as this is the first time ever that I have experienced a bent rod, is it just a straigh change out of the rods and put the motor back in or is there more to it than that?

BTW, the car still starts and is able to drive.

So the friend of mine getting the parts for me hasn't gotten the parts yet (which I was told were here). Tired of waiting now as I need the car done. He also doesnt seem to have the time to help me with the build.

Car will be dropped off at FRnR tomorrow afternoon and the build will finally be started.

Reactions: PDBoosted
Car was dropped off at FRnR yesterday afternoon.

Decided to rebuild the motor complete with the new pistons as well. Havent decided what pistons we will use just yet but will discuss with Leon and take it from there.

Reactions: Scullies
After chatting to Leon and another friend of mine who had a monster of an Ibiza Cupra, I decided that while the motor is out to rebore to 1870cc (1.9 litre) as well.

Seeing as I'm go to be changing pistons, might as well get it done one time

While the motor is being done, it gives me some time to get a few other things together. Currently, I have an OEM Honda S2000 filter fitted to the car. Now in this time, the filter has become extremely dirty and needs to be replaced.

I'm leaning towards the K&N version of the S2000 filter but at the same time I'm also looking at options that will give of some turbo flutter (if possible). Actually would like to have it sound like this:

mk4 golf stock diverter valve vs. FORGE - YouTube

Would it be possible or is the actually something wrong with this car?

Why is that car making boost when it's standing still?
Mine doesn't make more than 3psi when I try rev it in neutral.

Fit a smaller turbo then Kuvi if you want that kind of "flutter" :friends:

Finally have the few parts that I have been wait for ages for. Got dropped off at my place last night. Calico main and big end bearings, ARP main stud kit, IE cam pulley bolt and IE crank dampner bolt.

Going to be using ARP Head bolts as well but that will be supplied by FRnR. Not in the mood to wait another 2 months :banghead:

So I was told yesterday that the motor was stripped out the car. Dont have any pics though, sorry guys.

Exciting times!!!:yahoo:

I went through to FRnR last night for their dyno night. While I was there, I dropped off some parts that I had collected and got an update on the progress on my baby. Motor is out and this is where she is at the moment.

Very sad sight but looking ahead, doesnt hurt seeing her in this state:

While inspecting the ports on the head, I noticed that they seemed to be very smooth. One of my friends was with me and confirmed that it looks like the head has been flowed but I'll need to comfirn that with Leon.

I know the feeling :eyebrows:

Yeah she is coming along, i just have to put the flywheel clutch and box back on, then i can put the motor back in.