MRC stage 1

D0C

Reaction score
After much debate, I decided to treat my PFL RS3 to an MRC stage 1 custom tune.

Surprise surprise, the car ran more than the claimed figures, coming in at 380ps and 498nm of torque.

Once Doug had finished, the car was running 439ps and a whopping 630nm of torque. Taking a closer look at the charts shows just how impressive the map really is. At 4500rpm I am seeing gains of 110ps and 180nm of torque!

I very briefly tried a tuning box and couldn't tell any difference. However, the map is just insane. Admittedly my tyres are well past their best and it's wet outside, but the car now wants to light up in 3rd gear. The best way to describe it, is by saying that 3rd gear now feels like 2nd gear previously. You have to now consciously consider if it is safe to use full power in second gear in the wet, such is the violence of the power.

Also had a brief run against an 2015 S8 and was edging away from a 30mph roll.

For those considering a remap, providing you can get around the warranty worries, you will not be disappointed. The car is now rabid.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    972 KB · Views: 839
Reactions: LSBasi, Beebee-one, PanamaS3 and 5 others
Lol the car must be hilarious now!

TX.

Edit - tbf I rarely give even my standard car full beans as it is just bonkers quick anyway, far too quick for the Queens Highway imho. When I do find myself next to another fast car I need to seriously shake my head just to remember to put foot to the floor!

Reactions: T-800 and DW81
thats some mighty impressive gains.....falling in love all over gain lol....nice chrimbo present to thee....have fun and try to take it easy (not)

Reactions: DW81 and D0C
Nice gains D0C Any hardware for the stage 1? Intake pipe, filter etc?

Reactions: PanamaS3
They have done well to get 439 on a straight remap. Well done!

There is a chap near me with excellent credentials on VW Rs who will be taking mine up to a stage 2 or thereabouts, but he is interested to see the difference made by each component I add on. Like you, the standard car hit somewhere between 375 and 380.The first mod I made is stronger spring in the fuel pump which made a little difference but not much. Then Wednesday I added an Eventuri intake which to all our surprises shot the peak PS to over 420. A bit of fine tuning raised this even more! The i/c is next with a scorpion down-pipe and sports cat to follow and some final fine tuning will/should get the 460 I am looking for.

For the final tune, I have asked that he finds more low end power, even if sacrificing something higher up is necessary. Not sure what is possible though. Maybe not much as wherever it can be found will require the turbo to kick in earlier. Barring a rebore, I am not sure this is possible on the standard turbo and a smaller turbo would just take too much off the top end. We shall see.

Even with the car tuned now to maybe a stage 1, like you I noticed immediately the little extra grunt in second gear. Which is good and what I wanted above all else. I think I shall have to consider a serious remap of the gearbox to enable it to get into third gear a little earlier where the early power will be at its best. The only snag here is that my chap, whilst content to get the most out of the engine is not that confident with gearboxes..!

Nice gains D0C Any hardware for the stage 1? Intake pipe, filter etc?
No hardware other than secondary decat pipes, which he was adamant wouldn't make any difference other than more noise. I must admit, even I am wondering if it is perhaps a touch too loud now, not so much when accelerating but when downshifting which I reckon would kill a OAP on a drive by downshift!

Reactions: LSBasi, Rayner_1704 and PanamaS3

There is a chap near me with excellent credentials on VW Rs who will be taking mine up to a stage 2 or thereabouts, but he is interested to see the difference made by each component I add on. Like you, the standard car hit somewhere between 375 and 380.The first mod I made is stronger spring in the fuel pump which made a little difference but not much. Then Wednesday I added an Eventuri intake which to all our surprises shot the peak PS to over 420. A bit of fine tuning raised this even more! The i/c is next with a scorpion down-pipe and sports cat to follow and some final fine tuning will/should get the 460 I am looking for.

For the final tune, I have asked that he finds more low end power, even if sacrificing something higher up is necessary. Not sure what is possible though. Maybe not much as wherever it can be found will require the turbo to kick in earlier. Barring a rebore, I am not sure this is possible on the standard turbo and a smaller turbo would just take too much off the top end. We shall see.

Even with the car tuned now to maybe a stage 1, like you I noticed immediately the little extra grunt in second gear. Which is good and what I wanted above all else. I think I shall have to consider a serious remap of the gearbox to enable it to get into third gear a little earlier where the early power will be at its best. The only snag here is that my chap, whilst content to get the most out of the engine is not that confident with gearboxes..!
That's impressive gains from the Eventuri intake!

I just need to be careful I don't get addicted to this tuning malarkey. I was close to signing for a new TTRS but I couldn't justify the numbers. Thought I'd save some money and take a gamble on tuning the RS3 instead. Pleased with my decision.

After much debate, I decided to treat my PFL RS3 to an MRC stage 1 custom tune.

Surprise surprise, the car ran more than the claimed figures, coming in at 380ps and 498nm of torque.

Once Doug had finished, the car was running 439ps and a whopping 630nm of torque. Taking a closer look at the charts shows just how impressive the map really is. At 4500rpm I am seeing gains of 110ps and 180nm of torque!

I very briefly tried a tuning box and couldn't tell any difference. However, the map is just insane. Admittedly my tyres are well past their best and it's wet outside, but the car now wants to light up in 3rd gear. The best way to describe it, is by saying that 3rd gear now feels like 2nd gear previously. You have to now consciously consider if it is safe to use full power in second gear in the wet, such is the violence of the power.

Also had a brief run against an 2015 S8 and was edging away from a 30mph roll.

For those considering a remap, providing you can get around the warranty worries, you will not be disappointed. The car is now rabid.

Well done!
Have you tried it on the motorway yet? The in-gear pick up should be really impressive now.

Not surprised about your comments regarding the tuning box versus a proper custom map (not the plug n play and drive away type of map either). Shame you didn't still have the box fitted for the first dyno run. It's rare to find a true 'real world' result for a tuning box from someone who does not have a vested interest or connection with a tuning company or a distributor who sells them.

No hardware other than secondary decat pipes, which he was adamant wouldn't make any difference other than more noise. I must admit, even I am wondering if it is perhaps a touch too loud now, not so much when accelerating but when downshifting which I reckon would kill a OAP on a drive by downshift!

Ha yeah I bet it sounds good with straight pipes. Interesting that MRC get those sort of gains from a remap whilst APR requires IC, DP and HPFP with stage 2+ software, to get anywhere near that. Goes to show the value of a custom tune I suppose.

RE exhaust isn’t it the decat turbo DP that makes the real difference to air flow in our cars? As you say secondary decat pipes more for noise...

Ha yeah I bet it sounds good with straight pipes. Interesting that MRC get those sort of gains from a remap whilst APR requires IC, DP and HPFP with stage 2+ software, to get anywhere near that. Goes to show the value of a custom tune I suppose.

RE exhaust isn’t it the decat turbo DP that makes the real difference to air flow in our cars? As you say secondary decat pipes more for noise...

The latest APR stage 2+ which includes all the hardware you listed has dyno numbers (mapped at Awesome GTi I believe) that exceed the MRC power figures and had torque peaking at something like 720nm or more on a PFL 8V. However, when the car was ran at Santa Pod this Autumn it didn't beat the two MRC stage 2 cars that were there that day and were running with stock DP's. The APR car seemed to suffer from heat soak despite having uprated IC.

I think the lesson learned is that you can add all the hardware parts you like, change intake pipes and add all manner of go faster parts, but you will have wasted your money if they are not optimised to get the best from them.

Reactions: LSBasi, Tomplumb and (deleted member)
That’s enlightening BB, thank you. Certainly seems like MRC are the guys for me to visit (no surprise though TBF).

We’re the two MRC cars running the stage 2 maps with an IC and HPFP only?

That’s enlightening BB, thank you. Certainly seems like MRC are the guys for me to visit (no surprise though TBF).

We’re the two MRC cars running the stage 2 maps with an IC and HPFP only?

Both MRC cars had uprated IC's (one Wagner and one with Forge) and HPFP's. Both also had DSG maps too. The owner of the APR car was not that experienced at 1/4 mile sprints and the car could have done better times in my opinion. After the second run, his car started to show signs of power loss either through heatsoak or maybe the gearbox not quite being fully sorted when exceeding over 700nm of torque for a DQ500 box?

Reactions: Tomplumb
Well done!
Have you tried it on the motorway yet? The in-gear pick up should be really impressive now.

Not surprised about your comments regarding the tuning box versus a proper custom map (not the plug n play and drive away type of map either). Shame you didn't still have the box fitted for the first dyno run. It's rare to find a true 'real world' result for a tuning box from someone who does not have a vested interest or connection with a tuning company or a distributor who sells them.
Had a good journey out in it tonight. I'm staggered at the difference. It's genuinely violent. But then I suppose an extra 30% torque is going to do that! I mentioned it in an earlier post, but it's now like you're in a gear lower than you are. And you hit some frankly dangerous speeds very quickly.

I'm still not sure about the decat pipes. It's properly asbo now. What the hell a full decat would be like... DSG changes are smooth as silk in auto when gunning it, even with all that torque. Manual changes are that little bit jerky, just like when it was stock. I had read that Audi deliberately engineer this is in so it's more of an event when going manual...this could be rubbish, although I know it was a fact on the R8.

You definitely have to give it more respect now, especially on greasy roads. Stock, you could take real liberties and hit the floor in second gear on slight bends and you'd be ok. The haldex system now feels like it's having to work overtime to keep finding the wheel with best traction and if I did that now, I'd be in a hedge, no doubt.

Had a good journey out in it tonight. I'm staggered at the difference. It's genuinely violent. But then I suppose an extra 30% torque is going to do that! I mentioned it in an earlier post, but it's now like you're in a gear lower than you are. And you hit some frankly dangerous speeds very quickly.

I'm still not sure about the decat pipes. It's properly asbo now. What the hell a full decat would be like... DSG changes are smooth as silk in auto when gunning it, even with all that torque. Manual changes are that little bit jerky, just like when it was stock. I had read that Audi deliberately engineer this is in so it's more of an event when going manual...this could be rubbish, although I know it was a fact on the R8.

You definitely have to give it more respect now, especially on greasy roads. Stock, you could take real liberties and hit the floor in second gear on slight bends and you'd be ok. The haldex system now feels like it's having to work overtime to keep finding the wheel with best traction and if I did that now, I'd be in a hedge, no doubt.
Glad your having fun but the way you are describing this map makes the car sound like a pi..ed off dog waiting to bite you. To me this sounds lethal with the wrong person behind the wheel.

I have the MRC Stage 2 and it’s perfectly sedate and normal, especially if you drive it normally. Nothing asbo about it.

Any car is lethal with an idiot behind the wheel and the map doesn’t make it any worse IMO.

I have the switchable flaps module too. So can have it loud or quiet as required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beebee-one
D0C- did MRC remap the Stronic too? Is it something MRC recommend to make the most out of stage 1?

I don’t think it’s needed on Stage 1 but is useful on Stage 2.
APR who claim big numbers don’t offer a DSG map at all.

I have the MRC Stage 2 and it’s perfectly sedate and normal, especially if you drive it normally. Nothing asbo about it.

Any car is lethal with an idiot behind the wheel and the map doesn’t make it any worse IMO.

I have the switchable flaps module too. So can have it loud or quiet as required.

I don't think my extremely well worn tyres and the wet weather helps! As you say, it drives perfectly nice when pootling about.

Glad your having fun but the way you are describing this map makes the car sound like a pi..ed off dog waiting to bite you. To me this sounds lethal with the wrong person behind the wheel.
No, not at all! As James has said below, the car drives lovely and perfectly normal. If you then plant the throttle you obviously have a serious amount of torque to contend with, which on my current tyres and the weather is...interesting.

No, not at all! As James has said below, the car drives lovely and perfectly normal. If you then plant the throttle you obviously have a serious amount of torque to contend with, which on my current tyres and the weather is...interesting.

I also have the MRC stage 2. When the tyres are 2/3rds worn, its possible to get a controlled 4 wheel drift using the throttle to balance the car. The Haldex 4WD always gets a bit of stick for not being a 'proper' four wheel drive but I have to say that it is amazingly good as the car is capable of going a fair bit beyond what most people perceive to be the limit. Just like to add that this behaviour is strictly for those occasions where you have the appropriate space to try these things out such as a private road or access to a track.

I actually think a good stage 1 map on the PFL car ( and probably the FL model too) is enough to turn what is already an exciting car, into a really fantastic all round fast machine for the road. No need for big turbo conversions etc unless you are chasing drag strip times and pub talk power figures.

Reactions: Tomplumb, D0C and JamesBaby
Think it's £600+vat. Very reasonable for a custom tune by one of the best in the business.

That is very good! I am sure APR is around £800. I have always been a fan of APR but thinking I will be going to MRC after reading all the positive feedback

I actually think a good stage 1 map on the PFL car ( and probably the FL model too) is enough to turn what is already an exciting car, into a really fantastic all round fast machine for the road. No need for big turbo conversions etc unless you are chasing drag strip times and pub talk power figures.

Wise words!

I would add that a Stage 1 map and a "Pedal Box" would be enough. I recently installed a pedal box after getting tired of the pedal response despite trying APR Stage2+ and MRC Stage 2.

Set it to City setting, on maximum and its now lovely and smooth with immediate pick up and torque response low down. (The Sport and Sport+ settings were too aggressive and didn't work well with the gear changes).

What pedal box do you use James? I must confess that I always passed over on the pedal boxes thinking they were just another gimmick, but lately I am stopping to read the claims and maybe worth trying one.

=I actually think a good stage 1 map on the PFL car ( and probably the FL model too) is enough to turn what is already an exciting car, into a really fantastic all round fast machine for the road. No need for big turbo conversions etc unless you are chasing drag strip times and pub talk power figures.

Exactly what I’m going for on my 2020 RS3.
Downpipe, decat, panel filter & MRC Stage 1

Hi
Did the Eventuri give you 420bhp on a standard car that was originally putting out 380bhp, or is the 420bhp figure for after it was mapped and you put an Eventuri on ?

Hi
Did the Eventuri give you 420bhp on a standard car that was originally putting out 380bhp, or is the 420bhp figure for after it was mapped and you put an Eventuri on ?

No performance parts give you any performance increase without the remap to utilise them. Unless we’re talking brakes, tyres, suspension etc