MUCK OFF

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Just for info, "muck off", the motorcycle cleaner/mountain bike cleaner sold in Halfords strips wax quite effectively! It stripped the colly 476 I had on my avant. I my foam lance up with and sprayed it on the car, left it on for 5 mins and rinsed. Good stuff, and readily available from halfrauds! Just over a fiver too.

think its just you m8 i normally just use snow foam to strip down wax

I've used it on motorbikes and mountain bikes but never on a car.
Thought about using it for the alloys, engine or wheel arches.

What do you mean what you say strip down wax?

takes off the wax coating so all the polish wax etc will be taken off,

this way you have to re wax and detail the whole car i usually do it every 3 months how far its strips the wax down i dont know i use snow foam which i dont think attacks the wax that much but breaks down everything else ready for a full detail.

one bad note if you dont get the wax on that day = damaging paintwork, i allways plan ahead for a good day to do this

takes off the wax coating so all the polish wax etc will be taken off,

this way you have to re wax and detail the whole car i usually do it every 3 months how far its strips the wax down i dont know i use snow foam which i dont think attacks the wax that much but breaks down everything else ready for a full detail.

one bad note if you dont get the wax on that day = damaging paintwork, i allways plan ahead for a good day to do this

Sorry for the thread Jack phoenix. :)

Why do you want to remove the wax?
I all ways thought it was good to have it on there and more the better.

i think the whole idea is to remove any impurites that may get in the first coat of wax same as when you clay your car you remove the impurities although some are hard to remove as they stick in the wax.

Bi-annualy, I strip off the wax (used to use dodo juice strong wash-but its a pain in the **** as I had to get it mail order!), remove tar and tree saps etc via tardis (great stuff), clay to further remove impurities and polish by hand. I then re-apply a good wax (this time its Blackfire). I do this process twice a year, usually in the spring and the Autumn (a summer and winter protective detail respectively). Its good practice. Just takes a while (usually 2 days)!

i think it is a very good idea as when applying wax if you miss any bits or any impurities get under the wax and you keep banging layers and layers on the impurities are still going to be there so stripping the wax off and starting from scratch is very good idea

IPA wats that?

Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA) is an alcohol-based chemical cleaning agent esigned to remove oil and residue from painted surfaces.
After machine polishing it is useful to spray a 50:50 mix of IPA and water onto the paint to fully remove any traces of polish and oil residues from the compounds. IPA strips back the residues that can fill and mask minor imperfections showing the true condition of the paint.
It is also very useful to use IPA before applying a sealant or wax to allow the subsequent layers to fully bond giving increased durability to the finished product.
500ml

thas from Clean Your Car website

so would this only be effective on machine polish or hand polishing also?

its designed to remove all residues n comtaminants so would work well for either as far as my understanding it jus ensures the cleanest possible surface to apply ur products too its more used for machine work as the compounds leave more residues

im sure some 1 more knoweldgable will explain better :yes::thumbsup:

TBH I only use IPA on my windows. It is strong stuff and will more than likely strip the wax if you apply it (if you havnt stripped the wax off first!).

another good method told to by the guys in PRD is to use IPA before each wax coat this insures no inpurities are lurking on the body or in the wax coat

IPA will strip wax. Don't apply it between coats of wax as it'll remove the ones already there.

It's best applied after polishing, prior to wax application.

:)

so would you polish then ipa then pre wax and then wax?

or does the ipa act as a prewax?

so would you polish then ipa then pre wax and then wax?

or does the ipa act as a prewax?

Polish, then IPA to strip the polishing oils, ensuring you have true correction.

Some polishes 'fill' slight scratches, and these oils will, in time evaporate - this is often referred to as drop back.

Pre wax cleaner next as it'll leave a base layer, ready for wax application. Many pre-wax cleaners are deliberately oil rich to ensure better bonding between them and the wax; hence better durability.

:)

would this ipa stuff be essential if i was using p1 nano polish? as it doesnt contain any fillers

would this ipa stuff be essential if i was using p1 nano polish? as it doesnt contain any fillers

I have no idea about P1 but I'm sure it'll have some kind of polishing/lubricating oils in it - IPA should be a vital step after polishing.

Gtechniq P1 is a water based polish rather than oils and they state it doesn't contain any fillers however I always use IPA just to ensure that 'drop back' doesn't happen and that the area has been corrected. Tbh I use IPA throughout a detail rather than at the end to check work as your going along.

In regard to hand polishing most polishes on the Market would generally contain fillers as it makes the job a lot easier, therefore if you use IPA after it's going to undo some of your hard work. Best to wax/ seal in as eventually over time the fillers will wash out anyway.

Other reasons for wanting to strip off the wax / polish besides the general 2 times a year would be if your looking to try a new product. You'll always get a better result by preparing the surface and by ensuring there is no contamination means that the results will be much better.

In regard to layers of wax ideally 2 to 3 layers as more is just a waste

Last edited: