MV Sport turbo back exhaust system S3 2.0TFSi

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After much consideration, research and investigation, the time had come to adopt the full on stage 2+ specification, and get an exhaust system on the S3.

I've been a Milltek customer for some time, and whilst I have always enjoyed their products, I have seen evidence that maybe the mass production aproach they are choosing to adopt to keep pace with demand may be causing the odd teething problem.

So in the spirit that a change is as good as a rest, I have gone for something less commercially prominent, but from the initial stages of investigations, something equally well built.

MV Sports exhausts and software have a bigger presence in the BMW market than in the VAG scene right now, but with some key industry figures involved in their development process, they look to have an interesting future ahead of them.

I have spent some time with Mike Hodder from MV, and Mike who distributes these units out of Motech in Northamptonshire, and they have elaborated on how this system overcomes some of the weaknesses of the OEM exhaust. Photos will follow later including a review. For anyone interested in AudiSport discounts see the group buy section.

Will follow with a review in due course, but initial impressions purely from a perspective of build are very good.

Great company to deal with, Mike was very helpfull answering all my questions during the group buy period. I will be ordering my downpipe from them next week, had planned January but my DMF decided to break and empty my wallet lol. Cant wait to get it ordered and fitted up.

Davie

Only thread I could see was the Group Buy :confused:

I'll add a couple of photos and leave it there if it's already covered, but were some bits I found particularly interesting.

Last time I'd been under the car I'd had a look at the exhaust in profile and thought, 'thats not all bad'.

However it seems that the DP and cat actually present a far bigger issue than I'd originally given credit for.

Here is a close up of the OEM DP showing it's most constricted profile:

P1010049.JPG

When you compare this to an aftermarket DP it really demonstrates the constriction:

P1010050.JPG

The gold coloured metal on the OEM DP is actually heat shield, then there is an air gap before you get to the exhaust itself.

Up until recently I'd been getting some strange characteristics when I started to kick down in the mid range, almost like a hesitation that the increase in airflow had nowhere to go. Now I understand why.

When you sit the 2 systems side by side you can see the MV offers a much straighter and unrestricted flow channel for the air:

P1010051.JPG

Some more close ups:

1) DP
P1010053.JPG

2) Cats
P1010054.JPG

3) Cat back
P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

Car on the ramps
P1010060.JPG

Underside of the car with the MV Sport on:
P1010061.JPG

P1010063.JPG

P1010064.JPG

Tailpipes
P1010068.JPG

Initial impressions:

I haven't really had the chance to use this in any anger, and as yet I want to give thinks time to settle, bed in, and for the baffles to carbon up.

At regular speeds the car remains decently civilised, and on a motorway cruise you could be forgiven for thinking the pipework is pretty much OEM. However, drop a cog and put your foot down and an almighty roar kicks off as the car accelerates true and hard. All of the laziness of the poverty spec stage 2+ I was running is now gone. There is far more urgency, consistency of pull, and in the mid range the car no longer lags until it overcomes the restriction. I need to spend some time in the car to get over the 'newness' and provide some absolutely objective feedback, as so far I've only driven it with the OEM exhaust in the boot, the seats down, and the parcel shelf out, so it's not really a good gauge of a real world picture.

On a standard car the full system is reputed to offer 27bhp, and on a stage 2+ guesstimates were well up in the 30's. I have to say that this doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also the aftermarket MV is quite a bit lighter and less complex than the OEM unit, so there are weight benefits too.

The rumours that this is a Scorpion based product are not true. It's not a Blueflame, and it's not Magnex, but it is UK made :thumbsup: unlike some competitors. I have my suspicions as to who may be behind the design. The fitting agents were particularly complimentary about the finish and design of the exhaust, and they have no vested interest in it.

A massive shout out to RGS Motorsport for fitting the unit, they were a really great bunch and had a very interesting history (the head honcho used to be a test driver for Simtek F1).

And finally a big thank you to Mike and Mike at Motec / MV Sport for taking the time to explain the system to me, talk me through the development ethos, and spending the time to talk me through how MV Sport will be evolving as a company in the future. Expect to see them at stand 1 at GTi International in 2010. I'm always up for trying something new IF the sum of the parts add up, and given the price of this offering against its competitors, the build and the service, this is a very interesting contender that should not be overlooked if you're considering a full system in the future.

Reactions: HHS3
Thanks for that great read. Looks nice the tailpipes. If you don't mind what's the pricing like against the milteks?

Thanks for that great read. Looks nice the tailpipes. If you don't mind what's the pricing like against the milteks?

With the forum discount is is about £150 less.

Great review Warren. Is the center section resonated and did you notice any drone at cruising speeds?

didn't realise you get yours fitted already. Looking forward to the weekend for a proper test. Can't believe how queit it is at idle ( apart from a cold start and high idle) , but when you open it up it sounds sweeet. Definately a 20bhp increase at the minimum.

Great review Warren. Is the center section resonated and did you notice any drone at cruising speeds?

No it's not. If it had been 3" diameter piping I would have avoided it, but given the smaller girth and the overall quality of the unit it was a compromise I was prepared to make for the saving. I'm pleased to say one she's on cruise control there is no drone (thank god), or my b@lls would be on a chopping block after the last non res system I bought as she wasn't happy! :blahblah1:

Great, concise review a usual Warren, thanks Pal. The system looks excellent quality, very well manufactured and the tail pipes spot on.

Was your prop shaft removed for fitting the downpipe?

I have no idea. I don't think so, but it did take a long time to fit (about 1.5hrs). The DP is a bit of a sh1tter (so I was told). Didn't want to leave it to chance so paid £100 to get it fitted properly by people who have tools and skills.

The rumours that this is a Scorpion based product are not true. It's not a Blueflame, and it's not Magnex, but it is UK made :thumbsup: unlike some competitors. I have my suspicions as to who may be behind the design. The fitting agents were particularly complimentary about the finish and design of the exhaust, and they have no vested interest in it.

I think the Scorpion rumours are due to Mike Senior previously owning the UK Scorpion car distribution.

Do share your suspicions about who you think is behind the design - there's only so many manufacturers out there!!!

I think the Scorpion rumours are due to Mike Senior previously owning the UK Scorpion car distribution.

Do share your suspicions about who you think is behind the design - there's only so many manufacturers out there!!!

Well lets just say if you count out all the above, that only really leaves one small manufacturer that I'm aware of based around the Lancashire area, and he's been in the VW scene for years. And every time I've ever seen the bloke who owns it he has been wearing a beenie hat!!! Pipewerx???

I must say here, I could be wrong as they were adamant they were not going to give up the supplier, and fairplay to them.

Last edited:
Well lets just say if you count out all the above, that only really leaves one small manufacturer that I'm aware of based around the Lancashire area, and he's been in the VW scene for years. And every time I've ever seen the bloke who owns it he has been wearing a beenie hat!!! Pipewerx???

I must say here, I could be wrong as they were adamant they were not going to give up the supplier, and fairplay to them.

Could be Pipewerx... Mr Birch makes a good exhaust. Other option I thought it might be was Hayward & Scott. Not know so much in VAG circles, but they make nice stuff.

I had a conversation with Mike Jr, and despite prodding and suggestions he wouldn't tell me who made them either! I can understand why though.

Could be Pipewerx... Mr Birch makes a good exhaust. Other option I thought it might be was Hayward & Scott. Not know so much in VAG circles, but they make nice stuff.

I had a conversation with Mike Jr, and despite prodding and suggestions he wouldn't tell me who made them either! I can understand why though.

Sometimes some of the manufacturers will not want brand association in case the association with lesser brands devalues their reputation. Funnily enough I wouldn't see Mr Birch in this space as he's a regular everyday geezer. H&S could well be a shot, so thats got me thinking. Hmmm, I wonder.

I've known Mike for a few years now, and I could tell that he wasn't going to give it up so I just left it be. Can't tell you how nice it is. My last car had a full Milltek and this is EVERY bit as well made, and in some parts almost over-engineered.

My last car had a full Milltek and this is EVERY bit as well made, and in some parts almost over-engineered.

I'm confused, you said it was well made, now you're comparing to a Milltek. Which is it? ;)

Anyway whoever has made it, it looks great, pleased you're happy with it, and good to have a few more options out there for the S3.

Great stuff mate, didn't hang about then! ;) I look foward to some clips once you get a chance and hearing how liveable it turns out to be. Are you planning a trip to Daventry to get the map tweaked?

Great stuff mate, didn't hang about then! ;) I look foward to some clips once you get a chance and hearing how liveable it turns out to be. Are you planning a trip to Daventry to get the map tweaked?

:icon_thumright:

There's no time like the present, and procrastination had gone on for too long for my liking (as I thought I may not keep it). Once I changed my mind it was time to crack on!

Just want them (Revo) to check the map, and something where the idle keeps dropping down to 750rpm once full temp is reached. Probably nothing to do with the map, but they are the people who more than often have the answers).

:icon_thumright:

There's no time like the present, and procrastination had gone on for too long for my liking (as I thought I may not keep it). Once I changed my mind it was time to crack on!

Just want them (Revo) to check the map, and something where the idle keeps dropping down to 750rpm once full temp is reached. Probably nothing to do with the map, but they are the people who more than often have the answers).

And quite right too now you are decided. Just need to move south to where it's all happening I guess...:idea:

And quite right too now you are decided.

I found an interesting article about Milltek outsourcing a lot of their manufacturing to China, and last time I spoke with them it is something they denied doing. I felt a little bit let down really, hence why I bit the bullet elsewhere. It's not the issue that I think the Chinese stuff won't be of a standard, more a disappointment in what feels like a betrayal of trust. At least if you are doing something for good reason be open about it.

I found an interesting article about Milltek outsourcing a lot of their manufacturing to China, and last time I spoke with them it is something they denied doing. I felt a little bit let down really, hence why I bit the bullet elsewhere. It's not the issue that I think the Chinese stuff won't be of a standard, more a disappointment in what feels like a betrayal of trust. At least if you are doing something for good reason be open about it.

I know the article!

Looks identical to the Blueflames I have fitted before. Even the cat is the same. Blueflame do make exhausts for the like of Mongoose. Pipeworx is an ex Blueflame employee.

Anyway, looks great!!!

Final review update:

The first time I posted an update review on this product, the car had been full of OEM exhaust, with the rear seats down / parcel shelf off, so any initial impressions were going to be at best subjective.

I've had the chance to go out on some quiet roads and test this properly, and I will try and give a better appraisal of how things are settling in.

Firstly, as some of you will know from reading other posts, I've been suffering an inconsistent idle, and slightly blunted performance of late, and I was hoping this exhaust would provide the remedial cushioning to fix this issue (I remember another forum member with the same issue which was resolved by the fitting of a DP/cat). I was disappointed to find that whilst significantly improved, it did not resolve the issue. So the investigations kicked off, and after some searching there were 2 potential candidates.

1) The BSH catch can header plate
IMG_0484.JPG

Where the 90 degree angle bends for the outlet/inlet hoses for the catch can screw in, you have to trim down these threads (see pic above) to ensure they don't foul the engine block when you mount it, and force the header plate away from the PCV mount. If they do, there is a possibility that air may get in between the orange gasket and the BSH plate. I had these threads trimmed back further, then remounted. Tip for you guys, buy a Forge unit if you can afford it, it will be better!

2) This hose which sits under the Hitachi Fuel Pump body
DSC_9225.JPG

After hunting round the bay for leaks, it was identified there was a slight split in this highlighted hose (above). It's been on and off a couple of times over the years (fitting and unfitting DV's), and it appears it had become victim to an overzealous jubilee clip which I had inadvertently overtightened. This has now been replaced.

I'm pleased to say the idle is now sweet, and performance feels much sharper. I'm getting quite a bit of carbon blowing through onto my shiny new tailpipes, possibly a side effect of the air leaks that may have been present for some time.

Anyway, back to the main review.

1) How has the performance improved?
One word, and one I've not been used to using in exhaust appraisals for many years, 'radically'. There is a double edge sword here, so I'm going to try and be as objective as possible. Firstly I've been running stage 2+ without an exhaust for half a year. On reflection, and in hindsight, this was a foolish mistake I made. Previous encounters will an previous product on my last car had got my mindset in the space of '£1k for a glorified drain pipe', I'll do that last. For the record, and to Revo's credit, whilst this bought me time, I don't think it has been kind to the car, and probably quite counter-productive to the overall stage 2 package which has now been liberated. In comparison it almost feels like I've unleashed the beast!

So why do I feel this difference has been so significant? Given the DP & cat restrictions on the OEM exhaust, when you step up to stg 2+, you are chucking a lot more air into the system as well as a lot more fuel. When burned that all has to go somewhere, and it's my opinion that those gases were struggling to find their way past the restriction in the DP/cat. I wouldn't be surprised if due to the way the engine was having to work around this that power may have been back at around the 300-310bhp, as it had to compensate. Over 5,200rpm there was no urgency, and if you tipped the accelerator pedal from 3/4 depressed to kick down there was NO discernible increase in power to give. The plugs we removed at Xmas tell a story of their own (see pic below).

P1000735.JPG

The car is obviously adapting to it's new operating parameters, and what strikes me straight away is that there is a significant increase in power right across the rev band. Ignore the headline figure, I'm talking a total shift of the power curve upwards right the way across the curve, right up to 6,800rpm (and possibly beyond, but I'm nursing the DMF so don't know). When you look at the OEM and MV Sport side by side, you can see that there is going to be significantly less restriction (see below), and given I'd pushed this car to stage 2+, in conjunction with the knowledge it will go no further (don't want the associated issues poor old 'Big' Andy Oram suffered), it made sense to go for a performance focussed unit without a resonated centre section to give the best sustainable and MoT legal gains.

P1010051.JPG

Gone is any of the weakness, the pregnant pauses, the hesitations, the laziness. Adding the icing to the cake has helped to harmonise Revo's stage 2+ into something quite unbelievable. I know stage 2+ customers always wax lyrical about this spec stage, but it is truly testament to the time those guys spend making things right. Some within the industry don't buy into the Revo approach to mapping, but Nick at Revo has produced some of the best VAG code I've driven in the last 5 years; period. What this exhaust system helps to do is regulate the power of the map right across the accelerator pedal sweep in a quite linear and progressive way. You find yourself dabbing the pedal occasionally just to hear the exhaust burble into life, as all hell breaks loose underneath you :happy:

2) So what does it sound like?
Rude! But that is only half the story. When choosing mods for my car I have to ensure that those who put food on my table (e.g. the clients), don't feel they're blowing their annual budget on the Burberry Crusader who comes ploughing into their office car park once a week in a cloud of blue smoke, resonating gangster bass, and a McFlurry of txt spk! Even at the most basic levels, perceptions matter, and on the days I turn up at a corporate blue chip, or parking up outside Trader Vic's on Park Lane I want the S3 to be nothing short of understated quality. I'd been reassured that this system had very much a good split personality, and one which around town will not make you look and sound like an extra from the Blazin' Squad. Inside the cabin, whilst there is that inevitable resonance from stainless steel that you just don't get from OEM pipework, it is a meaty and purposeful sound that actually goes someway to giving the S3 a bit of the character I've always thought it lacked. I will do my best to get some sound clips up here (when I can recruit someone to local to ensure my camera / car don't expectedly fall under new ownership of opportunist pikeys).

Ramp up the rev count and the symphony really does pick up. What surprised me if that the system can be quite so civilised, yet come so alive with a short stab of the pedal. It really does sound lovely, and as you build the revs it gets slightly louder with each extra application of pedal (unlike some of the cheap imitations which just drone the minute you open the taps). The saving grace (to me), is that I can't find a point where there is any painful resonance. An old system I had used to drone horribly at 76mph. So I hear you say, do 80mph or 70 mph. 76mph is one of those zones (in a car without cruise control) that you seem to unconsciously drift in and out of. It used to annoy the f**k out of the missus, and after a time you found it a bit torturous. Fortunately I can report that with this system, whilst there is a slight change in note once the engine labours up a hill (on cruise), it is in no way painful or unpleasant, and once you return to the flat it is just business as usual. I can appreciate those who may have the OEM bug in terms of keeping it how you like it, but putting some polish on may be averse to the non resonated centre section. Don't be. Unless you are the sort of person who finds the Daily Mail a good read, writes in to Points of View (you don't care it's no longer on TV, you need someone to complain at!), your Mum still adjusts your collar and flattens your hair, and you like a hot milk before you go off to bed at 9pm, then don't be afraid to buy this. It has spades of character at exactly the right time, and to me the key selling point is that it handles it all so transitionally you will never look misplaced. Testament to a great design.

The man behind the can
As MV Sport aren't an instantly recognisable brand in the world of VAG, let me give you a little trip inside he world of MV Sport. Mike (Snr) at Motech in Wellingborough is one of those rare people you'd find it incredibly hard to dislike. Even via telephone (a poor medium for judging outright character) he strikes you as the sort of bloke who would bend over backwards to help if he can. In the flesh he's every bit as likeable, and one of those people who are in the industry, come rain or shine, not purely for the money but because they are passionate about cars. Whilst he's a BMW man :p (unlike his nephew Mike Jnr who is a VAG man!), his enthusiasm extends back to a day when modifications were far more mechanical engineering based (his professional qualification), than the bolt ons of today. And unlike some suppliers who live from a catalogue with little knowledge or passion, Mike has a real perception and understanding from years of race modifying various genres of M3 to quite extreme levels. Trust is the key element here, above any hype, and the way Mike enthuses about his product, and the passion for pursuit of creating something really special is something I wish I could bottle and sell to big corporate mass-producers. When I asked him why there was no option for a resonated mid section the look of horror on his face said to me that he's not a man for pandering to the masses, but he genuinely believes that what he's created should not be compromised, and it's that kind of unwavering personal belief that gave us the likes of brands 'Abarth', 'Quattro' and 'Project Golf Sport' - the eventual Mk1 GTi. He's spent years in the industry, and a great deal of those supplying exhausts, so he understands this area very well, and from my personal experience this in reflected in the quality of his product.

I know there is something of a leap of faith to be bold enough to try something new, especially when blowing up to a grand, but what pains me is that people will happily jump on a bandwagon like lemmings off a cliff to get the statutory 'badge of honour', without realising that there are specialists out there who can provide an equally accomplished product, sometimes even better, but the need for badge kudos extends beyond sensibility and reason. If you have eyes in your head, a basic concept of quality management, and an inquisitive nature to your questioning, you can usually spot a lemon from a gem without too much trouble. I appreciate we often buy from pictures off the net (as shows aren't always local / few and far between), but don't be afraid to ask suppliers for detailed web shots, and an overview of their design principles.

Verdict
I've been pleasantly supplied with my modifications in 2009/10. The ITG was a revelation against the Carbonia I had fitted previously. The high pressure fuel pump upgrade really moved the game along. Revo stage 2+ has now transpired to be a masterpiece of coding, particularly now it has been liberated by the very special MV Sport. It looks great, sounds great, is UK designed and made, and shows that there is more to exhausts than the inevitable 'M' word that we so often hear tediously banded about on VAG forums like a divine right to acceptance to the 'in crowd'. I'm genuinely pleased to have been drawn to this by complete accident (through a forum group buy), so thanks to whoever identified this product (Davey Phillips :icon_thumright:), you've opened my eyes and I'm grateful. There will be no rolling road plot as 'I know' there is around a 30bhp on tap here (20 years gut feel), and I just don't buy RR figures. I'll leave the 1/4 mile to tell the story later in the year.

And finally, learn from my mistake, stay at stage 1 code until you can afford full stage 2+, I went against the recommendations of Revo to try it out, and it didn't quite deliver (and probably has caused me ball ache as a result). What is even better, is that whilst buying a really beautifully designed and executed product, I feel like I've made another really decent industry 'friend' in Mike. So as a result, from my overall experience; the product and the aftercare service comes highly recommended.

Last edited:
Brilliant write up mate, Im ordering my downpipe Monday :) Glad my groupbuy has helped you out. Cant wait to get the DP fitted. My Autotech internals will come next week so will hopefully be 2+ by early March :jump:

Cheers Davie

Fantastic write up Warren :thumbsup:

Excellent write up there Warren. Spot on about everything. I'm still bemused as how to quiet it is at normal idle/motorway with no booming, but lets up a nice roar when you floor it.
Obviously its a very well designed product. My car just has a stage 1 generic map but there's a good 20 -25bhp increase to be felt from the seat of the pants.
Can't wait to have a race against my mate's Z4 coupe 3.0si and Boxster S.
Also cheers for the head up Dave on the GB, although slightly skinto this month because if it!

Hi Warren, thanks for the great write up, really useful... I had been planning the Miltek route but this is making me think twice! Where abouts did you get the exhaust fitted - I am based around the Surrey/Berkshire border so imagine it's probably not too far from me.

Cheers.

Great write up! Had me glued to te screen!

Ordered my downpipe today :) Mike from MV Sport was brilliant to speak to and has been the most helpfull company i have used yet, very very positive and you could tell he is very switched on and interested in what he does.
Whilst i was talking away with him today i mentioned how i thought the DP was a good idea as it keeps the OEM look as you are using the standard cat back.
I was saying there arent any perfromance cat backs available with OEM style tips that i know of bar the BB motorsport cat back that comes in at £1500+ and mentioned that if they had a catback available with OEM style tips i would have it in a second and he said they could do this as an option for people who are looking for the OEM + look if there was enough interest.

I dont know if im a minority wanting to keep the OEM style tips or not, i know from reading through various VAG forums that OEM + is always what people look to achieve and i personally think that if MV produced a cat back with OEM style tips it would be very popular. Mike really does come across as someone who will bend over backwards to make sure you are 100% satisfied. Real big thumbs up for Mike at MV Sport :icon_thumright:

Davie

I dont know if im a minority wanting to keep the OEM style tips or not, i know from reading through various VAG forums that OEM + is always what people look to achieve and i personally think that if MV produced a cat back with OEM style tips it would be very popular.

Davie

OEM '+' seems to be an emerging fashion, but if I'm brutal, I'm not so sure I buy into it. From a cosmetic perspective I want the car to look Audi-esque as that is the reason I bought an Audi in the first place (a blend of looks with performance).

The only thing I would say is that there is part of me that says that I'm not so sure there isn't room for the interpretation of the specialist manufacturer looking to make their product recognizable (e.g. brand identity). If I'd turned up at MV sport and seen an exhaust a rocket booster from a Saturn 5 rocket glued to the back (see most Saxo's and you'll know what I mean), I'd have run a mile. However now I have the new pipework on show, their is a sense of added purpose about the car, particularly to those who have a deep routed interest in mechanics and engineering. The pipes are nicely finished, and whilst they are larger than OEM, its not a full on visual assault (you won't have to be frightened that you'll find illegal immigrants harboured in the pipework if you do a booze cruise to Calais on your way back through customs!).

It's a really difficult call, as everyones personal aspiration for their car is different, but personally I think brand recognition is one of the most important attributes of a company's statement of intent.

Great write up, although i havent really got the patients to write as much as Warren, I can only second his comments on this product and on mike. I had the full system fitted a few months ago to my edition 30 golf and he couldn't do enough for me. He still emails regularly to see how the product is working for me. As most guys on here I was looking for the stage 2 and was very close to the "M" word but saw theses guys and very very happy! I thought I had a problem with the system (turned out to be a lose oxygen sensor screw so no prob at all!) He came running over to RGS motor sport in a matter of seconds with a new down pipe, no questions! Really really top company! Dont worry warren, my lovely tailpipes are a little darker now too!:crying:

I can echo the comments of Warren and baldwined30. I had the full MV Sport system fitted on Monday and I love it. Mike was great, really helpful and friendly and the guys at RGS did a great job fitting the exhaust. It has made a huge amount of difference to the power yet there is no drone or booming when cruising at motorway speeds.

The only thing that isn't 100% for me at present is the fact that the tail pipes stick out a bit far on mine. However, this is in part (I think) to the fact I still have the original 2005 S-Line bumper (or the Sport one with the rub stips) which isn't as deep at the bottom. This will be changed though as soon as I can find a replacement and I'll be fitting the S3 diffuser like ChrisBrown has done. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Overall though, highly recommended and although I have no direct experience of Miltek, I don't regret my decision to opt for MV-SPort at all.