Multitronic fears

blackenedcrisp

Reaction score
Hi
Trying to upgrade from a 2002 A4 Avant B6 and just looked at a 2011 A4 2.0 TDi Multitronic 70,000 miles.
Absolutely stunning condition and I'm ready to buy but stalling as I've heard so many problems with that type of drive.
It's been well serviced and had the gearbox oil changed at 40K.
One extra thing to mention - it's been chipped up to 170bhp.

Thoughts please......

Be wary the extra power might add to the stress on the box

I'm not sure it's the stress that kills these boxes. It's the board inside that is submerged in the oil.

Some units overheat, some are broken down by the oil and the traces on the board lift.

Extrapower may cause more heat issues. I've no idea how many of these boxes have actually failed it might only be a few compared to the number out there but you always hear about the broken ones.... And we do know how expensive it is when they do go.

I'm just not sure you can enjoy a car if you are in constant fear of a big bill. If at all worried don't buy it.

I'm not sure it's the stress that kills these boxes. It's the board inside that is submerged in the oil. Some units overheat, some are broken down by the oil and the traces on the board lift.

That sounds like the issue on the s-tronic gearbox (at least the early versions). Is it the same on the multitronic?

I have no experience of the multitronic but have seen a few problem reports on the forums. I believe the inherent problem with these CVT boxes is if the drive belt stretches or wears such that traction is reduced. That depends on what it is made of, and I admit I don't know for Audi's version. But certainly an increase in engine torque is going to increase stress on the belt.

Ive heard from some fellow Audi owners that the quattro multitronic is more reliable than in the FWD. You might want to check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like the issue on the s-tronic gearbox (at least the early versions). Is it the same on the multitronic?

I have no experience of the multitronic but have seen a few problem reports on the forums. I believe the inherent problem with these CVT boxes is if the drive belt stretches or wears such that traction is reduced. That depends on what it is made of, and I admit I don't know for Audi's version. But certainly an increase in engine torque is going to increase stress on the belt.
Are they belt-driven now? My 2003 B6 multi-tronic was chain-driven.

Reactions: jdp1962
Ive heard from some fellow Audi owners that the quattro multitronic is more reliable than in the FWD. You might want to check that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't realise Audi had started combining Multitronic with quattro. I always thought Multitronic was strictly front-wheel drive only.

i think they are a better box then the s-tronic which is a load of W**k ive had nothing but trouble with mine and as a result im selling the car as to repair it is a 5k bill ......