Help Please MTEC disks/pads question

MagpieMatt

Reaction score
Just ordering my new set of disks and pads seeing there worn and lipped. Ive checked my production codes and I have the 314mm disks.

Ive gone for the the drilled and grooved disks = MTEC1583

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/a4-08-12/a4-1-8t-fsi-03-08-08-12.html

However I'm struggling with the pads themselves though.

Whats the difference between MTECPAD4168 (£43.94) and MTECPAD4178 (£26.72) ?

I'll be ordering them in the morning hopefully, anyone ever had issues etc?

Thanks

Matt

Buy normal discs with no drill and grooves, and buy good pads instead. Green stuff or Red stuff and smooth discs is perfect.

There is absolutely zero point in buying drilled, slotted or grooved discs. They cost you a lot more, and give you worse brakes.

Buy normal discs with no drill and grooves, and buy good pads instead. Green stuff or Red stuff and smooth discs is perfect.

There is absolutely zero point in buying drilled, slotted or grooved discs. They cost you a lot more, and give you worse brakes.

I wouldn't buy drilled discs as they are more likely to crack - but I would buy dimpled and slotted again. They do make a difference especially in wet weather. Had the Mtecs on my A4 - noisy but worth it in my option.

I chucked a set of Brembo pads in there - wouldn't buy mtec pads as they could be mintex.

Or go for the S4 setup.....could be overkill on a 1.8 though :stupid:

Well they look a lot better so I wouldn't exactly say there is "zero point".

Just ordering my new set of disks and pads seeing there worn and lipped. Ive checked my production codes and I have the 314mm disks.

Ive gone for the the drilled and grooved disks = MTEC1583

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/a4-08-12/a4-1-8t-fsi-03-08-08-12.html

However I'm struggling with the pads themselves though.

Whats the difference between MTECPAD4168 (£43.94) and MTECPAD4178 (£26.72) ?

I'll be ordering them in the morning hopefully, anyone ever had issues etc?

Thanks

Matt

I have heard a lot of Good things about MTEC discs, although I would personally go for Drilled as opposed to Drilled+Grooved.

What coating are you opting for?

Also, as regards pads - why not go with EBC Redstuff, from what I've read and heard , it's the pads that make more of a difference than the discs and the Redstuff are one of the best you can get

I went the M-tech drilled option with EBC ultimax pads all round. Definitely an improvement on the std set up. Bite seems a lot quicker...

I certainly would say EBC pads are good pads, I fond their performance to be poor, there are many better options out there.

Impressed with the DS 2500 pads I have on the front at the mo.

Reactions: youngsyp
Is the improved braking not simply the better pads? I have used MTEC disc before on a previous vehicle with EBC pads and they warped twice. I have just changed the S4's front stoppers with Brembo pads and discs and thus far am very happy. They did get a tad hot on a recent piston heads event. I believe this is common on the S4 and there are additional cooling options.

Reactions: Meemo
I have spoken to plenty who have had drilled mtecs and no issues, clearly i got superiourly unlucky... but my experience as shared on here 3 years ago..

I had nothing but trouble with my mtec drilled and grooved, went through 10 disks, 6 at the front on the front, they very literally tore chunks out of the pads, tried their mtec pads, gen audi ones etc..
they would be fine for a few weeks then vibrate dangerously. MTEC confirmed they was on correctly, and clearly accepted liability by giving a partial refund after fighting them.
when it started on the final set (bearing in mind this in all in under 6 months) i gave up, put on some pagid disks and pads... 3 years on the problem never came back.. very expensive lesson and I wouldn't buy again..

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...read-picture-heavy.237623/page-3#post-2530001

under 100 miles did this to pads..
7DEE1B5C-0336-4CC5-B0F3-D38FCA3C0118_zpskg9egpmk.jpg

Impressed with the DS 2500 pads I have on the front at the mo.
After using these in the wife's Exige, they'll be what I'll be fitting to the S4 for some more stopping power.

As for discs, I really like the Zimmermann 'drilled' Coat-Z items. They have the holes cast in so no issues with cracking and they look OEM, due to the hole pattern and size. They're also very good value.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/zimmermann/1738393

Paul

Last edited:
After using these in the wife's Exige, they'll be what I'll be fitting to the S4 for some more stopping power.

As for discs, I really like the Zimmermann 'drilled' Coat-Z items. They have the holes cast in so no issues with cracking and they look OEM, due to the hole pattern and size. They're also very good value.

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/zimmermann/1738393

Paul
Ooooh, tasty!