1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Mpg advice on what tdi engine

dentsy Jun 13, 2015

1. dentsy

dentsy Loving my new to me allroad

hi all, I am contemplating lolling for a A6 allroad prob an 07/08 new shape. I read that the 2.7 tdi only returns 32 mpg is this really correct ?
    Is the 3.0 a better motor ?
    Most of my driving is dual carriageway and mway daily, I don't really want a 2.0 tdi after all the issues that I had with my B7 avant BRE. I put around £200 every 4 weeks into my avant for all my trips to work etc.
    Any advice very much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Si

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. dentsy

Bump! Can anyone please help me with what mpg they are returning on theirs ?
    Many thanks

4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

On a V6 your only going to get around 35MPG (2.7/3.0) If I had the choice I would go for the 3.0TDI, but if your concern is MPG then I would not be looking a V6 TDI motor. Plus if you think 2.0TDI is expensive to service/repair then the V6 is going to be a lot more than what your paying now.

5. dentsy

Hi, thanks for the reply . It's not the servicing cost I am worried about its just the better engine I realise that I don't get as much mpg for the bigger engine but I have lost confidence in the 2.0 tdi to be honest due to ha I g to take measures like balance shaft etc as a potential problem . My car is worth around 4.5k now and am considering whether to change it or put another grand into it to have the b shaft and can belt done etc or do I buy a lower mileage one . I do really like the allroad and have seen a nice one with 85k on it at a reasonable cost and it's a 2.7. It's also auto which I like but hear that some of the Audi auto boxes are bad news.
    Thanks,
    Si

6. RoyC

RoyC Registered User

Mine is a 2009 2.7 TDI A6 Avant front wheel drive, I get around 42 mpg and have had no problems with gear box

dentsy likes this.
  7. dentsy

Many thanks for the reply mate
    That's good mpg

8. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

The kind of driving you do on a Mway or dual carriageway would really help your economy. I would expect you would get high 30's, low 40's on that kind of driving.

9. dentsy

Ok that's brill if I get 40 I will be happy

10. RoyC

RoyC Registered User

But it all depends on how heavy your right foot is.
    How fast you accelerate, how hard you brake & how fast you drive.
    I am a very gentle driver, I don't drive fast and don't brake hard. ( I try not to get too much brake dust on my wheels.)
    I used to have a 2008 2.0TDI but wasn't keen on it, so changed to a 2009 2.7TDI. Much better car.
    (I couldn't justify a Quattro, Don't go in snow or off road).

dentsy likes this.
  11. NotNormal

NotNormal Active Member VCDS Map User

I get 40mpg out of my 2009 3.0 TDi Quattro auto on a run, not trying to be economical
    If I try, I can squeeze just over mid 40's
    It's remapped no dpf delete and egr delete .
    Around town, early to mid 20's just driving - mid to late 20's if I try to be econminal.

dentsy likes this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. dentsy

Am I correct in saying that the 2.7 TDV. Means no dpf ?

14. Jconway651

Jconway651 Registered User

Ive got a 3.0TDI v6 allroad of 2007 vintage. If im very light footed i can only just about get 40, that is sat at 75ish on motorway.
    Creeps up a little if doing 60 on B roads that arent stop start with traffic.
    Id say under my normal driving style i get 30-35 but i do tend to drive quickly. Doesnt seem to drop to low in town, id say high 20's but ive never done a full tank MPG calculation made up of town driving as i typically dont do much.
    Mine doesnt have a DPF, but i dont know what year they became standard.
    I get about 500 miles from a tank in the allroad and the same in our a3 difference is the allroad costs approx £25 more to fill.

As far as auto boxes go the 3.0 is almost always the tiptronic box which seems to get very little bad press when compared to the DSG or the multitronics found on other engines.

15. AndyW!

AndyW! Registered User

Hi mate.

I have a 56 3.0tdi saloon.

Just had a 500 mileish round trip from York to Surrey and back and when up and running on the motorway with 4 people in the car, I averaged about 41mpg using cruise control for majority of the way.

Normal town driving is pretty low. I get around 20mpg.

Other roads on a steady run its 30+ but as others have said it really depends on your driving.

16. dentsy

image.jpg Hi guys , well I but the bullet and finally got my Allroad 2.7 tdi drives like a dream averaged 47.5 on a long trip from Manchester yesterday
    Car got all the toys but no sd card reader anyway I can add this as I loved this function on my old rnse

17. AndyW!

AndyW! Registered User

Smart looking car matey. Very impressed with the mpg figures too!

Enjoy.

18. dentsy

Thanks mate just loving this car very very impressed indeed

19. dentsy

hi all, how do I find out what mmi I have ? I got sat nav Bluetooth phone / front and rear parking sensors with display in mmi / 6 disc changer in the glovebox/ phone connection in armrest. Can't seem to find an aux anywhere can it be fitted easily ?

Si

20. B5NUT

You have MMI High 2G. Nothing is cheap when retroffiting on MMI (it's not like your old RNS-E) If you what aux then your will need something like AMI or dension gateway 500.

21. dentsy

Ok so ami is about £100 used I see on eBay or dension is prob cheaper I assume as no coding needed ?

Thanks,

Si

22. dentsy

Does it have to be a dension 500 ? As these look quite expensive

23. B5NUT

They are more than £100 the 8T0 Can based units won't work you need the MOST bus version starting with 4E0, yes it has to be the 500 the cheaper version are CAN BUS not MOST BUS (fiber optic) which is what you require.

24. dentsy

Ok thanks mate will keep my eyes peeled for either a dension or ami whichever I can get cheaper

25. dentsy

Anyone changed their exhaust tips ?
    Mine are a little grubby and Audi say new exhaust lol , let's see what you changed too and how easy it is to do please

26. dentsy

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Some new pics if your interested