Multichanger And Cd-r

Tank.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Got an A6 C6 with multichanger and originally when I got the car was using Maxell discs. My songs were burnt from iTunes with the standard burn settings and using track info as well for the MMI display.

After changing to tesco own brand CD-R my multichanger initially struggled to even load the CD's and gives me minimal track info.
I loaded 3 CD's into the changer, one of which had all the track info on the display. The other two pick and choose which track names to display and the tracks can be different every time I change and go back to that disc.

Does this sound like poor discs, bad burn settings or possibly a problem with the changer?

It did previously go into component protection when the missus put two discs in and it refused to read them at all, just came up with an empty slot despite discs being in the changer

If you had no problems with Maxwell discs, then it must be the new discs. As you are still burning them the same way as before (software & CD burner), check by buying an individual branded disc and see if any issues.

I did think that since the disc was the only variable i had changed that these may be the cause. Just found it strange that 1 out of the 3 tesco discs worked and the other two didnt.

Although i dont fully understand the speed setting is there an optimum speed for the multichanger?

I've never heard of a system going into CP from dodgy discs, that's very strange.

it might have not been dodgy discs, i dont know very much about all this yet, still learning, but certainly when it was scanned a couple months ago it was in component protection and when i asked the chap who scanned it he said it could be because it was burnt discs, or dodgy discs.

No fault suggesting its in component protection now though, can it come on and go off itself?

If (and that's a big IF) it is CP, then you are going to have to get that recoded out by either Dealer or someone with full VAS (not VCDS).

My guess CP was just an old error code that was never cleared, You would know if the CD changer was in CP as you the audio would cut out every 2-3 seconds.

Reactions: gupsterg
after trying several variables, ive managed to come to the conclusion that my CD-R drive that i was using was duff