Multitronic oil change

AudiiduA

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 3.0 multitronic, its just had oil changed and drives perfect! however, before the oil change it did have a fault! when driving slowly not a problem but under harder acceration there was a strange noise as it shifted gear as if it didnt have enough pressure to change quickly! i drove it yesterday and it seemed faultless!
BUT, could just changing the oil just mask the problem? just long enough for him to sell it?
the guy who gave me this info prior to the oil change was a guy i know that test drove it!
any advice or help is much needed,as im hoping to pick the car up tomorrow!
Oh also, should i drive it from cold say in the morning from overnight?
cheers for any help as always fellas
Lee:thumbsup:

Multitronics gearboxes are problematic, I should know I've got one. If they go wrong it can result in thousands of pounds in repair/replacement bills.

Things to be aware of

Does the PRND appear constant on the dashboard

When on an incline does she roll back

Does she judder or jerk

If the car appears to be doing any of these things you may have issues with the gearbox. The gearbox oil should be changed every 40,000 miles. There are lots of posts on this subject so use the search function.

I used to have a 1.9tdi Multitronic.

History -

Gearbox ECU and oil changed at 39K (Previous Owner)
Valve body replaced at 67k (By me and under warranty)
Vibration at 60mph - check wheel balance, etc. Took it to Inde Tech and diagnosed it as a failing transmission. New gearbox - £4k!!

Part ex'd the car and now have a tiptronic.

It was a great box when its working, butI would never buy another Multitronic car.
But my uncle has a 1.8T Multitronic and it has got 125k on the clock without any issues.

Multitronics gearboxes are problematic, I should know I've got one. If they go wrong it can result in thousands of pounds in repair/replacement bills.

Things to be aware of

Does the PRND appear constant on the dashboard

When on an incline does she roll back

Does she judder or jerk

If the car appears to be doing any of these things you may have issues with the gearbox. The gearbox oil should be changed every 40,000 miles. There are lots of posts on this subject so use the search function.

Hi, thanks for the info!:thumbsup: but should the car roll back on a incline? and do you mean when its in drive?
also the car did drive pretty cr*p untill he had gearbox oil changed! should i be warey??
Thanks again for all you fellas help, as its givin me a headache deciding what to do??

it might be alright now, but I would not risk it. Might cause issues in the future.

I wonder how many people consider a Multitronic too great a risk but wouldn't think twice about buying a 1.8T, despite that engine's occasional habit of blowing up through oil starvation.

That said, I agree with Vinesh & others when they say this particular one might be a bit too risky. It's not enough to know it had an CVT oil change a few weeks ago. You need to see a documented history that it was done at least twice before, at or around 40,000 & 80,000. If the seller can't produce the evidence, it probably wasn't done, and that's probably why the box was behaving badly before the recent change. Walk away from this one, but don't fall into the trap of assuming they're all dodgy; they're not.

Last edited: