Facelift Moving on from the S3...

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all.

It's that time I'm afraid where I've decided to part ways with the S3. It's been a pretty good car, really quick, laugh out loud grip and stability and quite economical for a 310Ps motor. The technology in the car is impressive, with ACC, Mag-ride and VC some of the options I ticked and I will miss some of those features. I won't miss the dimb witted S-tronic box, vague steering and often bouncy ride quality.

So, I'm moving back to the blue oval badge... a Fiesta ST. Several reasons, but most of all, it's a really fun little car and I don't do the big mileage a used to, so a auto box etc isn't really needed now.

Should be with me in just over 6 weeks time, so I'll pop back with some photos and a short review when I can.

I'll still hang around as I'm still a big Audi fan - no doubt will own one again at some point. Most of all, to be nosy with what everyone on here is upto lol.

Reactions: MikeParkin, BarryG79, Mythos and 7 others
Hi all.

It's that time I'm afraid where I've decided to part ways with the S3. It's been a pretty good car, really quick, laugh out loud grip and stability and quite economical for a 310Ps motor. The technology in the car is impressive, with ACC, Mag-ride and VC some of the options I ticked and I will miss some of those features. I won't miss the dimb witted S-tronic box, vague steering and often bouncy ride quality.

So, I'm moving back to the blue oval badge... a Fiesta ST. Several reasons, but most of all, it's a really fun little car and I don't do the big mileage a used to, so a auto box etc isn't really needed now.

Should be with me in just over 6 weeks time, so I'll pop back with some photos and a short review when I can.

I'll still hang around as I'm still a big Audi fan - no doubt will own one again at some point. Most of all, to be nosy with what everyone on here is upto lol.
Congrats mate. ASN is a good forum (Audi owner or not) and some "discussions/views" are really interesting, although some take it to personally.
I think a few of us are moving on to try different things for different reasons and that is not a bad thing. The ST is a cracking motor and in the right hands will make a few larger powered cars look silly. I'm sure you will enjoy it mate and like you said you can always go back to an Audi.
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: MikeParkin and NevMan
My wife has a new Fiesta, albeit a basic model, and I've been really impressed with it. I'm sure you'll love the ST!

Reactions: MikeParkin and NevMan
Hi all.

Keep us posted on the Fiesta. Was about to order a 5 door ST-2 just before my S3 died. Need that back first before looking at ordering a new car.

Congratulations on the new motor, we’re any others considered? I’m struggling what to replace the S3 with.

Congrats on the purchase!

I’d certainly be interested in seeing some pics of the ST when it arrives and hearing some of your initial impressions

@Mark_86 congrats on the incoming new car. Look forward to the pics. :)

The Fiesta ST is a cracking little car, although I cant help feeling it is a backward step from your S3.
I see Ford have finally dropped the ST1 from the range like they did with the Focus....just took them a bit longer with the Fiesta.
Which model and colour are you getting....presumably ST3 to keep some of the toys you have been used to? The Performance Edition is just way too expensive in my opinion - £4k more than an ST3, although you do get the best colour of Deep Orange which is unique to that model. :D
I've always liked Ford cars, and the ST models are the pick of the bunch.
I'm sure you will love it....and as already said, please post pics when you get it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan

Someone on here has just ordered one to replace their A1 :) It's also on my list as a possible next car for the same reason as yours, I now do about 50% less miles than when I had the S3 and the ST is still a fun car. What colour are you after? I like the silver fox, but the bumper match is a bit hmmm.

The Fiesta ST is a cracking little car, although I cant help feeling it is a backward step from your S3.
Yeah obviously it is, but the cost is a lot lot less. After discounts: You can get the ST3 with a £1,000 deposit on a pcp for around £270 over 36 months. I looked at a basic S3 sportback with the same deposit and term and it came in at over £450 per month!

Hi mate knew it would be another Ford for you before l even read your intro post on this thread....lol
My wifes fiesta St line is a nice car....
Main gripes are the poor paint and the utterly dreadful headlights ....hopefully you've gone for the optional led ones....Fords .....?good cars at a certain price point....chap up the road from my mum has just got a Frozen White Focus ST....er...sounds good...but...for a focus St yer talking over £34k no focus is worth that ...besides l think the Fiesta is the better looking between both....rear camera and the Verbal Sync 3 interface are better than audis guff...enjoy

Reactions: Jcbmally, MikeParkin, S32B and 1 other person
I see Ford have finally dropped the ST1 from the range like they did with the Focus....just took them a bit longer with the Fiesta.
Which model and colour are you getting....presumably ST3 to keep some of the toys you have been used to? The Performance Edition is just way too expensive in my opinion - £4k more than an ST3, although you do get the best colour of Deep Orange which is unique to that model. :D
I've always liked Ford cars, and the ST models are the pick of the bunch.
I'm sure you will love it....and as already said, please post pics when you get it. :)

When researching about the Fiesta ST. It's the ST3's that get stolen due to the keyless go. You can pretty much spec up an ST2 to ST3 levels, and not have the worry of it being stolen within 5 second. People are resorting to fixing plates over the OBD port so they can't access it. But if that becomes a popular addition, the thieves with just take a drill to get it off quickly.

Plus, it won't stop it being broken into. They'll see the starter button, see ST3, and get inside.

When researching about the Fiesta ST. It's the ST3's that get stolen due to the keyless go. You can pretty much spec up an ST2 to ST3 levels, and not have the worry of it being stolen within 5 second. People are resorting to fixing plates over the OBD port so they can't access it. But if that becomes a popular addition, the thieves with just take a drill to get it off quickly.

Plus, it won't stop it being broken into. They'll see the starter button, see ST3, and get inside.
I hear what you're saying, but both models have the same keyless start so could be stolen in exactly the same way once the scum are inside?
The ST3 has the addition of keyless entry, but now has a fob which goes to sleep after a short period of inactivity to prevent relay theft.
You are right about speccing an ST2 up to ST3 level because I believe the only thing you cant add to the ST2 is heated front seats and steering wheel. It would no doubt cost a bit more to add the options to an ST2 compared with the ST3 price.

I hear what you're saying, but both models have the same keyless start so could be stolen in exactly the same way once the scum are inside?
The ST3 has the addition of keyless entry, but now has a fob which goes to sleep after a short period of inactivity to prevent relay theft.
You are right about speccing an ST2 up to ST3 level because I believe the only thing you cant add to the ST2 is heated front seats and steering wheel. It would no doubt cost a bit more to add the options to an ST2 compared with the ST3 price.
Yeah and by the time you add all the extra bits on top of the ST2 price you're not a million miles away from the ST3 price, the only difference would be when you come to sell on/trade in, you'd lose more on the ST2, as we all know you don't get the money back for options!....so may as well just get the ST3 and GAP insurance :)

Yeah and by the time you add all the extra bits on top of the ST2 price you're not a million miles away from the ST3 price, the only difference would be when you come to sell on/trade in, you'd lose more on the ST2, as we all know you don't get the money back for options!....so may as well just get the ST3 and GAP insurance :)
man maths at it's best :whistle2:

Reactions: Jcbmally, taks1, S32B and 1 other person
I have ordered a basic ST2 to replace my A3. Wasn't fussed for ST3 as I don't want leather or 18" wheels.

I'm not a huge fan of "toys" but the ST2 is pretty well equipped. Large screen, Android Auto, climate, heated screen, B&O stereo, lane thingy that I don't need, cruise control I do, amazing recaro sports seats that I think are heated.

Paying less per month than a basic SE A1 would cost for a 200 PS car with superb handling.

Reactions: S32B and TYb
amazing recaro sports seats that I think are heated.
No I mentioned this earlier.....heated seats and steering wheel is about the only thing that can't be added to an ST2.
Not that you are bothered about that in this weather. :D

Reactions: NevMan, TYb and KenL

Is that right? They can still plug into the ODB port on the ST2, and away they go?

That's the Fiesta ST crossed off the list then.

so may as well just get the ST3 and GAP insurance :)

Not quite sure I'd go along with that theory. Then when you get another car your premium is up, as you've had to claim.

And you also have the added stress of having your car stolen. Something I'd rather avoid. Especially if you're no where near home when it happens.

Is that right? They can still plug into the ODB port on the ST2, and away they go?

No. They need to clone the key or something as well I believe.

I don't think the Fiesta is more easily stolen than any other car.

Reactions: cuke2u

With 2018+ keyless entry fords they come with fobs to prevent relay attacks. They stop sending signals after a certain amount of time of not detecting movement. Ford has done this, so has mercedes but audi are slow off the mark.
Relay attacks can also be prevented using other method, however personally I would ignore all the doom and gloom merchants as a lot also depends upon the area on where you live.
We had fords with keyless since 200i, including fiesta's, and not one has been stolen.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/ma...uces-new-keyfob-to-prevent-relay-attack-theft

There are more fiesta's sold in this country than any other car year by year, hence the numbers stolen will 'look' greater....

Reactions: KenL
My brother's first ST was nicked after 13 days of ownership!
He's now got the best wheel lock, fake OBD port and an immobiliser of some sort.

I presume so, it was gone in minutes, there was CCTV of the guy getting in and shortly after driving off

Not quite sure I'd go along with that theory. Then when you get another car your premium is up, as you've had to claim.

And you also have the added stress of having your car stolen. Something I'd rather avoid. Especially if you're no where near home when it happens.
I agree nobody wants their car stolen, but if we are all going to start worrying about if our car is going to get stolen, then we either just buy basic cars or keep them locked away in the garage. If you are making an ST2 look like an ST3 by adding the alloys, they are still going to try and take it if that's their plan.

And you can't argue with the math! No discounts added, just using the Ford site with £1,000 deposit from the customer

ST2 with the options that are standard on the ST3:
St2 with options
St2 price

The ST3 with no options:
St3

St3 price

For me it would be the ST3 all day long, everything on it as standard and saving 1p per month lol :p

A few months my mate in work had his car broken into, they tried to take the car but failed, it was a diesel Ford Kuga. Yet within 60 ft of him was my A5 coupe, my mates BMW 5 series, an M3, Hyundai i30N, Golf GTi, focus ST and a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X...non of those were touched! So it's not always the fast sporty cars they go after. And yes we all park together (extreme parking at its best :))

Good to hear @Mark_86 I doubt any of us use our cars to there full potential, that be for the tech or the power etc.

Personally the ST is a great car, good fun, great handling etc. We could all drive bangers to get where we need to go but at the end of the day we like cars and that’s that.

Happy driving.

Reactions: Mark_86 and S32B
We could all drive bangers to get where we need to go but at the end of the day we like cars and that’s that.
lol nail on the head, for the miles I do these days I'd probably manage on a scooter :p

Reactions: MikeParkin
lol nail on the head, for the miles I do these days I'd probably manage on a scooter :p

Funny you say that as I’ve said if I did not have my works van I’d have a scooter/bike to get to work. I used a bike for years to commute to work when I was in the army and absolutely loved it.

Bring back the good old days.

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
I agree nobody wants their car stolen, but if we are all going to start worrying about if our car is going to get stolen, then we either just buy basic cars or keep them locked away in the garage. If you are making an ST2 look like an ST3 by adding the alloys, they are still going to try and take it if that's their plan.

And you can't argue with the math! No discounts added, just using the Ford site with £1,000 deposit from the customer

ST2 with the options that are standard on the ST3:View attachment 187308 View attachment 187309

The ST3 with no options:
View attachment 187310
View attachment 187311

For me it would be the ST3 all day long, everything on it as standard and saving 1p per month lol :p

A few months my mate in work had his car broken into, they tried to take the car but failed, it was a diesel Ford Kuga. Yet within 60 ft of him was my A5 coupe, my mates BMW 5 series, an M3, Hyundai i30N, Golf GTi, focus ST and a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X...non of those were touched! So it's not always the fast sporty cars they go after. And yes we all park together (extreme parking at its best :))

Great work there @S32B, this PROVES that man maths is infallible....let's all go and inform our other halves (Oh dear, going to start s3xist comments now).

In all seriousness, very often the higher standard spec cars are cheaper, at least on finance due to future value / balloon being higher.

In all seriousness, very often the higher standard spec cars are cheaper, at least on finance due to future value / balloon being higher.
Yep and that's the problem Im having when looking to downsize!