Moving on - my view on the S3

ldn

Reaction score
No apologies for terrible SPAG - it is what it is!
Whilst having been active on other forums (namely motorbikes) I have never really posted on here but have found it a very useful source of information.
I bought my facelift S3 new in 2017 and as the PCP came to the end and being in positive equity (driven by the shortage of new cars due to Covid) I decided to move on to an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio which I have had for the last month or so.
Spec on the S3 was:
- Daytona Grey
- Super Sports Seats
- Tech pack
- Folding mirrors (how is this a paid option!)
All must have options. In hindsight (and if I was not being frugal) I would have also gone for the adjustable dampers and 19s (whick look better IMO), auto dimming mirrors (an oversight when I spec'd the car- the amount of times I was blinded by 4x4s!) and maybe a pan roof (although in reality it is a v. expensive sunroof).

5 Things I loved
1) The straight line speed and launch control is bonkers - if you aren't launching the car you are missing out. It is truly unbelievable how quick it is from a standing start. Especially at this price bracket
2) The fit and finish - class leading interior and ergonomics IMO. Although I think Merc have now caught up/overtaken in the A class also against the new A3
3) Looks - very subjective of course but I think the facelift will age well especially with the sharp / aggressive lines.
4) Virtual cockpit - very trick and one of the biggest USPs of the car. Rarely used for maps (I will come onto that) but for vehicle information / switching radio stations was much better than a conventional instrument cluster. I also think far more safer than having to look a the centre screen
5) Space - in comparison to other hatch backs I think the A3 platform has the edge over the merc and the bmw. Plenty of cabin space for 4 adults (+1 smaller / kid) on a long journey and all their luggage. The BMW had terrible boot space and the merc cabin felt tighter when I test drove them.
*Special mention for quattro but this is more an Audi thing - car was really great in the snow / terrantial rainfall

5 Things I hated (really disliked)
1) Handling - I know this isn't the focal point of the car but I really didn't enjoy the car at all in the twistys. I think this is a massive shame consider the Golf R is the same platform yet Audi has seemingly nanny'd the set up to the point the steering is numb, the car understeers way to much vs its performance and the suspension lacks compliance.
2) No carplay functionality with virtual cockpit - I am a big user of apple carplay and not being able to use waze in the virtual cockpit was a huge dissapointment and in the end detracted from my experience with the car. The compass was a bit of a pisstake. A mirror of the centre console screen would have been sufficient
3) Bose sound system - really was quite disappointing and I think there are better sound systems in the Merc and BMW with far more adjustability. I never enjoyed the music in the car - it always seemed distant
4) Extended leather in the interior. The dash looks cheap with the plastic trim. Really it should be covered in leather. An option to do this should be offered.
5) Brakes / Accelerator pedal feel - I lumped these together as these were really minor gripes. The accelerator pedal really isn't very progressive and has quite a big initial dead spot. I know this can be solved with coding but i really CBA. The brakes were just about up to the task, but given the speed of the car really needed a bit more stopping power. Fade with the factory pads was pretty poor so I quickly changed them out.

Overall
This is a bit of brain dump from me and really I just wanted to summarise how I felt about the car having owned it for 4 years. Honestly, if someone asks me what is the best car to buy I would tell them to go pick up a facelift S3 / RS3 as bang for your buck I dont think there is a better car available on the used market. It should satifsy all your daily needs whilst also being a high quality and refined product. But in terms of driving enjoyment it is a bit of a one trick pony, that being its straight line speed. Decent for motorway driving but falls very short when you start taking corners quickly. I think this is what drove me to the Quadrifoglio as my next car. A bit of an overcompensation of the audi's shortcomings which I knew before I bought the car - but certainly not to the extent that came apparent during ownership.

Would be interested in hearing everyones opinions. Also those who have moved onto other vehicles.

Reactions: Bells and Jassyo06
No apologies for terrible SPAG - it is what it is!
Whilst having been active on other forums (namely motorbikes) I have never really posted on here but have found it a very useful source of information.
I bought my facelift S3 new in 2017 and as the PCP came to the end and being in positive equity (driven by the shortage of new cars due to Covid) I decided to move on to an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio which I have had for the last month or so.
Spec on the S3 was:
- Daytona Grey
- Super Sports Seats
- Tech pack
- Folding mirrors (how is this a paid option!)
All must have options. In hindsight (and if I was not being frugal) I would have also gone for the adjustable dampers and 19s (whick look better IMO), auto dimming mirrors (an oversight when I spec'd the car- the amount of times I was blinded by 4x4s!) and maybe a pan roof (although in reality it is a v. expensive sunroof).

5 Things I loved
1) The straight line speed and launch control is bonkers - if you aren't launching the car you are missing out. It is truly unbelievable how quick it is from a standing start. Especially at this price bracket
2) The fit and finish - class leading interior and ergonomics IMO. Although I think Merc have now caught up/overtaken in the A class also against the new A3
3) Looks - very subjective of course but I think the facelift will age well especially with the sharp / aggressive lines.
4) Virtual cockpit - very trick and one of the biggest USPs of the car. Rarely used for maps (I will come onto that) but for vehicle information / switching radio stations was much better than a conventional instrument cluster. I also think far more safer than having to look a the centre screen
5) Space - in comparison to other hatch backs I think the A3 platform has the edge over the merc and the bmw. Plenty of cabin space for 4 adults (+1 smaller / kid) on a long journey and all their luggage. The BMW had terrible boot space and the merc cabin felt tighter when I test drove them.
*Special mention for quattro but this is more an Audi thing - car was really great in the snow / terrantial rainfall

5 Things I hated (really disliked)
1) Handling - I know this isn't the focal point of the car but I really didn't enjoy the car at all in the twistys. I think this is a massive shame consider the Golf R is the same platform yet Audi has seemingly nanny'd the set up to the point the steering is numb, the car understeers way to much vs its performance and the suspension lacks compliance.
2) No carplay functionality with virtual cockpit - I am a big user of apple carplay and not being able to use waze in the virtual cockpit was a huge dissapointment and in the end detracted from my experience with the car. The compass was a bit of a pisstake. A mirror of the centre console screen would have been sufficient
3) Bose sound system - really was quite disappointing and I think there are better sound systems in the Merc and BMW with far more adjustability. I never enjoyed the music in the car - it always seemed distant
4) Extended leather in the interior. The dash looks cheap with the plastic trim. Really it should be covered in leather. An option to do this should be offered.
5) Brakes / Accelerator pedal feel - I lumped these together as these were really minor gripes. The accelerator pedal really isn't very progressive and has quite a big initial dead spot. I know this can be solved with coding but i really CBA. The brakes were just about up to the task, but given the speed of the car really needed a bit more stopping power. Fade with the factory pads was pretty poor so I quickly changed them out.

Overall
This is a bit of brain dump from me and really I just wanted to summarise how I felt about the car having owned it for 4 years. Honestly, if someone asks me what is the best car to buy I would tell them to go pick up a facelift S3 / RS3 as bang for your buck I dont think there is a better car available on the used market. It should satifsy all your daily needs whilst also being a high quality and refined product. But in terms of driving enjoyment it is a bit of a one trick pony, that being its straight line speed. Decent for motorway driving but falls very short when you start taking corners quickly. I think this is what drove me to the Quadrifoglio as my next car. A bit of an overcompensation of the audi's shortcomings which I knew before I bought the car - but certainly not to the extent that came apparent during ownership.

Would be interested in hearing everyones opinions. Also those who have moved onto other vehicles.

I had the 2017 S3 saloon for 3 and half years just sold it 4 weeks ago mag ride and larger/wider tyres does improve the handling a bit over the Sport back l had every interior option box ticked and the red design pack took the interior to another level the finest car l have owned and sorry l never launched it lol launched my previous S3 though but still sold it on why ???? I wanted something more sportier looking but with the same interior build qualities and that is a 2021 TTS 320 ps of which l am still waiting on coming from the factory nothing out there appealed to me
the new 8Y has disappointed me in so many areas ....so that was never an option
I am driving my mums 150 ps A1 black edition just now until my car arrives l miss the power but l miss the quattro even more don't like a manual gearbox
The 2017 FL S3 is the finest variant of the 8V or l will go one further the best A3/S3/RS3 ever and like you say very well sought after on the used market l clawed back over £5k on the sale l actually could have sold it for more but l wanted the process of selling it on made as short as possible
And yeah l miss it at times
2da6530b5e7c1a0d1788ae3f1327d2f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ldn and Bells
I had the 2017 S3 saloon for 3 and half years just sold it 4 weeks ago mag ride and larger/wider tyres does improve the handling a bit over the Sport back l had every interior option box ticked and the red design pack took the interior to another level the finest car l have owned and sorry l never launched it lol launched my previous S3 though but still sold it on why ???? I wanted something more sportier looking but with the same interior build qualities and that is a 2021 TTS 320 ps of which l am still waiting on coming from the factory nothing out there appealed to me
the new 8Y has disappointed me in so many areas ....so that was never an option
I am driving my mums 150 ps A1 black edition just now until my car arrives l miss the power but l miss the quattro even more don't like a manual gearbox
The 2017 FL S3 is the finest variant of the 8V or l will go one further the best A3/S3/RS3 ever and like you say very well sought after on the used market l clawed back over £5k on the sale l actually could have sold it for more but l wanted the process of selling it on made as short as possible
And yeah l miss it at times
2da6530b5e7c1a0d1788ae3f1327d2f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
This is a stunning car my friend. Love the colour, shame to see it go!

Reactions: ldn and Jassyo06
I’ve had two S3’s both facelift 8V’s and overall they were great cars. Echo similar sentiments to what’s been said above really, with regards to pros and cons. A replacement was difficult to come by, none of Audi’s current models interest me apart from maybe a TT. The new S3 (8Y) hasn’t grown on me at all, prices are so inflated and quality is getting worse :whistle2:

So when I got offered a great price on my S3 I took a sideways step into a low mileage 17 reg S5, plenty more toys and some V6 noise. Much more luxury than the S3 and still have all that power and Quattro. Plus the build quality of this current B9 gen seems to be solid. Residual values seem good too with Audi not offering petrol anymore, so win win for me.

Enjoy the Alpha!

Reactions: ldn, Jassyo06 and X25ARN