Multitronic - Differences between B6 and B7 versions

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

I have a 2004 B6 130tdi with multitronic, that Im very used to. I have the S mode as well as D (i understand early versions only had D) as well as tiptronic controls, both at the gearstick and at the Steering wheel.

My best mate however, just picked up a gorgeous 05 black B7 1.8T with multitronic this week..

and what neither of us expected were the differences..

He doesnt have the steering wheel controls - fair enough, that was an option.

BUT - the multitronic is no longer the smooth seamless flow that it was!

It appears that in order to pander to popular taste, and the 'feel' of a conventional auto or DSG, the box no longer behaves as a CVT, but has been programmed to behave like a normal auto.

To clarify - on mine, in drive or in S, the revs will go to whatever point the power demanded dictates, and remain there without wavering - while the speed catches up perfectly smoothly.. If I switch to tiptronic mode though, it acts like a normal 6 speed box, changes to the next ratio being triggered by the various tiptronic controls, or by kickdown, or it will change itself at the appropriate revs, just like a DSG.

On his new one - the Box ALWAYS acts like mine does in tiptronic mode - with the 'simulated' gear ratios, acting and feeling like a traditional auto.. Its also changed to 7 ratios instead of the 6 on mine.

We were both a little disappointed - while his is just as rewarding in tiptronic mode, taking control - it now lacks the finesse and smoothness in normal driving that the older multitronic has..

Its not a huge issue, just seems almost a shame - the old one gives you the best of both worlds - the new is still a lovely box, but just has artificially masked what was a great attribute.

Mind you.. that B7 does look GREAT in Black, alu trim and window trim, RS4 type 18" wheels.. yum!

Now, funny you say that, I had a 2.0tdi s-line the other day and when I took it back I asked if it was a tiptronic box as it changed more like a tip than the multi I have had on 3 audis, the guy said no but I thought it weird.

I noticed the same in A6, in S-mode it changed "gears" and wasn't smoothly at 5500rpm or something (I drove the 2,4), but on the D-mode it behaved like I was expecting it to, staying at the 4000rpm when accelerating.

Sad that S-mode isn't doing that anymore.