Moving to the B8 forum - Ordered a new S4

TheFiftheElement

Reaction score
So after much consideration and deliberation:) and probably many many changes to come, I've placed an order for a new S4.

I'm currently driving a 2014 S3 Sportback S-tronic in Sepang blue:

I've had the car from new, and on paper, it's perfect for my needs. It looks awesome inside and out, it's very quick, it's practical and cheap to insure (I'm 43) and run. So why am I changing it? I am a serial car changer, I get bored very easily and I'm finding (like I did with my last S3 8P) although it's a really good car, it's lacking a bit of character, a quality engine/exhaust note and hasn't inspired me on my local B-roads, feeling a bit floaty and pogo like :confused:

What I would have done previously is go down the modding route (I have a background of running Scoobys). Remap/filter/exhaust/coilovers. However the TD1 flag puts me off remapping. There are a few videos in the 8V forum of guys now running under 9 second 0-100 mph :onthego: but the one thing that sticks out in these videos is no matter how quick you can now modify an S3 to be, it's always going to sound like a 4-pot, and it will not sort the handling issues. The S3 does not need to be any quicker, and that modding it was not going to give me the drive experience I wanted.

I noticed on the Audi website what amazing deals they are currently doing on S4/S5's, so I called my local Audi dealer, and borrowed this for a couple of days:

S5 demo:

Loved it :triumphant: I wouldn't say any quicker than my S3, better throttle response though and oooh the noise!

I have spent the last week considering my options, getting various finance quotes for S5's with different specs/colours and was about to pull the trigger on a deal this morning. I didn't feel 100% though, couldn't decide on a colour, was worried about it being too flash, less practical than my S3. One of the things that bothers me about the S3 is the colour. Sepang is awesome, but I wish I'd gone for something a bit more subtle. Which led me onto looking into an S4.

So less flashy (check), cheaper (check), better finance deal (lower APR, bigger dealer contribution - check), less deposit (check) and less monthlies (check).

Exchanged a few emails with the dealer this morning and have just pulled the trigger :D roll on getting a build week confirmed!

Spec:
Ibis White S4 Black Edition Nav (apart from the pipes will look like a TDi, how much more discreet can you get!)
Alcantara/Leather seats in Lunar/Black (no Super Sports, couldn't justify the £1,400, and I like Alcantara)

Options Added:
2H1 Audi Drive Select
1BL Damper Control
GH2 Audi Quattro Sports Differential
UH2 Hill Hold Assist
6XK Door mirrors - electrically folding and auto dimming
7HB Leather armrests front and rear
4A4 Heated front and rear seats

I'm now off to waste weeks on youtube watching reviews lol ..

Reactions: ERBY, mister.c., AndyB-S3 and 4 others
Good choice ;-)

The S3's are great little cars, amazed what performance you can get out of a 2.0 turbo without any real tuning these days. V6T on the other hand is a pretty incredible engine, if you ever did want to tune it your looking around 500bhp easily with a stage 2 and pulley. Out of the box though it's a great sleeper, and the official figures are under stated, most are returning around 350-360bhp and sub 5 secs to 60.....which is always fun when you have the need to use it and people don't expect you to disappear in a family saloon/estate.

I had test drives in both S4 and S5 before I purchased mine and he S4 handles better. The S5 seemed a bit softer and wallowy when pushed which wasn't what I was expecting.

Love every day in my S4 and find myself just laughing out loud everytime I boot it.

Reactions: scotty76 and TheFiftheElement
So after much consideration and deliberation:) and probably many many changes to come, I've placed an order for a new S4.

I'm currently driving a 2014 S3 Sportback S-tronic in Sepang blue:

I've had the car from new, and on paper, it's perfect for my needs. It looks awesome inside and out, it's very quick, it's practical and cheap to insure (I'm 43) and run. So why am I changing it? I am a serial car changer, I get bored very easily and I'm finding (like I did with my last S3 8P) although it's a really good car, it's lacking a bit of character, a quality engine/exhaust note and hasn't inspired me on my local B-roads, feeling a bit floaty and pogo like :confused:

What I would have done previously is go down the modding route (I have a background of running Scoobys). Remap/filter/exhaust/coilovers. However the TD1 flag puts me off remapping. There are a few videos in the 8V forum of guys now running under 9 second 0-100 mph :onthego: but the one thing that sticks out in these videos is no matter how quick you can now modify an S3 to be, it's always going to sound like a 4-pot, and it will not sort the handling issues. The S3 does not need to be any quicker, and that modding it was not going to give me the drive experience I wanted.

I noticed on the Audi website what amazing deals they are currently doing on S4/S5's, so I called my local Audi dealer, and borrowed this for a couple of days:

S5 demo:

Loved it :triumphant: I wouldn't say any quicker than my S3, better throttle response though and oooh the noise!

I have spent the last week considering my options, getting various finance quotes for S5's with different specs/colours and was about to pull the trigger on a deal this morning. I didn't feel 100% though, couldn't decide on a colour, was worried about it being too flash, less practical than my S3. One of the things that bothers me about the S3 is the colour. Sepang is awesome, but I wish I'd gone for something a bit more subtle. Which led me onto looking into an S4.

So less flashy (check), cheaper (check), better finance deal (lower APR, bigger dealer contribution - check), less deposit (check) and less monthlies (check).

Exchanged a few emails with the dealer this morning and have just pulled the trigger :D roll on getting a build week confirmed!

Spec:
Ibis White S4 Black Edition Nav (apart from the pipes will look like a TDi, how much more discreet can you get!)
Alcantara/Leather seats in Lunar/Black (no Super Sports, couldn't justify the £1,400, and I like Alcantara)

Options Added:
2H1 Audi Drive Select
1BL Damper Control
GH2 Audi Quattro Sports Differential
UH2 Hill Hold Assist
6XK Door mirrors - electrically folding and auto dimming
7HB Leather armrests front and rear
4A4 Heated front and rear seats

I'm now off to waste weeks on youtube watching reviews lol ..
@TheFiftheElement - Hi & :welcome!: to the B8 section! :thumbs up:

Nice spec. :thumbs up:

What wheels did you choose? Saloon or Avant? :think:

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
Welcome to the waiting club,

Good choice, and be good to see some pics up when the day comes.

I just spoke to Audi Uk and they have confirmed mine is now locked in. I can start to feel excited

Enjoy the wait and ohh there is plenty to keep you busy here and on youtube

Reactions: Bristle Hound
@TheFiftheElement - Hi & :welcome!: to the B8 section! :thumbs up:

Nice spec. :thumbs up:

What wheels did you choose? Saloon or Avant? :think:

Bristle Hound, I've gone for a saloon. My wife has a Q5 so we use her car for the stinky mutt, and bikes and any tip runs. Thankfully with a saloon there's no chance of my wife's slobbery mutt getting in it :eek:

I'm still torn about not ordering the Super Sports seats but I am trying to stick to my budget. I didn't put the Sports Seats in my S3, and I can't say I felt as though they did not hold me well enough on a hoon around a B-road. We bought my wife's Audi Approved Used Q5 6 months ago, and I was initially disappointed to find out it didn't have leather. However after spending some time in it, I rather like alcantara. Grippy, never cold, quick brush and it looks lovely.

I liked the stop/start button in the demo, but over £400 for advanced key seemed a lot, so I spent the extra on heated front/rear seats.

I know it's an S5 but I never get bored of watching this...

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Same spec. as mine except colour, and I have the adaptive lights and not hill hold (my S4 holds on a hill without it incidentally ??)
Love the S4, really enjoying it. Coming from a TT, in comparison I have to say, when set in dynamic and with the sport diff. the S4 really doesn't handle too badly for a lard ar*e :)
You'll not regret your choice :thumbs up:

The demo S5 I had did not have hill hold or hold assist or whatever it's called (and my S3 does). I really missed when I was sitting at traffic lights being able to just take my feet off all the pedals (without pulling on the parking brake) while the lights were red .. for such a small amount of £ it was a no brainer ..

@TheFiftheElement hope you dont have to wait too long for your new car. Nice spec. :) x

Wow awesome! Well done. Since BH changed to his S4 I have been finding myself looking at them more and more.. On youtube do a search for "Vader S4" Absolutely freckin awesome!!! lol

All the best when it comes along! :)

Reactions: TheFiftheElement and Bristle Hound
Wow awesome! Well done. Since BH changed to his S4 I have been finding myself looking at them more and more.. On youtube do a search for "Vader S4" Absolutely freckin awesome!!! lol

All the best when it comes along! :)
@AndyB-S3 - This one? :D:D:D

Reactions: xpoweruk and AndyB-S3
Yup BH. I think i maybe posted that in yoursl thread too. Lol. Epic and i have to watch it at least 2 or 3 times a week. Lol. :)

Yup BH. I think i maybe posted that in yoursl thread too. Lol. Epic and i have to watch it at least 2 or 3 times a week. Lol. :)
Must admit I watch it rather a lot too. Don't think my neighbours would love it as much tho' ... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just realised this thread has almost exactly the same title as my wait thread. This is going to be very confusing. :think:

Just realised this thread has almost exactly the same title as my wait thread. This is going to be very confusing. :think:

Yes jdp1962 sorry, I did notice ur thread and just changed the title a wee bit. Apologies! Still at least 2 threads to keep checking while we wait!!

An elderly neighbour of mine just commented on how nice the exhaust on my S4 sounded as I got home and he was out walking his dog. Felt like saying wait till I get the Amytrix on there and then see how you feel :tapedshut:

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and scotty76
Woo-Hoo I got an order reference number this morning, and all the finance has been approved ..

Now the hard part, which Bristle Hound will appreciate, sticking to the spec lol ..

I'm afraid I've already been on the configurator this morning and added the storage pack, and the high beam assist .. :confused: .. I'm really struggling to stay away from advanced key o_O

Woo-Hoo I got an order reference number this morning, and all the finance has been approved ..
Nice one :thumbs up:
Now the hard part, which Bristle Hound will appreciate, sticking to the spec lol ..
Don't know what you mean ... :whistle2::D
I'm afraid I've already been on the configurator this morning and added the storage pack, and the high beam assist .. :confused: .. I'm really struggling to stay away from advanced key o_O
Good idea about the storage pack :thumbs up:
@TheFiftheElement - Advanced key? Have a read of this. It may change your mind (but I have a feeling you have already read it ;)) :thumbs up:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/advanced-key-please-read.242257/

@Bristle Hound - thanks, and as you might have expected I've already read it ..

To be honest, I'm just being a tart :p I just want a starter button that glows on the console, I've no real interest in the car locking/unlocking by itself :cool: and certainly not for £460 ..

Just keep reminding yourself that cars with keyless entry are easier to nick (allegedly)............should hopefully save you £460 :)

@Bristle Hound - thanks, and as you might have expected I've already read it ..

To be honest, I'm just being a tart :p I just want a starter button that glows on the console, I've no real interest in the car locking/unlocking by itself :cool: and certainly not for £460 ..
If it helps, separate starter buttons are not the future. They're actually a throwback to the 1950s before car design progressed to combining the ignition snd starter into one key-activated operation.

Reactions: ERBY
If it helps, separate starter buttons are not the future. They're actually a throwback to the 1950s before car design progressed to combining the ignition snd starter into one key-activated operation.

No @jdp1962, that doesn't help .. I still want one lol ... it's the drama of having a button glow and then hearing the starter motor spin up and the V6 kick in .. pushing a key in a hole just isn't as cool, even turning a key is better hehe ..

Welcome to the club!
We really are going to have to rename this section of the forum ‘S4 owners’

Reactions: scotty76
Brilliant!:D

Welcome 'TheFifth' to SUPERCHARGED HEAVEN!! - Lovely spec & would like to formally welcome you to my - 'Non Super Sport Seat..absolutely love 'em but couldn't justify them either..but gotta draw the line somewhere for gawds sake Club' (If you wish to join, that is!? - No subscriptions necessary:D)

I agree with your comments about Sepang, it has to be my favourite colour but in the end I was overcome by the need for more stealth;)

Let the wait pain begin….

Reactions: scotty76
Did someone say "Sepang" again? I so wanted that colour but it was an Audi exclusive when I ordered, couldn't have it. I'm still crying. :sorrow:

@scotty76 - don't cry, it's soooo last year to have a Sepang car ... that's why I'm not ordering the colour this time around ..

Seriously though, it is a beautiful colour, but I am getting a little bit bored of it on my S3, I'm a bit of a hermit and it's a wee bit bling for me ..

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
Seriously though, it is a beautiful colour, but I am getting a little bit bored of it on my S3, I'm a bit of a hermit and it's a wee bit bling for me ..

That cheers me up a bit. My kids wanted Misano Red but I was worried it was too in your face. :) It is a nice colour all you Misano owners it just wasn't for me, plus I worried about the lacquer peel issue it seems to suffer from.

would like to formally welcome you to my - 'Non Super Sport Seat..absolutely love 'em but couldn't justify them either..but gotta draw the line somewhere for gawds sake Club' (If you wish to join, that is!? - No subscriptions necessary:D)
Yup, I'm in there too ;):D
@scotty76 - don't cry, it's soooo last year to have a Sepang car ... that's why I'm not ordering the colour this time around ..
@TheFiftheElement - :eek: Ouch!
tears.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: ERBY and Keef
Haha @Bristle Hound ... If you haven't had Sepang before then I'd go for it ... If my S3 hadn't been Sepang that's the colour I would have ordered for my S4, but I'd have been torn again with the black edition, I think Sepang works better with the chrome ..

It seems to be very popular on all the S cars now, and that's because it's a lovely colour, I'm just not sure it's exclusive any longer .. most of the S3's up here in Aberdeen appear to be Sepang.

I spotted an Ibis white, Black Edition, A4 saloon taxi while walking to the gym today, 19" rotors too, so basically looked exactly like my car (well apart from the 4 tail pipes) actually made me smile that I'll be a bit more under the radar now ..

@David J - I've spec'd Alcantara so can I join the gotta draw the line somewhere for gawds sake Club :thumbs up:

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76
Haha @Bristle Hound ... If you haven't had Sepang before then I'd go for it ... If my S3 hadn't been Sepang that's the colour I would have ordered for my S4, but I'd have been torn again with the black edition
Feel better now :D
I think Sepang works better with the chrome ..
Agreed :thumbs up:
I spotted an Ibis white, Black Edition, A4 saloon taxi while walking to the gym today, 19" rotors too, so basically looked exactly like my car (well apart from the 4 tail pipes) actually made me smile that I'll be a bit more under the radar now ..
Having had an ibis white B8 A4 ( http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...udi-a4-2-0-tfsi-quattro-s-line-saloon.225569/ ) I'm in the opposite position to you
If it hadn't been sepang blue it would have been misano red or ibis white if I hadn't had it before
@David J - I've spec'd Alcantara so can I join the gotta draw the line somewhere for gawds sake Club :thumbs up:
Another team member :laugh::laugh::laugh:

@Bristle Hound - nice Ibis white saloon (the best shape), how are you feeling about getting back into an A4?

Interested to hear your thoughts, especially the interior, as you obviously were considering an S3 which, I guess, is more representative of what the new A4 interior will look like (modern, minimalist) .. do you feel the S4 is dated?

I worry sometimes about replacing one car with the same one interior wise, as when you sit in it you think, hmmm, I've spent a heap of cash, was it really worth it, well until you start the engine I guess :D

@Bristle Hound - nice Ibis white saloon (the best shape), how are you feeling about getting back into an A4?

Interested to hear your thoughts, especially the interior, as you obviously were considering an S3 which, I guess, is more representative of what the new A4 interior will look like (modern, minimalist) .. do you feel the S4 is dated?

I worry sometimes about replacing one car with the same one interior wise, as when you sit in it you think, hmmm, I've spent a heap of cash, was it really worth it, well until you start the engine I guess :D
@TheFiftheElement - Still kinda miss my old ibis white A4

This will be my fourth A4, new B6 A4 2.0 SE saloon, then a B7 A4 2.0TDI 140bhp saloon, then the ibis white A4 then the S4. I think this was the crux of my indecision over the S3 TBH

Some will say the S4 interior is dated. Me? I don't think so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say lol

I can't find any pics of the interior of my ibis white A4, but suffice to say it will be different enough for me to notice I'm in a different car me thinks
For example - My S4 has a flat bottomed SW, 1/2 alcantara trim, piano black inlays, s-tronic, B&O sound system, leather door armrests, ADS, DC, ILP, storage pack, parking system plus all of which of ibis white A4 didn't have

TBH I'm not sure I will be able to afford / want to pay that much the new B9 S4 either

& the icing on the cake - the 333bhp 3 litre V6 supercharged engine :jump:

Reactions: TheFiftheElement and jdp1962
My take on this is similar to @Bristle Hound's. I've had, in order, a B5 1.8, a B5 2.8 Quattro, a B6 2.4SE, and the current B7 3.0TDi. The B6 and B7 are virtually identical to each other, and represent only a very slight update over the two B5s. So, whilst the quality is still peerless, the layout is very dated.

B8 world will seem like a massive leap forward.

My take on this is similar to @Bristle Hound's. I've had, in order, a B5 1.8, a B5 2.8 Quattro, a B6 2.4SE, and the current B7 3.0TDi. The B6 and B7 are virtually identical to each other, and represent only a very slight update over the two B5s. So, whilst the quality is still peerless, the layout is very dated.

B8 world will seem like a massive leap forward.
@jdp1962 - When I moved from the B7 A4 to the B8 A4 I found a massive difference in quality and standard fit equipment Jeff. You won't be disappointed my friend :thumbs up: