MRC Tuning Quote

LSBasi

Reaction score
4DEF5E10 C7FD 459F 976F E9BC2E22572E

BA634C1C 6469 47DE 809C 34BB87F14D2F
(I trust MRC would have no problem with me sharing this. If anyone knows any different, please let me know)

Question Time:-

Ive been quoted for a Gearbox tune which I was not expecting.
What exactly can I expect from this tune?

How much effect can a tune have on a gearboxes longevity?

Anyone out there not recommend getting this tune?

And overall what do you guys think of the pricing of my order?

Cheers guys, all feed back appreciated

View attachment 193523
View attachment 193524 (I trust MRC would have no problem with me sharing this. If anyone knows any different, please let me know)

Question Time:-

Ive been quoted for a Gearbox tune which I was not expecting.
What exactly can I expect from this tune?

How much effect can a tune have on a gearboxes longevity?

Anyone out there not recommend getting this tune?

And overall what do you guys think of the pricing of my order?

Cheers guys, all feed back appreciated
I think you'll need the gearbox map. It will increase clamping pressures which is needed, as even at stage 1, people have reported clutch slip.

Reactions: LSBasi
Quoted me same.

The downpipe is a big job so is priced right in my eyes.

Reactions: LSBasi
100% you want the gearbox map, I'd be surprised if they would even map it without, especially at that discounted price. Not sure how much drivability changes MRC make but if it's like others the car feels alot better with it as well.

My only surprise is the power, I would have anticipated once the GPF stuff is removed the 19/20 models make similar power. If you go ahead it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Do you have an intercooler and intake already?

100% you want the gearbox map, I'd be surprised if they would even map it without, especially at that discounted price. Not sure how much drivability changes MRC make but if it's like others the car feels alot better with it as well.

My only surprise is the power, I would have anticipated once the GPF stuff is removed the 19/20 models make similar power. If you go ahead it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Do you have an intercooler and intake already?

Cheers for the input on the gearbox map

I’ll purchase a panel filter before MRC put their map on. As for intercooler, I’m not planning on one and if I’m honest I’m not looking for such big gains like MRC have quoted. I was only planning on a Stage 1.

I’d be happy with 30bhp gain and CEL being removed after down pipe and decat

I’m not chasing power figures as much as I’m chasing making the RS3 a greater experience, the car is already rapid and I’m not planning on track or drag days

Reactions: D0C
I can see that tuning the GPF cars will be more expensive mainly because owners will want to make the car sound better by replacing the exhaust and incur the cost of the workshop time to fit it. This was not a priority on the FL car and a stage 1 tune would produce 470/480ps for just £650.

My friends FL car was tuned by MRC to stage 1, it produced 472ps and around 670nm. It has no uprated IC or the DSG map and runs consistent 11.2 secs runs at Santa Pod. It's not until the fourth or fifth run that the heat soak begins to affect performance.
I would say that considering you are not wanting to track or race the car then the stock DSG settings would be good enough for the power figures you have been quoted. Not sure what panel filter you would use (BMC or K&N?) but I would recommend avoiding foam ones as they tend to deteriorate after a while and pieces can get sucked into your intake. As for intakes, you don't have much option at the moment as most companies are having to redesign their offerings due to the changed pipework connections on the GPF cars (more emissions stuff I suspect)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8YARWY
I can see that tuning the GPF cars will be more expensive mainly because owners will want to make the car sound better by replacing the exhaust and incur the cost of the workshop time to fit it. This was not a priority on the FL car and a stage 1 tune would produce 470/480ps for just £650.

My friends FL car was tuned by MRC to stage 1, it produced 472ps and around 670nm. It has no uprated IC or the DSG map and runs consistent 11.2 secs runs at Santa Pod. It's not until the fourth or fifth run that the heat soak begins to affect performance.
I would say that considering you are not wanting to track or race the car then the stock DSG settings would be good enough for the power figures you have been quoted. Not sure what panel filter you would use (BMC or K&N?) but I would recommend avoiding foam ones as they tend to deteriorate after a while and pieces can get sucked into your intake. As for intakes, you don't have much option at the moment as most companies are having to redesign their offerings due to the changed pipework connections (more emissions stuff I suspect)

Even if I had the FL I’d still want to remove the primary and secondary cats. So price wise would more than likely be similar

I’m glad you mentioned about foam filters as I had this APR filter in mind (pretty sure it’s foam)
9BEBA21D 3B1E 4A95 8A3C F661B1436CAD

I’ve used K&N on my MK3 RS and it looked like it would struggle to stop sand, let alone particles in the air

I’m not tracking or dragging the car but I certainly drive my cars on the ragid edge and with the discount on the gearbox remap, it feels like a good move

Even if I had the FL I’d still want to remove the primary and secondary cats. So price wise would more than likely be similar

I’m glad you mentioned about foam filters as I had this APR filter in mind (pretty sure it’s foam)
View attachment 193546

I’ve used K&N on my MK3 RS and it looked like it would struggle to stop sand, let alone particles in the air

I’m not tracking or dragging the car but I certainly drive my cars on the ragid edge and with the discount on the gearbox remap, it feels like a good move

The BMC panel filters are well made (MRC sell them too). If you like to stretch the cars legs then I agree the DSG map would be a good choice....... some people feel that they have to have the DSG map but they only occasionally drive their car hard and rarely ever launch it (if at all) so probably not needed at the lower stages of tune for some owners.

The BMC panel filters are well made (MRC sell them too). If you like to stretch the cars legs then I agree the DSG map would be a good choice....... some people feel that they have to have the DSG map but they only occasionally drive their car hard and rarely ever launch it (if at all) so probably not needed at the lower stages of tune for some owners.

Agree on the BMC.

I ditched the Pipercross foam one after MRC told me about them disintegrating and being ingested by the engine.

IMG 7100

Reactions: Beebee-one

I’m running K&N, I was recommended to go for that by the local indi.. he said go for the ‘tried and tested’ one.

How does K&N compare to BMC?

I’m running K&N, I was recommended to go for that by the local indi.. he said go for the ‘tried and tested’ one.

How does K&N compare to BMC?

The K&N panel filter is ok but the BMC version feels and looks just that bit better quality. To be honest, adding a panel filter to the stock airbox on stage 1 & 2 tunes does not make a massive difference in power gains (maybe a handful of bhp) and is best combined with larger air intake pipe.

Reactions: FBF01
The K&N panel filter is ok but the BMC version feels and looks just that bit better quality. To be honest, adding a panel filter to the stock airbox on stage 1 & 2 tunes does not make a massive difference in power gains (maybe a handful of bhp) and is best combined with larger air intake pipe.

That’s interesting, thanks... when it’s time to change I will try the BMC. Is it foam or a fabric filter? I know the K&N can be cleaned but I’ve been advised not to do that also, apparently it’s tricky to get the oil right and by the time you buy a kit just better to buy a new one.

Waiting to be told how pointless it is me having one by somebody, but I’m not mapped. My car is stock, it adds a little induction noise for very little and that’s a welcome improvement :)

I wish my pockets were deep enough to comfortably risk losing the warranty.

I

I wouldn’t think of a panel filter in terms of gaining bhp.. as much as I’d think of it as a tool to help the engine not work so hard (as a result you gain a few bhp) but the bigger picture is reducing a small amount of stress, especially when tuned

Reactions: A3SBQ
Agree on the BMC.

I ditched the Pipercross foam one after MRC told me about them disintegrating and being ingested by the engine.

View attachment 193552
Can’t see compatibility for the new OPF cars just the previous DAZA engine, do you think it would be exactly the same and that this would fit the new OPF cars?

Can’t see compatibility for the new OPF cars just the previous DAZA engine, do you think it would be exactly the same and that this would fit the new OPF cars?

Can't imagine airbox size changing from 2018 - 2019 models to be honest.

You want the link to the seller i bought mine from ?

PM sent.:friends:

Reactions: Riko0073