Moving on from A4 - Q3 or Q5?

Psychoscot

Reaction score
So, I've had the A4 for 3 years out of my 4 year dealer PCP, after three years in an A3. Have a 5 year old and a 7 year old kid. Other half hates the A4 (at least partly because the gearbox is a bit dodgy but Audi refuse to fix). Looking to change to a Q3 or Q5. Am favouring Q3 at the moment, but looking at configurator on website, and a bit of googling, it would appear that electric front seats aren't an option - only available on Vorsprung (this is an issue as I am 6' and other half is 5'4"), and bizarrely there are no keyless options - no keyless entry or ignition. Anyone know if these are correct?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The further up the Audi range you go ye more you find as standard. However, in 2020MY onwards on the A4 and A5, Audi have omitted electric seats on S-Line that were standard from 2018MY in the UK.

It's all to do with emissions and associated weight of the vehicle.

Hi There

I have driven all these cars, and had them for a while as courtesy cars.

One thing that you may not be aware of, but may or may not matter to you, the Q3 is basically the A3 platform, and the Q5 the A4 platform. Imagine each car as the normal car on stilts. The Q3 traditionally has the same interior as the A3, Q5 the A4.

So the Q5 is more in line with the A4 in terms of the step up in quality from the A3, the Q3 is just a higher up A3 - Same will apply to the standard options etc.

Personally I'd go for the Q3 sportback as the design of the exterior looks better than a jacked up estate car.
Oh and the interiors are a tad different:
A3:
A3

Q3:
Q3

If it were me I would get a Q5.

Try driving a Q3 and you will understand, it’s noisier less comfortable and plastic feeling compared to the A4.

I haven’t tried the most recent Q3 but if it’s anything like the most recent A3 then it’s not as good an the A4 in terms of comfort refinement and drive.

looks good though, but that’s about it.

Reactions: tickedon
Q5 if I was making the decision, especially the new one. But.... The Q3 Sportback is very, very nice - rare and far nicer than the Q3

Keyless is standard on the Vorsprung - basically it comes with everything as standard (apart from a space saver spare wheel!).

Wife has the 40 TFSI version and Ive now got an S5 having owned had a couple of A5s which are pretty similar to the A4 before that. Key advice would be to try to test drive one if you have not already - I use both regularly and they are deliver completely driving experiences.

Overall the Q3 is a very practical car, loads of room in the back for the kids, has all of the latest tech. Driving position is obviously very different, I prefer being sat lower whereas wife prefers the additional height of the Q3.

The Q3 feels a bit slower given its size (it feels a big car so imagine the Q5 will feel bigger still) but is surprisingly quick but is definitely less refined and noisier than the A5 when pushed. The more powerful engines are only available with Autos. You mentioned the gearbox on your A4 is a bit doggy - be useful to understand what you mean by this. Despite being a 40 when pulling away from junctions / roundabouts the Q3 can feel quite hesitant when in comfort or eco modes. Using dynamic overcomes this.

Personally can live without the keyless go - for me the cons outweigh not having to press the key fob to open and close the car. Electric seats are fine but are much slower to move and there isn’t a memory function.

The biggest negative for me is the Q3‘s economy - on short runs/around town it does around 22 mpg and on a long run that increases to around 30 - 35 mpg which is less than the TTRS i had before the S5

Hope that helps

Keyless is standard on the Vorsprung - basically it comes with everything as standard (apart from a space saver spare wheel!).

Wife has the 40 TFSI version and Ive now got an S5 having owned had a couple of A5s which are pretty similar to the A4 before that. Key advice would be to try to test drive one if you have not already - I use both regularly and they are deliver completely driving experiences.

Overall the Q3 is a very practical car, loads of room in the back for the kids, has all of the latest tech. Driving position is obviously very different, I prefer being sat lower whereas wife prefers the additional height of the Q3.

The Q3 feels a bit slower given its size (it feels a big car so imagine the Q5 will feel bigger still) but is surprisingly quick but is definitely less refined and noisier than the A5 when pushed. The more powerful engines are only available with Autos. You mentioned the gearbox on your A4 is a bit doggy - be useful to understand what you mean by this. Despite being a 40 when pulling away from junctions / roundabouts the Q3 can feel quite hesitant when in comfort or eco modes. Using dynamic overcomes this.

Personally can live without the keyless go - for me the cons outweigh not having to press the key fob to open and close the car. Electric seats are fine but are much slower to move and there isn’t a memory function.

The biggest negative for me is the Q3‘s economy - on short runs/around town it does around 22 mpg and on a long run that increases to around 30 - 35 mpg which is less than the TTRS i had before the S5

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info. Re: gearbox, I have the manual, and it's sometimes reluctant to engage 1st - needs a bit of a shove/couple of attempts. Maybe 10% of the time. It also once in a car park refused to engage first - every time I put it in 1st it was in reverse, eventually had to pull away in 2nd - I'm not even sure how that's possible...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

My PCP was due to end and didn't want to swap into a facelift A4, so moved from a 66 plate A4 Sline 2.0 TFSI 190, to a Q3 sline sportsback 35 1.5 150, back in November... Although not out and about as much, think I have only seen 2 other Q3 sporstbacks on the road.
With the facelift A4 basically been the same car it was to replace, with the loss of manual box on the 2.0l varient and the MMI wheel, it made sense to me to change model.
All done contactlessly with only a half hour test drive, but wanted to stay in a manual box, so limited to choice.
It doesn't have the smile factor the A4 had when pressing the go pedal, don't think it would be fair to compare.
So far have done 1600 miles, all short trips, so not really driven properly... 300miles a month, instead of 300 a week
Fuel economy
Q3 to date around 35mpg, hope this will improve!!
A4 long term average (tracked) was 39MPG, of course this was all journey dependant. had seen as low as 34 to a high of 46 mpg between tank refills
Is it as refined as the A4? again different, it is small changes. no doubt cost saving measure, do miss the keyless start still putting keys onto the drivers seat. There is no 4 way lumbar support on front seats. Stainless pedal set and footrest in the A4, is pedal set only with plastic footrest, no USB socket or 12v supply in rear, just 2 USB and 12v socket in front. Plenty of room in rear for carseat with 9 year old son, he prefers this car.
Paying attention to the rear camera and not mirrors, causing driver error, turned passenger door into gate post, has tainted my view of been up on stilts over the lower A4 height, will get round to the repair one day. I no longer look at the camera screen.