Music on SD Card

thefunkygibbon

Reaction score
So i've taken the 128gb SD card from my 2014 Cupra and put it into my new S5 and it is only seeing a random selection of music on it. It's already in folder Artist>Album>.mp3 structure.

Any idea why it's not seeing everything? I've seen that the older MMI's couldn't handle more than 32gb or 4000 files. But given that that is an older system and the Cupra's system read stuff just fine... i'm struggling to think that the Audi would be worse in this respect?? thoughts?

cheers in advance

Works fine on my A3, I just drag the apple music folder over to the sd card.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

So i've taken the 128gb SD card from my 2014 Cupra and put it into my new S5 and it is only seeing a random selection of music on it. It's already in folder Artist>Album>.mp3 structure.

Any idea why it's not seeing everything? I've seen that the older MMI's couldn't handle more than 32gb or 4000 files. But given that that is an older system and the Cupra's system read stuff just fine... i'm struggling to think that the Audi would be worse in this respect?? thoughts?

cheers in advance

Does the card work OK in your computer?

I have an SD card in my A5, exactly the same file structure as you and all is good.

One option is to take the files off the SD card, reformat the car then transfer the files back across?

thats what i was tempted to do, but its just a big ol ball ache. 128gb being transferred to sd will take forever.

what format is yours in? mine is currently in exfat, it worked ok in the Seat. but i guess thats not to say it'd work ok in the Audi. despite being able to see folders and play some of the content. could format to fat32 though if it helps.

i've checked on my pc and the mp3's on the card work fine. the folders which the MMI are claiming to be empty/containing no supported files are most definitely there and work ok. and they're not named or encoded in any strange way. at least the one album i've checked doesnt seem to be any different to one that plays fine on the MMI.

Well thats what I will try next, but Windows only formats media in ExFat with no option to Fat32 it up. so its a bit silly to expect people to do that. (i've the ability to format as fat32 but would go as far to say that a majority of people wouldn't easily be able to!)

So it seems that file format isn't the issue, but the limit of 10,000 files is. great. waste of a 128gb card then it seems given that 10,000 would fit on a 64 quite happily.

what format is yours in? mine is currently in exfat, it worked ok in the Seat. but i guess thats not to say it'd work ok in the Audi. despite being able to see folders and play some of the content. could format to fat32 though if it helps.

Mine is FAT32

For the transfer - set it going have your evening meal, format it then set it going copying back overnight and it'll be ready for morning!!

nah man it's def number of files is the issue. how many you got on your card?

Just seen your link above. I've got around 5-6000 or so.

32GB card

Ah ok. There we go then. :(

I've managed to cull down to about 10k files. Not sure what I'll do to fill up the other 60gb spare on the card. Might stick some kids videos on there to keep them happy when driving long distances.

Pretty annoyed with the ipod situation. I've tried two ipods now and both claim to be unsupported. Although given i use spotify, I'm not sure why i care too much. just a shame that the MMI doesnt support spotify natively rather than Napster (i mean who uses that these days?!?)

I think the iPod is because they are okd(we) tech and Audi have decided not to support legacy which is a shame.

I share your frustration re Spotify. I'm guessing this'll be a corporate licensing issue. I might try a Napster trial to see if it is a better solution although I like Spotify and use it with my Sonos system at home so do t want two subscriptions.