Multitronic Box 2.0TDi

chasdrury

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking at a 2.0Tdi C7 - in the family we've a BiTDI with the 8 speed box that's as smooth as silk.

Now, we need a big car that's good on fuel so the 3 Tdi doesn't really fit the bill - the 2.0 177 is perfect. However, I really want an auto, but am slightly worried about the previous horror stories of the multitronic boxes in previous years - what's the reliability like in the C7 - is it better than previous models or not.

Should I stick to manual - I don't think i can stretch to a FL S-Tronic......

Also, if it has the smaller Nav Screen can it be upgraded in the future - not many cars around with the MMI 3G+ thingy or wahtever it's called now!

Cheers

Chas

Can't help you unfortunately but I am also wondering the same thing. I'm going to buy an A6 this year and am wondering whether I should spend ~20k on a multitronic or dig a bit more down the back of the sofa to get a FL S-tronic. Not sure if the my reasons are the same as yours but I'm pretty much discounting the 14 plate S-Tronics because they're not much cheaper than the FL models but don't have the new look.

Same boat as me... I don't mind if it's Fl or not actually as I like pre facelift too.... Might look out for those then

Same boat as me... I don't mind if it's Fl or not actually as I like pre facelift too.... Might look out for those then

I like the pre-FL look too for sure, although I prefer the rear, twin tailpipe multitronic look to the pre-FL S-Tronic rear with split exhausts.

From what I have read these newer multitronics should be fairly reliable and are definitely a step up from the CVTs of mid-late 00s Audis.

I'm more concerned about the lack of feeling in driving them tbh, should be taking one for a test drive this weekend so I'll check back in after that :)

Test drove the Multitronic today. Car was a 63 plate black edition Avant.

Compared to my 2009 3 series manual BMW it felt awesome. Acceleration was good (it felt quicker than my car, same size engine but lighter), manual mode seemed pretty fun and I was all around very impressed with the car. I'll be trying to test drive an S Tronic soon and I'll still go for a FL S Tronic if I find I can justify the cost but I was very impressed with what I saw of the multitronic and I definitely won't be averse to buying one if it comes to it!