Music failed to load

A3sportbackMark

Reaction score
Switching on the music in the car this morning, the MMI displayed the message

Loading Source
Please wait...

and I waited, the music never came.

I was attempting to play music from the SD card, changed the source to the AMI using a USB memory stick and then to the phone through Bluetooth.

Still I waited.

The radio, phone through BT and sat nav worked perfectly well.
Removed and replaced the SD card and USB stick, switched off engine and restarted, still no joy.

I left the car for 8 hours whilst at work, and when I returned everying was ok! :think:

Anyone else seen this?

Not specifically that but it did corrupt an SD card for me, and if I hadn't noticed then may have developed into the issue you are having.

Luckily I had a backup with all the folders & artwork so the card in there now has the write protect tab on. I don't know whether the system obeys that though; I know the early TomToms didn't.

John.

I haven't seen this but my sat nav froze while going round a roundabout joining the motorway on a trip back from Birmingham at the weekend. Tried turning it off (holding down the volume button) swapping sources etc but nothing!

Fortunately my fiancé was with me and the book was in the glovebox, so while doing 70mph down the motorway I got her to look up the resetting procedure for the MMI and cured it. I'm just glad I wasn't on my own as I hadn't memorised what buttons to press thinking I wouldn't need to know?

I think because of the amount of time you had left the car the MMI had fully shut down and then rebooted when you got back in it.

Regarding the SD card, has anybody had any experiences of performance improvements by using a higher read speed rated card?

I see quite drastic differences in price according to the read/write speed of the cards (same make and capacity)

High read and write speeds will only make a difference when initially copying the music onto the card from your computer.
The max bit rate of a mp3 is 320kb/s so as long as the card is faster than that (give or take) then it will be fine. A 'class 4' SD card, which is about the slowest you'll find these days is 4mb/s or 12.5 times faster than the highest data rate mp3 so it is more than fast enough. Now whether a faster card will appear more responsive when navigating through the tracks on the card is another matter.
Just because you have a faster card it doesn't mean the mmi will be able to take advantage of the extra speed and do anything helpful with it.

Rich

Regarding the SD card, has anybody had any experiences of performance improvements by using a higher read speed rated card?

I see quite drastic differences in price according to the read/write speed of the cards (same make and capacity)

I think the read/write speed (class) of the card is more relevant to cameras and DV recorders, I'm not sure it will make too much difference to music?

Buy the highest class/ fastest card u can.
Plenty fakes out there rebranded also.
Yes it might not make too much difference but really with storage u get what u pay for :)

High read and write speeds will only make a difference when initially copying the music onto the card from your computer.
The max bit rate of a mp3 is 320kb/s so as long as the card is faster than that (give or take) then it will be fine. A 'class 4' SD card, which is about the slowest you'll find these days is 4mb/s or 12.5 times faster than the highest data rate mp3 so it is more than fast enough. Now whether a faster card will appear more responsive when navigating through the tracks on the card is another matter.
Just because you have a faster card it doesn't mean the mmi will be able to take advantage of the extra speed and do anything helpful with it.

Rich

That's what I was trying to get at, navigating around I figured might be slightly quicker. Last year I switched to SSD's on my laptop and the speed at which files are accessed is noticeably quicker than before. Programs open in the blink of an eye etc... That's all down to the higher read/write speeds. I just didn't know whether the hardware running MMI would be the limiting factor. Does anybody know where I can find the specifications of the MMI system? Processors, memory etc...

Switching on the music in the car this morning, the MMI displayed the message

Loading Source
Please wait...

and I waited, the music never came.

I was attempting to play music from the SD card, changed the source to the AMI using a USB memory stick and then to the phone through Bluetooth.

Still I waited.

The radio, phone through BT and sat nav worked perfectly well.
Removed and replaced the SD card and USB stick, switched off engine and restarted, still no joy.

I left the car for 8 hours whilst at work, and when I returned everying was ok! :think:

Anyone else seen this?

Well, it's happened again!

As before I was incrementing (or decrementing) the track number being played using the small volume dial on the central console.

Same symptoms as before, this time I tried a factory reset on the media option, still no good. Was loathe to do an MMI reset for fear of loosing all my settings........or do you loose your settings?

Solved the problem by leaving the car, locking/unlocking, then music loaded. This is a bit impractical on the motorway!!!

I wonder if there is a software upgrade to fix this little issue.