My 2010 S3 Sportback Black Edition Progress Thread!

Hope you have better luck with your Mintex discs mate!
I've had 2 pairs on the front this year and both have started juddering. Hence fitting my Brembo's

What pads you using as usually juddering is caused by pad deposits left on the disc?

To be honest they were under £150 for all 4 corners so not the end of the world. I've used Mintex discs on two previous cars and not had any issues tho.

Yeah I've used mintex before and had no problems.
I did wonder if mine were genuine as they came off eBay from a trusted seller.
Although the boxes didn't have Mintex stamped on them they had TRD on them which when googled say Mintex

Yeah I've used mintex before and had no problems.
I did wonder if mine were genuine as they came off eBay from a trusted seller.
Although the boxes didn't have Mintex stamped on them they had TRD on them which when googled say Mintex

They dont sound like Mintex discs then mate, all Mintex stuff I've had in the past have come in the red Mintex boxes.

TRD is Totoya Racing Development, do you maybe mean TRW? TRW is a popular budget brand....?

Why is it when I look for upgraded brake pads (brembo/ferodo) or brake lines (hel/goodridge) I can never find anything compatible for a 2011 S3 yet hear about others completing the mods... ?

Reactions: warren_S5
Sorry iPad predictive it should say TMD
They were plain boxed with paperwork saying tmd friction they came from a seller called quality car parts off eBay.
When I googled tmd this is what came up
Mintex – braking with tradition

Hi mate, makes sense TMD Friction are the mother company of Mintex, Pagid and more, here's their dedicated website relating to fake's of their brand products.

Fighting the Fakes

Specifically note the part that states all of their branded products come in branded boxes with anti-counterfeit hologram seals and also note the following statement:

All TMD Friction products have unique part and manufacturing batch information, the packaging specification is almost impossible to replicate and TMD Friction employs anti-counterfeit security seals that include holographic technology. At Automechanika 2010 we will reveal a new security seal which incorporates 5 different anti-counterfeit technologies, some of which have never been previously used in the automotive sector.

If a branded product is presented in plain packaging, or packaging with a different brand
- Check the box contents and the product carefully, without a clear explanation from the parts distributor – don't buy the product and demand only official packaging

If they came in unbranded plain packaging It sounds like you may have been sold counterfeit Mintex discs?

Reactions: Marshy
Have to say, car looks gorgeous. Definitely one of the better looking A/S3's that I've seen! And some great mods, especially the more subtle ones such as the alu strips on the door handles :thumbsup:

Reactions: Muzza80
Hi mate, makes sense TMD Friction are the mother company of Mintex, Pagid and more, here's their dedicated website relating to fake's of their brand products.

Fighting the Fakes

Specifically note the part that states all of their branded products come in branded boxes with anti-counterfeit hologram seals and also note the following statement:

If they came in unbranded plain packaging It sounds like you may have been sold counterfeit Mintex discs?

Mmmm I can sense a refund coming on.
Thank you

Got my new wheels fitted yesterday and I'm delighted with them apart from the rears rubbing a bit over bumps even with the arch liner screw out, my fault for going 235 all round but I'll modify under the arches as it's only slight.

I was unsure if I'd made the right decision selling the RS3 Rotors but after getting the CK's on I'm smitten :)

IMG_20140628_145928_zpsekmuvccb.jpg~original

IMG_20140628_150031_zpsnufrapz1.jpg~original

I think the colour really works well with the other silver bits on the car.

Now the tyres, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, I'm utterly gobsmacked at the endless grip. Like no other tyre I've ever had, quite amazing to be honest and has completely transformed the way the car handles, I'll do a proper wee review later once I've put more miles on them.

Reactions: Hoesty
Very nice wheels.....

And I thought you'd like the Supersports!

Nice wheels suit the car really well. Like the way this car has turned out.

Awesome mate! I wish I could of got some super sports

They really are superb tyres.....very good all round grip,and surprisingly close to something like the R888s in the dry.

So been busy this week ordering up more parts for the car.

Full set of Bilstein B8's ordered up and on their way, should be here next week and already have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs ready to go on.

This little lot arrived this week too:

IMG_20140702_134124185_zpsrz9zgnsh.jpg~original

IMG_20140702_134318370_zpssco7eqxw.jpg~original

IMG_20140626_134818229_zpsukpjclew.jpg~original

That's Brembo Sport HP2000 front and rear pads and Mintex discs. I've gone for the front discs from the Passatt CC R36 which are 340mm in diameter so no lip & save 1.5 KG per side over standard and are a good bit cheaper than the TTS 340mm ones as they're not specific to one car like the TTS ones, they went on on at the weekend with no issues, direct fit. :)

Also got Hel braided lines coming with racing fluid.

SuperPro anti lift kit just ordered from Awesome too.

Also had to stump up for two new Michelin Pilot SuperSport in 225/35/19 to replace the two 235's that are rubbing at the rear, not all bad tho means I've a spare set for the front and have a few track days coming up so I'll maybe need them sooner rather than later lol

So I'll hopefully fit all that next week along with my BCS 200 cell downpipe (finally) then get booked in for a full Hunter alignment and maybe another wee RR session at Ecotune :)

I got a refund for my Mintex discs mate.
Result

That's great, on what grounds? Were they fake after all? Mintex discs have always been spot on for me tbh.

As you can see mine came in the red boxes I've always had sealed with anti counterfeit holograms.

Not sure really.
I questioned the boxes which Mintex agreed with originally then said they had some in stock with plain boxes??
The markings on the disc made them confirm they were Mintex discs.
They refunded me today and I still have the discs!
Not sure why but I'm happy with Mintex for their great customer service.

Busy week ahead for you muzza. Lookin forward to the write up. :thumbsup:

So my Eibach B8's arrived the other day and I dug out the Pro-Kit springs I've had for a while now

IMG_20140709_135117017_zpsr5aqdy9l.jpg~original

Unfortunately I have exactly the same issue as Mechanic69, the Pro-Kit springs are way too short for the B8 front dampers, by about 30mm:

IMG_20140709_135622560_HDR_zps5ho6hb5c.jpg~original

Not good really.

Not sure what to do, Bilstein UK will modify them for me I just need to post them down but something tells me that I shouldnt be splitting and modifying a brand new set of dampers to suit springs..... dunno, it just don't seem right?

Called Eibach UK, they confirmed these are the right ones for the car, the overall spring height is 220mm and the guy commented that actually that's the shortest spring for any A3 they list and actually one of the shortest that he's seen. All other A3 springs are around 250mm which obviously would take up that gap. They're specific to the S3 though where as these B8's fit a range of MK5/6 golf chassis cars and that's maybe where the problem lies, the S3 may have an exceptionally short spring compared to the others for some reason and Bilstein have jut not picked this up or something.

On a more positive note the car went into the bodyshop yesterday for full front and rear bumper resprays, RS3 rear bumper mounts/extensions fitted, RS3 front grille surround and lower fornt splitter painted in the Audi matt alu of the RS3 styling pack and also to get the front crash bar blacked out so it cant be seen behind the grille. All for £400 from a local place who have done fantastic work for me in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5
I totally agree with you!!! you should not be having to modify the brand new Bilstein shock totally wrong IMHO!

Either way you go I hope its a quick turn around mate

So a little update to what's been happening this last week.

If you read way back on this thread I'd mentioned that I was going for the RS3 matt alu styling pack theme on my S3. I started with the RS3 rear diffuser with the alu strip then did the handle strips which both matched in nicely to the wing mirrors but the front end needed something.

So the car got booked into my local trusted bodyshop last week. Complete front and rear bumper respray due to stone chips on the front and a less than perfect smart repair on the rear. Also to black out the front crash bar and to do the RS3 front grille surround and the lower front splitter in the same LAP6 alu paint of the RS3 alu styling pack. Also got the arches modified a little, the proper RS3 bumper supports and arch extensions fitted too.

Got the car back a few days ago and I'm over the moon with it, they've done such an excellent job on everything I simply cant fault a thing, these guys really put the time and effort into their work and they dont hand it back unless its perfect, all for £400 too! It's called Pro Bodyshop in Cambuslang, Glasgow if anyone's looking for bodywork.

Anyway here's some pics :)

1_zps03f9a2d6.jpg~original

2_zps05e69673.jpg~original

3_zps1143fdaf.jpg~original

4_zps3faeaa28.jpg~original

5_zpsded60fef.jpg~original

6_zpsfe6787bd.jpg~original

7_zpsa91bd2d9.jpg~original

8_zps30d532d3.jpg~original

Exactly the look I was going for, just need to get a small plate for the front now, a little tint on the front two windows and that's the exterior complete :)

All comments welcome as always :)

Reactions: 45bvtc, warren_S5 and S3Alex
Cheers guys, it's looking the way I'd imagined anyway which is good :)

Absolutely awesome car mate, the front windows will look perfect with a light tint as well.

Looks brilliant, the little additions suit the car perfectly and the alu colour scheme is spot on.

So my Eibach B8's arrived the other day and I dug out the Pro-Kit springs I've had for a while now

IMG_20140709_135117017_zpsr5aqdy9l.jpg~original

Unfortunately I have exactly the same issue as Mechanic69, the Pro-Kit springs are way too short for the B8 front dampers, by about 30mm:

IMG_20140709_135622560_HDR_zps5ho6hb5c.jpg~original

Not good really.

Not sure what to do, Bilstein UK will modify them for me I just need to post them down but something tells me that I shouldnt be splitting and modifying a brand new set of dampers to suit springs..... dunno, it just don't seem right.

Get them shortened, you wouldn't know they have been modified. So much better than stock. Bit of a ball ache as they should fit out of the box. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Get them shortened, you wouldn't know they have been modified. So much better than stock. Bit of a ball ache as they should fit out of the box. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Hey mate, they were sent to Bilstein along with the Eibach springs on Thursday.

I've asked them to confirm 100% that there's no performance hit by adding 30mm worth of internal spacers before doing anything to them, if there is I've asked them to source the correct length pistons from Germany instead. As the end of the day as I see it it's Bilsteins mistake, they should never have had these dampers listed as 100% compatible with the S3 8P in the first place as clearly they are not without being tweaked, does make you wonder though how many people have fitted them before us and why it;s not come up before?

Weird, I'm sure they will sort it out for me either way though.

Hey mate, they were sent to Bilstein along with the Eibach springs on Thursday.

I've asked them to confirm 100% that there's no performance hit by adding 30mm worth of internal spacers before doing anything to them, if there is I've asked them to source the correct length pistons from Germany instead. As the end of the day as I see it it's Bilsteins mistake, they should never have had these dampers listed as 100% compatible with the S3 8P in the first place as clearly they are not without being tweaked, does make you wonder though how many people have fitted them before us and why it;s not come up before?

Weird, I'm sure they will sort it out for me either way though.

Nice one, not sure how they did mine but I was told they fitted shorter pistons. Performance wise they are spot on so much better than th crash stock items. Cant believe we are the only ones who had this problem, hopefully they will sort it out.

Well a little update today.

Big thanks to Bilstein UK for sorting me out quick sharp.
They called a couple of days ago to re-assure me that the modification they're doing is sound, does not effect performance of the dampers at all but they're still confused as to why the springs are so short on our cars as they have sold thousands of these presumably some to S3 owners and Mechanic69 and myself have been the only ones they're aware have needed shortened?

Anyway, another big box arrived this morning from them :)

IMAG0182_zpsmj0lbcf6.jpg~original

IMAG0183_zpsbmanv5zi.jpg~original

Much better!

Got the rears fitted there as had a couple hours spare before work this afternoon, hopefully get the fronts done tomorrow :)

IMAG0184_zpswt3nllzy.jpg~original

Happy days! :)

Nice one Muzza, glad you got it sorted, hope you like the difference. I'm well pleased with mine. really strange they haven't heard of this before!!!! good service of them to call personally though. Maybe there are loads of people who don't know they have fitted them wrong when they use shortened springs.

Good luck mate.

WARNING - MARMITE MOD

Haha, so done a little mod yesterday, not sure about it myself yet to be honest they may get ripped off.

I've always had wind deflectors on all my cars and found them to be very useful. As you know the A3 is a nightmare, you cant open the window at all in any kind of rain at all or when you use the windscreen wash as it just pours in.

So the options for the sportback:

Heko - low profile but rears are a crap fit, fly off at speed and they can scratch your glass being "in channel"
Climair - fronts are lower profile than the rear which looks odd, they're £90(!!!) and they can scratch your glass being "in channel"

So I found another company doing them called EGR Austrailia and got the full set for under £40, they're the stick on type rather than the in channel but very very secure (so secure i'll have a job removing them if I decide to lol), they stick out quite a lot though and I'm not sure it looks good. Very functional though and very quiet.

Anyway here's some pics:

IMAG0284_zps8axasyzi.jpg~original

IMAG0285_zpsjv4qbtsv.jpg~original

IMAG0283_zpsdrnrayvx.jpg~original

I've a feeling I might be ripping them off but I'll leave it a week or two see if they grow on me lol

I just wish Heko would sort out the rear ones from their set as they're nice and low profile, cheap and look good too IMO!